The Alphabet of Grace by Frederick Buechner

The Alphabet of Grace (1970)

by Frederick Buechner

I don't have slightest idea what he is talking about most of the time. Although, I gave up after the first chapter. ( )
  aevaughn | Dec 13, 2013 |
Beautifully written meditation on life and faith. ( )
  robinamelia | Sep 21, 2009 |
This book is like an old wooden rollar coaster I use to ride at Adventureland. During the ride I'm wondering what all the little noises and creeks are, hoping the thing doesn't fall apart while I'm still attached. I can feel the wind blowing on my face and am a little scared to throw my hands in the air because the bar I'm holding on to doesn't seem to be offering much protection. And then the ride comes to a stop and I realize that those 5 minutes were some of the best I've ever spent and I want to go again and again and again. ( )
  allidahl | Jul 5, 2007 |
For my daughter Sharman
At its heart most theology, like most fiction, is essentially autobiography.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060611790, Paperback)

Frederick Buechner's The Alphabet of Grace is a small but lyrical volume of essays that moves through a single day in three chapters. It is no particular day, and yet, as Buechner suggests, each day of life is an invitation to be truly alive. "Live a day of it and see," he writes. "Nobody claims that it will be entirely painless, but no matter. It is your birthday, and there are many presents to open. The world is to open."

This gets us very close to the sweet center of this little book--and of Buechner's work more generally. He makes no claims for himself as special; "most of the times I am indistinguishable from the rest of the herd that jostles and snuffles at the great trough of life." But he also knows how to listen, how to pay attention to the small moments of life where grace in fact breaks through. Two apple branches clack together: this becomes the metaphor for the "clack-clack" of his life, which is also the sign of "the occasional, obscure glimmering through of grace." Sometimes, this book reminds us, God comes not in the whirlwind but in the still small voice of our ordinary moments. --Doug Thorpe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:22 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,970,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible