Math Curse by Jon Scieszka

Math Curse (1995)

by Jon Scieszka

Other authors: Molly Leach (Designer), Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Numbed! by David Lubar (Runa)
    Runa: Numbed! is for older readers, but both heavily focus on students who have some kind of math related curse put on them.
    The I Hate Mathematics! Book by Marilyn Burns (Runa)

This book is about a girl who has anxiety about math. I could relate because it happens to me time to time. I like how color fun the book is, but a little confusing and too much going on through out the book. This book will definitely have you thinking. I recommend this book for older kids such as 4-8 graders. ( )
  Erneka | Sep 15, 2018 |
Math Curse is an exciting and funny peace of literature that keeps the reader engaged and constantly excavating prior knowledge that may be hidden in the deepest and darkest creases of the mind. The character brings the reader through a series of math problems that requires constant thinking. This book would be useful as an engaging resource within the classroom that consistently taps into the brains of young readers and sparks intriguing discussions. Students often pose the question, "why do we need math?" Math Curse introduces a variety of ordinary routines that one would encounter that definitely would answer the question, why math is required. I sincerely enjoyed this book. ( )
  Kstanley35 | Sep 15, 2018 |
Math Curse begins with a teacher telling his class that everything in life can be viewed as a math problem which makes the main character believe her teacher has put a "math curse" on her. It is an engaging picture book that includes different scenarios involving math that the author comes across throughout her day. I think this would be the perfect book for a class struggling with math because it introduces the topic in a humorous way. I also enjoyed the math problems that were on each page and how certain words were emphasized to show their importance. The end of the book shows the main character accepting that math is everywhere and finding ways for herself to understand the topic better. ( )
  MargaretStrahan | Sep 11, 2018 |
The book Math Curse highlights the importance of using math in daily life. The readers will like this book because this book focuses not only the math problem but social studies, English word problem, finance, etc. I prefer to use this book for middle school too. ( )
  rpal1234 | Sep 10, 2018 |
"Math Curse" is visually very appealing, but the content was actually kind of confusing. It chronicles a boy who is told that almost anything can be thought of as a math problem. He then starts seeing fractions in his pizza slices, greater than and less than in his history classes, and multiplication in cupcake distribution. I liked that each page had questions to engage the readers and you could take time to work the problems out. However, some of the problems or questions made absolutely no sense at all. For example on one page it suggests plugging the number of letters in your name, your age, and your shoe size into the quadratic formula. In no world would that ever be a question, nor does that make sense. As students read this book literally, that can be very confusing to them as they are still struggling to comprehend the basic concepts. The inventive illustrations and the relation of math to every day situations were the only positives in this book. ( )
  owaguespack | Sep 9, 2018 |

Jon Scieszkaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leach, MollyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
If the sum of my nieces and nephews equals 15, and their product equals 54, and I have more nephews than nieces, HOW MANY NEPHEWS AND HOW MANY NIECES IS THIS BOOK DEDICATED TO? --J.S.
If I divide the number of years my dad was an accountant (30) by the number of years I needed help with my math (30), I get one (1) dedication: FOR DAD (THE C.P.A.)--L.S.
ON MONDAY in math class, Mrs. Fibonacci says, "YOU KNOW, you can think of almost everything as a math problem."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670861944, Hardcover)

Did you ever wake up to one of those days where everything is a problem? You have 10 things to do, but only 30 minutes till the bus leaves. Is there enough time? You have 3 shirts and 2 pairs of pants -- can you make 1 good outfit? Don't worry -- it's just the Math Curse striking! An amusing book about dealing with numbers in everyday life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:52 -0400)

When the teacher tells her class that they can think of almost everything as a math problem, one student acquires a math anxiety which becomes a real curse.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,808,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible