The Princess Bride (1973)

by William Goldman

22,655501127 (4.27)3 / 677
A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts.
1970s (7)

English (490)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (499)
3.5, rounded down.

love is many things, none of them logical.

If the movie had not been such a rolicking good time, this book might have made a greater impression. As it is, the movie is a real favorite and one of the rare times that the movie exceeds the book by far. Which isn’t to say the book isn’t a bit of fun--it is. This edition has some marvelous illustrations.

Another one I can check off the list. Made me want to watch the movie again…”Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya; you killed my father; prepare to die.”
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
3.5 stars.

This was tough. I enjoyed the books, but at the same time I can see why some people don't. The interludes, while amusing, got old. Some wete just way too long and boring. And the "Buttercup's Baby" extra...I could have lived without it.

I did enjoyed the story and the whimsy. It was full of adventure, romance, and humor. I enjoyed the character developement and learning more of the backstories of everyone. I think I could read this again minus the interludes. ( )
  ViragoReads | Jul 15, 2022 |
Great fun!! I want to see the film now! ( )
  Estragon1958 | May 23, 2022 |
This was a pleasant tale about a young girl who became a princess, who married a bad king, then became a queen. Then she was rescued by her true love, and a couple of rogues, who ended up saving the day.
I really enjoyed reading this story, mainly because it had the same jokes, and the same incidents as the movie, which I loved too. ( )
  deaflower | May 19, 2022 |
Every word of The Princess Bride is either hilarious or hilariously offensive! Fuck you, Goldman, women aren't objects... but hey, man, let me buy you a drink. Your little book is wild. ( )
  brutalstirfry | May 6, 2022 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Simon Morgenstern is both a pseudonym and a narrative device invented by Goldman to add another layer to his novel The Princess Bride

A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts - The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini - the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik - the gentle giant; Inigo - the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen - the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup's one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

4 1957

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,081,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible