Macbeth

by William Shakespeare

22,871198121 (4.01)650
This new edition of Macbeth for South African schools and collages has been updated to include comprehensive text notes and commentary throughout. This edition includes: an eight-page photographic gallery of scenes from various productions of the play. informative background information on Shakespeare and Elizabethan England an introduction to the play, the themes and characters a synopsis of the action in each scene line-by-line text notes giving explanations of unfamiliar words, interpretations of meanings, and stimulating commentary a selection of notes, illustrations, ideas and activities to increase your understanding of the play questions providing valuable examination practice a list of references offering suggestions for further reading and other useful resources an extensive glossary of useful words and literary terms."… (more)
    Hamlet by William Shakespeare (Pattty)
    Pattty: Si te gustó Hamlet seguro te gustará Macbeth, que es una historia buena y mucho más "macabra"
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (Tallulah_Rose)
    Tallulah_Rose: "Wyrd Sisters" is a parody of "Macbeth", so everyone who enjoyed "Macbeth" might also like "Wyrd Sisters". On the other hand it's essential to have read "Macbeth" before reading "Wyrd Sisters".
    Richard III [Norton Critical Edition] by William Shakespeare (kara.shamy)
    King Lear by William Shakespeare (kara.shamy)
    The Witch by Thomas Middleton (aethercowboy)
    Throne of Blood [1957 film] by Akira Kurosawa (lucy.depalma)
    Balladyna by Juliusz Słowacki (sirparsifal)
    Macbeth by Jo Nesbø (Vulco1)
    Vulco1: It's there in the title. The Jo Nesbo one is a great update and reinterpretation.
    Breaking Bad: Season 1 by Vince Gilligan (lucy.depalma)
Ghosts (3)
Read (10)
Uni (3)

English (184)  French (4)  Spanish (4)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (197)
Well, seldom has an author taken a few lines out of Hollingshead, and a bare mention in The Anglo Saxon Chronicle and spun a classic play from them. This play is one of the core Shakespeare Great Plays. Read it, then read it again, see it on stage, on film, read it aloud with a group of friends, just live with it for the rest of your life. You'll feel better for doing so. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Mar 30, 2022 |
What in the world can anyone say about one of Shakespeare's most famous tragedies? That it is a bloodbath. No poisonings. No smotherings or stranglings. No shootings. Every death brings the killer face to face with his victim. The killer must thrust the knife or swing the sword, feeling the flesh resist then tear, hearing viscera and fluids gush then drip, and heed the shrieks and groans of the injured, the rattle of death from the dying. Few are spared, not women and children, not the elderly. Inevitably, blood flows freely, staining murdered and murderer alike.

And why?

Macbeth, a warrior, is played like a fiddle by three creepy, scuzzy gorgons. First, they tell him of an honor he knows he bears. Then they tell him of an honor he'll soon learn has been settled on him. And finally, they hook him with the notion that he could be king. Here is a warrior, by profession a killer. He can apply his job skills, make the king dead, and assume a new role. Except the King has two healthy sons (also warriors), one of whom could reasonably expect to succeed Dad in the family business. Then too, there are Macbeth's brethren in the warrior fraternity who would rightfully desire to avenge the murder of their king.

In the final scene of Act I, Macbeth has it out with himself, concluding "I have no spur/To prick the sides of my intent, but only/Vaulting ambition, which o'erleaps itself/And falls on the other." In plainer terms, the only motivation for this murder is ambition. To him, it's not enough. "We will proceed no further in this business…" he tells his wife. But she plays that fiddle too, questioning his manhood, accusing him of cowardice. "I have given suck," she says, "and know/How tender 'tis to love the babe that milks me:/I would, while it was smiling in my face,/Have pluck'd my nipple from his boneless gums,/And dash'd the brains out, had I so sworn as you/Have done to this."

Yow! His goose is cooked.

[Macbeth] is one of Shakespeare's last works. First performed four hundred years ago, in 1606, it has been performed regularly every year since (probably). Here are some famous lines:

WITCHES: Fair is foul, and foul is fair.
(Act 1 Scene 1)

MACBETH: Is this a dagger which I see before me,
The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee:
I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.
(Act 2 Scene 1)

MACBETH: Methought I heard a voice cry, "Sleep no more!
Macbeth does murder sleep: the innocent sleep,
Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleeve of care,
The death of each day’s life, sore labor’s bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great nature’s second course,
Chief nourisher in life’s feast.”
(Act 2 Scene 2)

WITCHES: Double, double toil and trouble:
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.
(Act 4 Scene 1)

SECOND WITCH: By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes.
(Act 4 Scene 1)

LADY MACBETH: Out! damned spot! One, two, — why, then ‘tis time to do’t. Hell is murky. Fie, my lord, fie, a soldier and afeard? What need we fear who knows it, when none can call our power to account? – Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him.
(Act 5, Scene 1)

LADY MACBETH: All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand.
(Act 5, Scene 1)

LADY MACBETH: What’s done cannot be undone.
(Act 5, Scene 1)

MACBETH: To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(Act 5 Scene 5)

You ought to read it, methinks. I dodged it for more than a half-century, but now I'm content. I'd suggest reading an edition that pairs Shakespeare's text with a contemporary "translation". The Spark Notes version I read has the original text on the left, a modern text on the facing page. Worked for me.
3 vote weird_O | Mar 11, 2022 |
The play is the shortest of Shakespeare’s tragedies, without diversions or subplots. It chronicles Macbeth’s seizing of power and subsequent destruction, both his rise and his fall the result of blind ambition. Macbeth and Banquo, who are generals serving King Duncan of Scotland, meet the Weird Sisters, three witches who prophesy that Macbeth will become thane of Cawdor. ( )
  Marcos_Augusto | Jan 24, 2022 |
No matter how many times I read/teach this play, I still love it!

Shakespeare was THE master! ( )
  djlinick | Jan 15, 2022 |
One of my favorite stories EVER. I love Shakespeare's language and how he writes (most) of his female characters. Lady Macbeth steals the show, I absolutely love her. She is the OG Cersei Lannister. She is so foul, conniving, manipulative, and such an iced-over monster of a woman. I want to be her when I am older. The fall into madness all the characters go through is so twisted and brilliant. The Macbeths deserved their fate, but that doesn't you can't appreciate the power and intelligence they held as a couple. One of my favorite Shakespeare stories. ( )
  LilySmyth23 | Nov 4, 2021 |

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

When shall we three meet again
In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes.
Out, damned spot! out, I say!
Yet do I fear thy nature;

It is too full o' the milk of human kindness.
The attempt and not the deed
Confounds us.
Please distinguish between this work, which is Shakespeare's original play, from any of its many adaptations (audio, video, reworking, etc.).

Macbeth è uno dei picchi dell’immensa creatività di Shakespeare. Scozia, XI secolo. Istigato da apparizioni soprannaturali e da una moglie ambiziosa, il barone Macbeth uccide re Duncan e s’invischia in una catena di delitti fino a prendere coscienza della vanità del mondo e della diabolica insidiosità delle profezie. Con l’aiuto delle truppe inglesi, la nobiltà lealista, guidata da Macduff, uccide l’usurpatore ristabilendo l’ordine. Shakespeare condensa diciassette anni di storia in un tempo apparente di poche settimane, porta in scena coscienze logorate dal Male, dà vita a personaggi immortali, come quello di Lady Macbeth, miscela di cupidigia, odio, follia. Da questa tragedia Verdi trasse un’opera memorabile e il cinema, grazie a Welles (1948), Kurosawa (1957), Polanski (1971), e ora Branagh (2013) e Justin Kurzel (2015), non ha mai smesso di esplorarne le potenzialità poetiche.
(piopas)
If he had waited,
The crown might have come to him,
Legitimately.
(hillaryrose7)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451526775, 0140714782, 0141013699

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909676977, 1909676969

Recorded Books

3 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1456100017, 1449877478, 1470332027

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,587,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible