Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett

Wyrd Sisters (1988)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (6), Discworld: Witches (2)

9,980133459 (4)361
The Ramtops are suffering from a situation strangely reminiscent of Shakespeare's "Scottish play." Can Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and young witch Magrat set the kingdom to rights before the usurper banishes all witches?
    Macbeth by William Shakespeare (Tallulah_Rose)
    Tallulah_Rose: "Wyrd Sisters" is a parody of "Macbeth", so everyone who enjoyed "Macbeth" might also like "Wyrd Sisters". On the other hand it's essential to have read "Macbeth" before reading "Wyrd Sisters".
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (unlucky)
    unlucky: Both are comedic with insight and satirical in nature, making fun of conventions in their respective genres.
    The Princess Bride by William Goldman (norabelle414)
    The Table of Less Valued Knights by Marie Phillips (charl08)
    charl08: Humour, magic, and a crack at gender stereotypes in fantasy.
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (norabelle414)

English (126)  French (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (133)
I'm not a huge Pratchett fan, as I think his books tend to be filled with a lot of cleverness and not much substance. That said, I've enjoyed the (now two) Discworld books I've read that feature Granny Weatherwax (this one and [b:Equal Rites|34507|Equal Rites (Discworld, #3)|Terry Pratchett|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1168566177s/34507.jpg|583611]) more than the others and fully intend to read more of her. My interest wavered occasionally, inversely proportional to the bits Granny was in, though the novel never quite achieves the hilarity of the initial theatre scene, where the witches are the worst audience members ever. ( )
  Jeeps | Sep 21, 2019 |
Another fun story. This time Macbeth-ish! Pratchett, even while borrowing heavily from other stories, has a truly unique and irreverent spin to add to his tales. ( )
  Mactastik | Sep 4, 2019 |
Terry on Shakespeare. Cracking as always. ( )
  HenryRawlingson | Jul 1, 2019 |
As good as I remembered :) ( )
  tronella | Jun 22, 2019 |
This was my first Discworld book. I was a little worried, mostly because I heard Terry Pratchett's humour is very unique, and because Good Omens was a disappointment - but I actually ended up loving this one.

Now I'm not sure if I should try Death or Tiffany next. It's not likely I'll ever read 40 books, but hey, maybe in ten years. ( )
  runtimeregan | Jun 12, 2019 |

Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salmenoja, MargitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The wind howled. Lightning stabbed at the earth erratically, like an inefficient assassin.
The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it regularly went cuckoo.
"Actors," said Granny, witheringly. "As if the world weren't full of enough history without inventing more."

Witches are not by nature gregarious, and they certainly don’t have leaders.

Granny Weatherwax was the most highly-regarded of the leaders they didn’t have.

But even she found that meddling in royal politics was a lot more difficult than certain playwrights would have you believe…

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,744,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible