The Labyrinth by Catherynne M. Valente

The Labyrinth

by Catherynne M. Valente

155None77,024 (4.04)9

This was, I think, Valente's first book. It's probably my least favourite of hers that I've read. It's very classically her work -- her motifs and preoccupations, her way of plotting, her half-poetical writing -- but it just didn't get hooks in me like Deathless or The Grass-Cutting Sword. There's amazing imagery and I actually liked the cyclical nature of the story, but...

If you tend, like me, to be most drawn by strong, well-delineated characters, and a plot which moves from A to B with some resolution, this probably won't be a book for you. I enjoyed the imagery, the well-crafted-ness, but there wasn't enough to make up for the fact that this is an Anti-Quest narrative. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I really enjoyed Catherynne Valente's book Palimpsest, as well as the short story she contributed to Troll's Eye View. So I was eager to read more of her works. I am so glad I did, I absolutely loved this book, it read more like a gothic epic poem than an actually book but was absolute enrapturing. The content is very dreamy and may not be for all readers; those readers who don't enjoy abstract stories and poetry should probably stick with something else.

This book tells the story of a girl stuck in a Labyrinth. She is a Wanderer and wanders through the Labyrinth fighting madness the whole way. She complete various tasks and meets strange creatures all in a quest to escape the Labyrinth. She is constantly trying to outrun Doors, that threaten to devour here.

This book reads like a crazy dream. At some times you get caught up the beautiful and poignant descriptions and loose the storyline for a bit, but Valente always tugs you back to the story at hand. I can't say enough how beautiful, artistic, and wonderfully abstract the language throughout this novel is; I absolutely loved it.

There are times where you can get a bit confused about what is happening, most of these times coincide with the dream-like periods of madness that the main character goes through. The first madness period had me befuddled, but after the second bit of madness I figured out what was going on and then was struck by how cleverly Valente is representing this character's insanity. The story snaps back to a more traditional form as the character meets up with and is forced to converse with various strange creatures in the Labyrinth. These portions of the story are written just as beautifully but less abstractly and take the reader through a more traditional fairy tale like plot.

I was struck by how this story reminded me both of The Jabberwocky (in the somewhat made-up words that were used throughout) and also of Alice in Wonderland (as the main character struggles through a world that doesn't make sense).

I love different things and beautifully dark stories and this book was both of those things in spades. That is not to say this story will be for everyone. If you don't like poetry or abstractness in your stories I wouldn't read this book. A lot of the story is woven of analogies and words that don't make clear-cut sense. If you are the type of person who likes absolutes and well-defined stories and characters this probably won't be your cup of tea. I can see how this story and the writing style would be just plain too strange for some folks.

Overall a beautiful, creative, and different read that I found to be exquisite. Valente is quickly turning into one of those authors that can do no wrong in my eyes. I feel like everything I read from her is strange, wonderful and absolute golden. ( )
1 vote krau0098 | Aug 26, 2010 |
The Labyrinth by Catherynne M. Valente (2004)
  krisiti | Jul 1, 2009 |
I finished the labyrinth a couple of days ago and I'm still thinking about it, which is a good sign. This is certainly not a book that you can just read through, or even read more than 2 or 3 chapers in a row., and so despite being a short novel, it took me toe same time as it would to read a book twice it's size. plot? basicaly the unnamed narrator is trying to escape the doors and meets various creatures along the way;chess pieces who can't play chess, etc. She cannot remember ever not being in the labyrinth and she is slowly descending into madness.
Overall, I enjoyed the Labyrinth and I'm glad I read it, though I love the Orphan's Tales books a lot more. I'm definitely going to look out for more of valente's work. ( )
  Rubbah | Jan 12, 2009 |
Labyrinth is like a lace-work of words. It's definitely surreal, and there are explosions of paragraphs that describe nothing so much as madness. It a story of a quest that isn't, a journey to a center that's not there. It's slightly insane and cyclical, but it's beautifully wrought. The plot is certainly secondary to the tale-telling, and the times that the book drops out of the narrator's head and dips into dialogue serve as resting points for your sensory-overloaded brain. At times, it can be a little bit hard to slog through the metaphors and find the meaning behind it, but it's rewarding in the end. ( )
  skyekat | Jun 26, 2008 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible