Top O' the Mournin' by Maddy Hunter

Top O' the Mournin'

by Maddy Hunter

Recently added bybrainx, KLocke2, Dureo, sanicki, CCleveland

Emily and her group of senior Iowan tourists discover murder in an Irish caste this time around. I like cozy mysteries in between angstier/darker reads. This series is fun because due to the same basic core group of travelers you get a small town cozy feel but since they are on tour you also get to hear about other places. I ended up looking up some of the sights in Ireland that they visited and certainly hope to be able to get there one day. Etienne, the hunky Swiss detective from book one, is back pursuing a relationship with Emily (or trying to in between murders and travel emergencies). The only thing I don't like about this series is that it tends to indulge a little too much in stereotyping. Nothing actually offensive, Iowans are punctual, New Yorkers are pushy, that sort of thing. Individual characters don't fall prey to this, it just gets repeated a lot in Emily's internal observations. While it's enough to take me out of the book at times, it's not enough to get me to stop reading the series. I'll pick up the next one when I'm in the mood for a cozy mystery and to do a little armchair traveling. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
In this second installment in Maddy Hunter's enjoyable Passport to Peril mystery series, Emily Andrews escorts a group of senior citizens from Iowa on a trip to Ireland. The trip starts out in typical madcap fashion as Emily lands in the water when her horse and buggy driver falls asleep after drinking too much. Emily's trip starts to get better when Etienne Micelli, whom she met in Switzerland, arrives to spend some quality time with her. If only she can keep him away from her ex-husband Jack, who is now a gorgeous woman named Jackie! Throw in a couple of dead bodies, a haunted hotel, food fights, and a bad case of hives and Emily is off on another hilarious adventure!

I enjoyed this extremely funny mystery even more than I did the first one, Alpine for You. I especially like Emily's "Nana" who loves to take pictures of everything, no matter the situation. Hunter writes her speech in such a way that I can almost hear her accent as I read it. There are many funny scenes in the book to keep the reader laughing, including Emily's many attempts to be alone with Etienne and her "pajama party" with Jackie. The book is worth reading just for the dinner scene where everyone finds out who Jackie really is.

Hunter doesn't let the humor get in the way of the mystery, however, and there are a few unexpected twists along the way to the solution.

Highly recommended! ( )
  drebbles | Jul 2, 2012 |
Emily escorts her retired group of Iowans to Ireland. Along the way the join up with a group from New York which includes, egads, her ex-husband Jack. Mayhem ensues as their stay at a "haunted" castle, now hotel, is marred by death. Can the appearance of her love interest from Switzerland save this disaster. Mmm, probably not. This second in the Passport to Peril Mystery series is just as funny as the first. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Sep 8, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743458125, Mass Market Paperback)

WHEN IRISH EYES ARE LYIN'...

Emily Andrew is earning some much-needed green by navigating the twisting roads of Ireland with a group of seniors, including her beloved Nana. But once the hearty troupe from Iowa lands on Irish sod, trouble starts brewing: there's a death-defying incident with a horse-drawn carriage . . . and a gender-bending encounter with Emily's ex-husband Jack, now known as Jackie. No wonder Emily has come down with a smarting case of hives!

The plot thickens like Irish stew when the group settles into Ballybantry Castle, where a ghost is said to wander the halls. But it's no blarney when a very real corpse turns up in one of the guest rooms. While the murderous malarkey has Emily step-dancing as fast as she can, one sure thing emerges from the mists: not even St. Paddy himself could drive out the spiteful serpent that slithers among them!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:27 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,214,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible