The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (1623)
This single-volume edition of the complete works of William Shakespeare includes commissioned introductions to each of the plays and poems by a team of academics, including John Jowett and Philip Hobsbaum, with a textual introduction by the Shakespearean scholar Alec Yearling explaining the significance of the Alexander edition. This volume also includes a biography of Shakespeare by Germaine Greer and an introduction to Shakespeare's theatre by Anthony Burgess.… (more)
|Recently added by||RedeemerLibrary, private library, jjconrad, Connells, GwenRRC, LisaDMcLaughlin, NivLobo, dasfuller, thefringthing|
|Legacy Libraries||Joseph E. Worcester, Charles Macklin, George C. Wallace, Gillian Rose, Terence Kemp McKenna, Ayn Rand, Thomas Jefferson, William Somerset Maugham, Voltaire, Abraham Stoker — 59 more, Alfred Bernhard Nobel, William Makepeace Thackeray, Harry S Truman, Lewis Carroll, Dwight David Eisenhower, Leonard and Virginia Woolf, Rudyard Kipling, Frederick Douglass, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Graham Greene, Richard Henry Lee, Leslie Scalapino, James Boswell, George Clymer, Alured Popple, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Gustave Flaubert, Donald and Mary Hyde, William Butler Yeats, H.D., Robert Gordon Menzies, Alexander Pushkin, Robert Treat Paine, Prentis Family, Robert Ranke Graves , John Hancock, Ralph Ellison, Thomas Lynch, Jr., Daniel Webster, Richard Cranch, USS California (Armored Cruiser No. 6), Pei Te Hurinui Jones, Edward Estlin Cummings , Col. John Baylor, Juice Leskinen, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, George Washington, Astrid Lindgren, Rex Stout, George Wythe, C. S. Lewis, Anthony Burgess, T. E. Lawrence, Thomas Mann, George Washington Mordecai, Eeva-Liisa Manner, Katharine Hepburn, Elbridge Gerry, James Joyce, Dabney Carr, Theodore Dreiser, Samuel Johnson, John Muir, Karen Blixen, John Adams, Sylvia Plath, Ernest Hemingway, Isabella Stewart Gardner, Alfred Deakin|
Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.
No current Talk conversations about this book.
» See also 413 mentions
Belongs to Publisher Series
Is retold in
Is parodied in
Has as a reference guide/companion
Has as a commentary on the text
Has as a concordance
|Original publication date
|Awards and honors
William Shakespeare's date of birth is not precisely known, but it probably preceded his baptism on April 26, 1564, in Stratfordon-Avon, by only a few days.
There is no proof that Shakespeare personally superintended the printing of any of his plays.
Publisher's Preface: In the words of the First Folio of 1623, "The Riverside Shakespeare" is addressed 'To the great Variety of Readers. From the most able, to him that can but spell.'" - Harold T. Miller, President Houghton Mifflin Company
Hell is empty, and all the devils are here.
- (The Tempest, Act 1, Scene 2, Line 213)
This work contains all works written by Shakespeare – this is not the Complete Plays only. Shakespeare wrote sonnets and poems in addition to the plays.
References to this work on external resources.
Wikipedia in English (13)
This single-volume edition of the complete works of William Shakespeare includes commissioned introductions to each of the plays and poems by a team of academics, including John Jowett and Philip Hobsbaum, with a textual introduction by the Shakespearean scholar Alec Yearling explaining the significance of the Alexander edition. This volume also includes a biography of Shakespeare by Germaine Greer and an introduction to Shakespeare's theatre by Anthony Burgess.
No library descriptions found.
This book's contents include a 90 page, illustrated introduction, 37 Plays, 154 Sonnets and 5 other Poems; Venus and Adonis, The Rape of Lucrece, The Passionate Pilgrim, The Phoenix and The Turtle, and A Lover's Complaint and 30 Appendices. Other material such as may aid the college student in his or her study of Shakespearian literature are also included but not itemized here. This book was written for the beginning to intermediate student of Shakespearian literature.
Note: The above description applies only to the single volume omnibus edited by G.B. Harrison, not the 38 volume set published by Penguin, nor, likely, any other set or omnibus of William Shakespeare's work.
Ebook comes with main table of contents and interlinked sub table of contents.
• Each play Illustrated with Illustrations unique to this release, over 350 Illustrations in total.
• Biography and literary critique includes annotated inline footnotes.
The Comedies of William Shakespeare.
• All's Well That Ends Well. (Illustrated)
• As You Like It. (Illustrated)
• Comedy of Errors. (Illustrated)
• Cymbeline. (Illustrated)
• Love's Labour's Lost. (Illustrated)
• Measure for Measure. (Illustrated)
• Merchant of Venice. (Illustrated)
• Merry Wives of Windsor. (Illustrated)
• Midsummer Night's Dream. (Illustrated)
• Much Ado about Nothing. (Illustrated)
• Taming of the Shrew. (Illustrated)
• Tempest. (Illustrated)
• Troilus and Cressida. (Illustrated)
• Twelfth Night. (Illustrated)
• Two Gentlemen of Verona. (Illustrated)
• Winter's Tale. (Illustrated)
The Histories of William Shakespeare.
• Henry IV, Part 1. (Illustrated)
• Henry IV, Part 2. (Illustrated)
• Henry V. (Illustrated)
• Henry VI, Part 1. (Illustrated)
• Henry VI, Part 2. (Illustrated)
• Henry VI, Part 3. (Illustrated)
• Henry VIII. (Illustrated)
• King John. (Illustrated)
• Pericles. (Illustrated)
• Richard II. (Illustrated)
• Richard III. (Illustrated)
The Tragedies of William Shakespeare.
• Antony and Cleopatra. (Illustrated)
• Coriolanus. (Illustrated)
• Hamlet. (Illustrated)
• Julius Caesar. (Illustrated)
• King Lear. (Illustrated)
• Macbeth. (Illustrated)
• Othello. (Illustrated)
• Romeo and Juliet. (Illustrated)
• Timon of Athens. (Illustrated)
• Titus Andronicus. (Illustrated)
The Sonnets of William Shakespeare.
The Poems of William Shakespeare.
The Biographies of William Shakespeare.
• Some Account Of The Life Of Mr. William Shakespeare By Nicholas Rowe.
• Shakespeare His Life, Art, And Characters By Henry Norman Hudson.
• The People For Whom Shakespeare Wrote By Charles Dudley Warner.
• Life Of William Shakespeare By Sir Sidney Lee.
• Shakespeare's Family By Mrs. C. C. Stopes. (Inline Footnotes)
• The Man Shakespeare and His Tragic Life Story by Frank Harris.
• Shakespearean Playhouses: A History Of English Theatres Joseph Quincy Adams, Jr. (Illustrated / Inline Footnotes)
The Critical Works of William Shakespeare.
• Notes To Comedies By Samuel Johnson.
• Notes To Tragedies By Samuel Johnson.
• A Study Of Shakespeare By Algernon Charles Swinburne.
• Preface To Shakespeare And Notes On Plays By Samuel Johnson.
• Eighteenth Century Essays On Shakespeare By D. Nichol.
• Shakespeare's Attitude Toward The Working Classes By Ernest Crosby.
• Shakespearean Tragedy by A. C. Bradley. (Inline Footnotes)
• Leo Tolstoy on Shakespeare - A Critical Essay. (Inline Footnotes)
• Shakespeare By Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
• Characters of Shakespeare's Plays by William Hazlitt.
Includes all the plays and peoms, followed by an index of characters, index of first lines of songs, etc.; glossary; list of plays in historical order; note on the sequence.
Swap (4 have, 228 want)