Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett

Wyrd Sisters (1988)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (6), Discworld: Witches (2)

9,122121327 (4)333
    Macbeth by William Shakespeare (Tallulah_Rose)
    Tallulah_Rose: "Wyrd Sisters" is a parody of "Macbeth", so everyone who enjoyed "Macbeth" might also like "Wyrd Sisters". On the other hand it's essential to have read "Macbeth" before reading "Wyrd Sisters".
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (unlucky)
    unlucky: Both are comedic with insight and satirical in nature, making fun of conventions in their respective genres.
    The Table Of Less Valued Knights by Marie Phillips (charl08)
    charl08: Humour, magic, and a crack at gender stereotypes in fantasy.
    The Princess Bride by William Goldman (norabelle414)
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (norabelle414)

English (115)  French (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (121)
One of the best DiscWorld books that I have read so far! ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 26, 2017 |
All Magrat Garlick ever wanted was to be part of a proper coven. She’s new to witchcraft and takes it all very seriously, from the garlands of flowers to the moon-worship and the amulets, and it would have been nice to have fellow witches who appreciated the value of a proper sabbat. But instead she has steely Granny Weatherwax, who can’t be having with all this modern nonsense, and riotous Nanny Ogg, who’s usually to be found singing that classic Discworld drinking song, The Hedgehog Can Never Be Buggered At All. And Magrat has to prove to them that she’s a proper witch! And that isn’t all, because there is something dark afoot, something that the three of them must tackle. Something is rotten in the state of Lancre, and the witches may be the only ones who can save the day…

For the rest of the review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2017/01/10/wyrd-sisters-terry-pratchett/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Jan 10, 2017 |
Cross Hamlet and other Shakespearian plays with Pratchett, and this is what you get. Good stuff. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The real start to the Lancre witches books is great. I really liked Equal Rites, but this book was different. It wasn't really about women breaking into a male field. It was about women doing witch magic. A different path, but no less entertaining. Nanny Ogg sure is something. And Granny. And Magrat. I'm glad Lancre has them to take care of it. Also, the Shakespeare allusions/parody were wonderful. Makes me almost want to read Macbeth! ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
In my review of the first Discworld book, The Colour of Magic, I wrote of needing to see more of Terry Pratchett's 'elusive brilliance' that his fans trumpeted. In my review of the third book, Equal Rites, I wrote of how I was still waiting on the 'Rubicon instalment' that would make me a convinced adherent to the Disc. And I think that now, in Wyrd Sisters, my search has ended.

That's not to say Wyrd Sisters blew me away; some of the old foibles rear their heads again, not least the busy plotline which threatens to derail towards the end (it manages to hold it together). But when you've been around them long enough – and I'm six books in now, remember – these sorts of things often seem like quirks rather than flaws. In other words, they're not just forgivable but are all part of the established character and style of the series.

Rather, I think this is my Rubicon instalment because there has been a steady accumulation of positive vibes I've felt towards these books, as they increase in both humour and intelligence. The Discworld is just a great place to spend some time, and not just for simple fun but also to exercise your mind. Pratchett writes a number of hilarious scenes in Wyrd Sisters, most notably the sergeant reporting back to the duke after he failed to arrest a witch (pp44-5). But more remarkably, there are many scenes which are hilarious not only because of any inherent humour in the situation but because of the author's gift for manipulating the language. I'm thinking of the genius 'apple-seller and logic' scene on page 110 here. It's a significant deployment of a weapon in Pratchett's arsenal that he has been honing since the throwaway puns and asides of earlier books.

Indeed, Wyrd Sisters is the book that has made me a committed fan because it is clear that, by now, the books have become firmly established as more than just a vehicle for jokes; a promising trend that first picked up speed in Mort. There's a bit on page 192 when the character Hwel is writing a play and it becomes apparent that, through Hwel, Pratchett is lampshading many of the characteristics of his previous books. Pratchett is glorying in the heady heights of meta-fiction which he had been scaling in previous books. There's also some unique descriptive passages which weave humour and prosing into an intoxicating blend, like the 'winter in the Ramtops' scene-setter on page 60.

Whilst I've enjoyed all the other books in the Discworld series so far, this is the first one where I've realized: 'wow, Pratchett is an excellent writer'. Not just an excellent writer of comedy, which is impressive enough in itself, but an excellent writer. And it's not the endearing characters or the Shakespearean allusions (Wyrd Sisters is a parody/homage to both Macbeth and Hamlet) or the expanded vocabulary; it's all of it. It's the underlying talent, the no-longer-elusive brilliance, which brings everything out to blossom. I'm committed; I know that, over the course of years, I will now read and enjoy each and all of the Discworld books. Alea iacta est. ( )
2 vote MikeFutcher | Oct 19, 2016 |

Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salmenoja, MargitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The wind howled. Lightning stabbed at the earth erratically, like an inefficient assassin.
The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it regularly went cuckoo.
"Actors," said Granny, witheringly. "As if the world weren't full of enough history without inventing more."

Witches are not by nature gregarious, and they certainly don’t have leaders.

Granny Weatherwax was the most highly-regarded of the leaders they didn’t have.

But even she found that meddling in royal politics was a lot more difficult than certain playwrights would have you believe…

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020664, Mass Market Paperback)

Terry's Pratchett's profoundly irreverent novels are consistent number one bestsellers in England, where they have catapulted him into the highest echelons of parody next to Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen.

Meet Granny Weatherwx, the most highly regarded non-leader a coven of non-social witches could ever have. Generally, these loners don't get involved in anything, mush less royal intrigue. but then there are those times they can't help it. As Granny Weatherwzx is about to discover, though, it's a lot harder to stir up trouble in the castle than some theatrical types would have you think. Even when you've got a few unexpected spells up your sleave.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:17 -0400)

The Ramtops are suffering from a situation strangely reminiscent of Shakespeare's "Scottish play." Can Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and young witch Magrat set the kingdom to rights before the usurper banishes all witches?

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,408,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible