The Princess Bride (1973)

by William Goldman

21,239483126 (4.27)3 / 666
A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts.
1970s (7)

English (475)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (482)
I expected more of a straight fantasy novel, or at most the back-and-forth between a kid and his grandfather the way they did it in the movie. I did *not* expect to hear about the intricacies of local Italian politics and why they're boring or about the author's personal life. Things that are decidedly not meant for kids (especially the introduction). Very meta. Is it weird that I still want to read this to my kids, but without the meta-ness? Is that the point?? Whoa... ( )
  levan.matthew | Jul 17, 2021 |
Let me down at the end. It just got boring - already knew the story, but none of the good classic lines and moments from the film made it into the book. It's like he was trying too hard to make things seem like an adaptation.

However, the style was excellent, the back story and extended time with the characters was great, and Goldman's interruptions were spot on. It only suffers in that it's the same story only without some of the charm of the film.

Now, if Goldman were to write Buttercup's Baby and EXTEND his characters, I would be very interested to read that work. I hope he does. ( )
  youngheart80 | Jun 15, 2021 |
Thrilling, romantic and satirical all at once. ( )
  Jimbookbuff1963 | Jun 5, 2021 |
This is one of the funniest books I have ever read, almost up there with Terry Pratchett and Roald Dahl.

There are so many wonderful things in this book: the characters, the quotes, the adventure, the imagination!

It did bother me Goldman's portrayal of Buttercup, the fact that the only good thing about her was her beauty. I know this book is a satire, but objectification of women is not right. It felt somehow of bitterness.

However, I am still going to read it again in the future... I don't know how I managed to live 34 years without reading the Princess Bride. This book has way too many good things, and I cannot help but forgive Goldman and give this book 4 stars.

Clarissa_ | May 11, 2021 |
I don’t know what I can say about it other than it’s definitely worth reading! I have heard other critiques about how Buttercup is even more useless than she is in the movie, which is mostly true, but she does still have her moments! And there are so many good scenes that the movie got perfect, plus deeper backstories for Inigo and Fezzik, and Goldman’s writing style and ‘abridgment’ is so unique! ( )
  vvbooklady | May 6, 2021 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Simon Morgenstern is both a pseudonym and a narrative device invented by Goldman to add another layer to his novel The Princess Bride

A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts - The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini - the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik - the gentle giant; Inigo - the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen - the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup's one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,377,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible