The Princess Bride by William Goldman

The Princess Bride (1973)

by William Goldman

18,592444126 (4.28)3 / 639
Recently added byEmmyAnn1097, kayleem, Haasiophis, private library, Mussel, liannecollins, gwmcm911, Slape, mchowell
1970s (5)
Satire (85)

English (437)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (443)
I've probably seen the movie a hundred times, but somehow I'd never actually picked up the book before. Not surprisingly, I found it a thoroughly amusing read. ( )
1 vote JBD1 | Mar 31, 2019 |
Having adored the movie for many years, I thought I'd go back and read the book it was based on. There's claim it's an abridgement, but not so much...

Overall, I rate this a very good story, very enjoyable. I was surprised that the audio was only 3 and a half hours long. I expected longer. Perhaps I didn't expect a 3 hour book to be distilled down to a 90 minute movie. Could have fit much of it in...

I loved finding out more about the backgrounds of Fezik and Inigo. It adds so much more to the characters.

One difference from the movie but still making it fun: The zoo of death is instead of the pit of despair. ( )
  gilroy | Feb 8, 2019 |
this review may contain spoilers but I'll mostly try to refrain from it - but a bit is necessary. You've been warned.

I'm having a little trouble writing a review about this book. I really enjoyed this book on most levels and on some levels I don't. The story starts with an author of whom we get a little background story and then it is about this book that the author was read to by his father: The princess bride by S. Morgenstern. This S. Morgenstern however does not exist and I've noticed that this confuses a lot of people. There are several people that think that the original the princess bride would be much better than this shortened version. Except there is no original. It's just a way for the author to tell this story.

In the beginning the book can be a bit confusing - I thought for a moment that maybe it was another book entirely - but I urge you to keep reading. The author thinks his son might like this book as well and after spending time tracking it down he gives it to him as a birthday present. His son however hates the story and when the author himself tries to read the book, he understands why. when his father read the book to him he left a lot of the book out. Wanting that book again, he decides to right that version of the book. This is where the story actually starts.

The story is... well, about many things. Namely a princess named buttercup, a farm boy named Wesley, Prince Humperdinck, true love, death, swords, the truth, giants, adventure, castles, torture, fights, poison, kidnap, sadness, great men, murder, creatures and many more. Telling you more of the story would ruin it in my opinion.

But I will say that I really liked this book, laughed out loud several times - which books don't make me do often - I was dying to find out how it would end. The author interrupts the story sometimes, but it's not really annoying. I didn't think I'd like this book, but I ended up enjoying it a lot. I did feel the ending was a bit rushed compared to the rest of the book. But all in all, a great read that I'd recommend. ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
Inconceivable! In surprised how close the movie that i love is to the book! ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
I am very glad I read this book. It is not like anything I can remember reading. Fun, engaging, classical but with quirky humor ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

Goldman, Williamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts - The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini - the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik - the gentle giant; Inigo - the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen - the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup's one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:01 -0400)

A writers views on life and art are revealed in his effort to edit the children's classic that shaped his literary ambitions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,117,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible