The Last Battle (1956)

by C. S. Lewis

Lucy and Edmund, accompanied by their peevish cousin Eustace, sail to the land of Narnia where Eustace is temporarily transformed into a green dragon because of his selfish behavior and skepticism.

English (164)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (171)
Well you can't say Lewis doesn't try his best to go out with a bang here. I'd have gladly given this 2-stars as representative of the series as a whole but that would have been slightly unfair.

Also this has every issue you could ever accuse Lewis of, on display and they've brought some friends. But it ain't boring.. well actually its a little boring, but its flaws (which are many) are as interesting to read as its virtues (which are few).

First 2/3's i was ready to give it 2-stars its really confused and messy and seems to keep changing badguys. The last third is... something, its at least more interesting than what went before even if its denouement is very lengthy.

Anyway not going to get into it any more, just glad to have completed this reread of the series as an adult and to have confirmed that my child reading of it has not changed. Overall still fairly bad.
Best book of the lot definitely The Silver Chair.

I look forward to never reading this series again :) . ( )
  wreade1872 | Jul 25, 2022 |
A short, yet fun book (keep in mind that it is a children's book). The story is interesting, but the other books are more interesting in my opinion. Furthermore, the Christian metaphors are very in-your-face in this book, which is why this is my least favorite Narnia book. ( )
  vdh01 | Jul 18, 2022 |
The beginning made me truly angry and sad, so much that I felt compelled to continue reading so as not to prolong those emotions more than necessary. The end was sublime. Such a wonderful description of heaven. It almost made me cry with longing to read and to think of it.

One of the best series of books I have ever read. I recommend it to all. ( )
  Michael_J | Jun 2, 2022 |
The final book in The Chronicles of Narnia series.

King Tirian has to save Narnia. Aslan is missing and an imposter is giving orders, enslaving the Narnians, and works in collusion with the Calormen.

There is a great and terrible battle where all the Pevensie children, except for Susan, Eustace, Jill, Polly, and Diggory participate. In the end, Narnia disappears but Aslan has opened a door and behold, there is Narnia.

The ending is a tear-jerker and some children may get scared or saddened. The last lesson learned is one of charity and good faith.

**All thoughts and opinions are my own.** ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Apr 30, 2022 |
The Narnia series is an amazing and diverse series about traveling through worlds. This book was a great finale to the series! ( )
  TheStarTrekkie | Apr 22, 2022 |
The Christian symbolism is clear enough, but the book can stand on its own feet as a deeply moving and hauntingly lovely story apart from the doctrinal content.

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pauline BaynesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the last days of Narnia, far up to the west beyond Lantern Waste and close beside the great waterfall, there lived an Ape.
I Narnias sidste dage, langt mod vest hinsides Lygtemarken og ikke langt fra det store vandfald, levede der en abe.
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Last Battle" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Das Finale der Chroniken von Narnia! Böse Zeiten brechen über das Land des Löwen herein. Der Affe Listig verkleidet den Esel Wirrkopf mit einem Löwenfell und gibt ihn als Aslan, den mächtigen Schöpfer Narnias, aus. Die Bewohner des Landes werden versklavt und nach Kalormen verkauft. Aslan bringt Eustachius und Jill auf seine eigene Art und Weise nach Narnia, um dem Betrug ein Ende zu bereiten. Als die Kalormen aber ihren Gott Tash ins Spiel bringen, beginnt der eigentliche Kampf. Wie wird er enden? Wird Narnia weiterleben oder untergehen? Werden die Kalormen die Oberhand gewinnen und Narnia vernichten?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,073,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible