dismiss

Hamlet

by William Shakespeare

26,32822879 (4.16)1 / 1096
Distressed by his father's death and his mother's over-hasty remarriage, Hamlet, Prince of Denmark is faced by a spectre from beyond the grave bearing a grim message of murder and revenge. The young Prince is driven to the edge of madness by his struggle to understand the situation he finds himself in and to do his duty. Many others, including Hamlet's beloved, the innocent Ophelia, are swept up in his tragedy, Shakespeare's most famous and one of the great stories in the literature of the world.… (more)
    Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (Voracious_Reader, kxlly)
    Voracious_Reader: Existentialist, tragicomedy based on Shakespeare's Hamlet. Very different from Shakespeare's Hamlet and yet there's a definite, deep connection between the two.
    Macbeth by William Shakespeare (Pattty)
    Pattty: Si te gustó Hamlet seguro te gustará Macbeth, que es una historia buena y mucho más "macabra"
    King Lear by William Shakespeare (kara.shamy)
    Let Me Tell You by Paul Griffiths (alanteder)
    alanteder: A novel from Ophelia's point of view constructed using only the 481 words used by Ophelia in the play (from all Quartos and First Folio editions). The technique is called Oulipo, creating a literature work using constricted, limited resources.
    La vida es sueño by Pedro Calderón de la Barca (Sergio88)
    Sergio88: Perhaps the spanish play most similar to Hamlet.
    The Tragicall Historie of Hamlet Prince of Denmarke by William Shakespeare (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: The modern text of Hamlet and the First Quarto make an interesting and thought-provoking comparison. Little is known about the foundations of Q1, but it opens the door of endless speculation about Elizabethan authorship, publishing, piracy and what not.… (more)
    Hamlet by Dmitri Shostakovich (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: The music by Shostakovich is ideally experienced in Kozintsev's movie for which it was composed, but it stands well on its own as a symphonic poem and makes a fine soundtrack to the play as well.… (more)
    Ophelia by Lisa Klein (Anonymous user)
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (kara.shamy)
    Shakespearean Tragedy by A. C. Bradley (DLSmithies)
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (kara.shamy)
Ghosts (4)
Read (7)

English (199)  Spanish (8)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  All languages (223)
“Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Mercutio.” So begins Hamlet, the last play Shakespeare wrote before his untimely death saving a bus full of orphans in the Great Fire of London. Actually that's a lie, but writing anything original and true about Hamlet seems almost futile, it's like whispering at a The Who concert. Here we are, four hundred years (ish) since the play was written and there are currently some four thousand articles published each year about it. If you sat down and watched Kenneth Branagh's 1996 film version (with a toilet break in the middle) then by the time the end credits rolled there would be two new articles waiting for you.

It's presumably getting to the point where the articles can be quite meta. Indeed, quite a lot of this Arden edition's introduction is given over to exploring why people still feel the need to probe the play quite so deeply. (There are about 130,000 letters in the text of Hamlet According to this Wikipedia page.. That means that if you went through the play and for every letter in the text you read an essay on some aspect of Hamlet then you'd run out of letters before you ran out of essays. That's rather deep scrutiny right there.)

With that in mind, perhaps I'll keep this short. Hamlet is a ripping little yarn about revenge, madness, and – depending on who you ask – hesitation. Because so much of the play is in the cultural consciousness by now, at times reading it feels like watching a film that you've seen too many trailers for. But despite knowing generally what was going to happen and even vast swathes of dialogue, it still manages to do all those things that a good play should: move, amuse, and improve. ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |

leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |
So there are all these expressions we use that we don't really understand. Take 'glued to the spot'. We use it, we know what it means, but I would say virtually nobody has ever actually seen somebody 'glued to the spot'. I have. I have watched somebody being so transfixed that he had to be forcibly taken away. My understanding of the expression is now completely different from what it was.

Then there is 'beside herself with grief'. You say it. You think you know what it means. But then something happens and you realise the true horrific nature of it. So, I wonder how many people actually really understand Ophelia. Me, I've lived for 50 years, had some things happen in life that you'd call pretty awful, but only right now do I understand it.

---------------------

Too early one morning. I always thought Ophelia was a woose. I'm really so dreadfully sorry for having not understood. I'm about as empathetic as a plank of wood.

------------

Fucked if I know, Hamlet. You might be lying there wondering if you should have taken advice from your friends about what to do, you might be thinking that things couldn’t have ended up worse that way, but I don’t know, mate. I’m with you, I’ve always done hard things alone, but I no longer seem strong enough to do that. My heart is plastered all over my face and although for a few weeks lately that’s been a good thing, mostly it has been quite terrible. Actually, most of my friends can’t even see my face or my heart, but they can hear it. And they are bombarding me to save me.

Marcia says to me ‘you are carrying an intolerable sadness, you have to go to a doctor and get drugs’. I say ‘But Marcia, All I have to do is sort my life out…’ and she laughs – genunine peals of laughter. ‘My dear Cathy, the point is that the drugs will give you the strength and balance to do that. You can’t do it on your own.’ And I say ‘When I get home, Marcia, maybe I’ll see –‘ and she says ‘Today. You go today. It doesn’t matter who the doctor is. It doesn’t matter if he knows you. He will know what to give you. And it won’t be forever, it will just be something to get you straight now. Then you fix your life up.’ We hang up. I make an appointment. Later, curled up in bed, I call to cancel.

Nick, wise, and a good chess player says to me to have the strength to do it on my own and when I squeak out that I’ve never been in a situation that makes me feel so weak, that if I was ever strong, now I’m not, he says ‘You’re a chess player, be a chess player. A chess player faces the worst and fights his way out. You know that, how many times have you done it? You are in a dark, terrible place, but impose your iron will and your iron mind.’ And all I can think of is that I’m a crap chess player, I was always a crap chess player, I think back on how often I have lost. I’m weak, I’m not strong.

Andrew writes ‘Suicide is a powerful consolation, said Nietzche, by thinking about it one gets through many a bad night. Hesse picked up the same idea in Steppenwolf, although it's not the most robust of his books…as consolations go it's not the first choice. Tea seems better. But the kitchen can be a long way from the bedroom, that's something I do know.’ And suddenly I feel so much better about what has been occupying my thoughts. I hadn’t realised it was a consoling thing to do. Then he adds the things he has tried to get out of such places. Psychiatrist. Exercise. Choir.

James tells me I have to have sex with somebody else ‘You go on about how wonderful the sex is with the person you’re in love with, but maybe it isn’t really.’ You may observe that this is simply a self-serving argument on James’ part since he wants to go to bed with me, but James is constitutionally incapable of saying anything other than the truth. I close my eyes and can’t imagine anything better than the sex I’ve lately had. That does not mean, however, that he isn’t right. Eyes still closed, I wonder if I had sex with James, or anybody, and it was better or worse, which of those scenarios would be more horrible. And why would it fix things up either way. It isn’t like it is just about sex.

Harry says ‘fight’ and when I say I think it is against my principles, I have presented myself and if I am found wanting then how can it be right to fight, he says ‘when you are on your deathbed, what will make you happy is not that you were principled, but that you fought for what you wanted.’ And I say, but Harry, I have nothing to fight with. Nothing. This man can just turn me off, make me not exist with a flick of a switch. Harry is still thinking about that.

So, Hamlet. The stuff you had to go through may have done your head in, but look at all this most excellent advice. It is all different, it is from the hearts of friends who love me, it is all…impossible. You want my honest opinion? Nothing else you might have done would have helped. But I don’t know, Hamlet, fucked if I know.
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
Hamlet Shakespeare'den okuduğum ilk eser oldu.

Hamlet dizilerde, filmlerde veya kitaplarda sıklıkla karşımıza çıkan bir eser, haliyle konusunu ve sonunu birçoğumuz biliriz. Ben de Hamlet'in sonunu bildiğimi sanıyordum meğerse tiyatro bildiğimden daha farklı bitiyormuş. Bu sayede kitabın sonundan keyif alabildim.
Hamlet karakteri yeri gelince sözleri komikleşen yeri gelince de sözleri trajikleşen etkileyici bir karakter. Kısa konuşmalarının tamamı mükemmelken, tiradlarının sonunu okurken başını unuttuğum için tiradlarınınokuması benim için zor oldu.

Biraz da çeviri konusuna değineceğim. Okuduğum Sebahattin Eyüboğlu çevirisiydi ve hayatımda okuduğum en kötü çevirilerden biri oldu. Kitapta "Allah aşkına, aman yarabbi, Allah'a ısmarladık, ölün jandarması " gibi ifadeler havada uçuşuyor. Aşırı Türkçeleştirilerek kitabın bütünlüğüne zarar verilmiş.
Hamlet okumak isteyen varsa farklı bir çeviriden veya orijinal dilinden okunmasını öneririm. ( )
  Tobizume | Jun 9, 2020 |
The only Shakespeare plays I had read before this were Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth, Macbeth being my favorite. Having now read Hamlet, I can honestly say that Macbeth is still my favorite.

Let's discuss.

So, Hamlet himself is an emo icon, and also a misogynist, who basically goes crazy, murders someone, and essentially ruins everything.

The ending came a little too quickly for me, tbh. There wasn't enough time to really develop any other characters. It was pretty quotable, though. Really, it gave me more Romeo and Juliet feels than Macbeth feels. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Dec 9, 2019 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Amleto ( [1908]IMDb)
Amleto ( [1908]IMDb)
Act 1, Scene 1
Enter Barnardo and Francisco, two sentinels.

Barnardo
Who's there?
Bernardo. Who’s there?
Francisco. No, answer me: Stand and reveal yourself.
Bernardo. Long live the King.
Francisco. Bernardo?
Bernardo. He.
Francisco. You come most promptly on your hour.
Do not, as some ungracious pastors do,
Show me the steep and thorny way to heaven,
Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine,
Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads.
And recks not his own rede.
Alas, poor
Yorick!—I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infi nite
jest, of most excellent fancy:
This above all — to thine ownself be true;
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
(Claudius) O, my offense is rank, it smells to heaven;
It has the primal eldest curse upon it—
A brother’s murder!—
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Please do not combine with this work the First Quarto (Q1) from 1603. This really is a different play. The Second Quarto (Q2), First Folio (F1), and modern texts based on them belong here. Please distinguish between this Work, which is Shakespeare's original play, from any of its many adaptations (audio, video, reworking, etc.). Thank you.

Shakespeare's telling of a man who struggles with the death of his father and the re-marriage of his mother. Hamlet knows his uncle killed his father but must determine how to act. He struggles with anger an depression and kills the father of the woman who loves him. it is a tragedy.

This was just really hard to understand in fourth grade. There were a couple funny parts, but mostly it was just dark and there was a lot of killing. I thought it was dumb that everyone died.
One of the most intriguing characters in theater, Hamlet has been played by more than two dozen actresses over the years. The story begins with the visitation of Hamlet's dead father, telling him that he was murdered by his own brother, who has taken the throne. Only Hamlet hears the story, and he does not share it with his companions. Is it true? Hamlet dithers as to what to do. He brings a play that has a similar plot to the assassination to see King Claudius's reaction. He confronts Queen Gertrude, his mother, and kills Polonius by mistake. The King sends him away to be murdered, but Hamlet foils the attempt. His love, Ophelia, goes mad and commits suicide. He and her brother challenge each other over her. In a fixed bout of fencing, King Claudius gives a poisoned blade to Laertes, the brother, but in the scuffle, the blades are switched. Queen Gertrude drinks the poison cup prepared for Hamlet, Hamlet skewers Claudius, Laertes and Hamlet both die.
Etre ou ne pas être...
Un chef-d'oeuvre intemporel?
Telle est la question.
Dithering Hamlet
can't decide to do the deed.
Finally, all die.
(Sasha Newborn)
Kill him already!
Your father's ghost told you to!
All die thanks to you!
(hillaryrose7)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451526929, 0140714545, 0141013079, 0141195185

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300101058, 0300101759

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

3 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449875459, 1456109472, 1449875467

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,107,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible