Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You about Being Creative

by Austin Kleon

Self-Improvement. Nonfiction. HTML:Unlock your creativity.
An inspiring guide to creativity in the digital age, Steal Like an Artist presents ten transformative principles that will help readers discover their artistic side and build a more creative life.

Nothing is original, so embrace influence, school yourself through the work of others, remix and reimagine to discover your own path. Follow interests wherever they take youâ??what feels like a hobby may turn into you life's work. Forget the old cliché about writing what you know: Instead, write the book you want to read, make the movie you want to watch.

And finally, stay Smart, stay out of debt, and risk being boring in the everyday world so that you have the space to be wild and daring in your imagination and your work.
"Brilliant and real and true."â??Rosanne Cas
… (more)

English (86)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (91)
This is really fabulous.

He is funny, wise as hell, and every small page glows with powerful inspiration. Not cheesy, but right to the heart. I hate turning it back in to the library, so might have to break down and get a copy to dip into, in those times of weirdness and doubt that all creators slog through. ( )
  BethOwl | Jan 24, 2024 |
This book has a great overall message and provides a general set of guidelines that's worth applying to your creative process. As someone struggling with writer's block pretty much every day, I found some of the reminders well-timed and refreshing. But that's why I also think the title is inaccurate, if not pretentious - the "10 things nobody told you" are most likely things you've heard of or told yourself before, things you might have forgotten for a moment while desperately searching for new ideas.

On another note, writing-wise, the book feels like it lacks some critical essence. There's a lot of sayings from famous people sprinkled throughout, and even paraphrased in every other (very short) paragraph, and I found myself paying more attention to the quotes themselves than what the author himself had to say. And there wasn't much of the latter. Sure, perhaps it's in the spirit of the book that he's deriving his message from those of the greats, because no one comes up with anything from scratch, but after a point I just felt like I was reading an unceasing sequence of quotes with a little filler holding them together, like scrolling through a bunch of inspirational pins on Pinterest. It's almost as though the author himself didn't make it through step 1 of his list - he still seems to be "stealing" from the words of others as a crutch, and has not yet discovered his own voice.

I'm not sure if there's a recommended age for this book - admittedly, I've had it for a few years myself and just never got around to it - but having finally read it, I'd personally recommend it to kids or young teens just beginning their creative pursuits. The text is short and easy to understand, and provides a bit of encouragement to beginning artists, etc.; it therefore serves as a good starting point if you're feeling lost, but doesn't do much else beyond that. Granted, a general direction is about all a self-help book can provide. I just wasn't a fan of the way this one was written - I'd rather read an entire memoir on the author's creative journey than a jumbled collection of advice from famous people. Perhaps he too could take a page from his own book, and evolve his creative process so that it no longer hinges strictly on the words and deeds of others. ( )
  Myridia | Jan 19, 2024 |
What a fabulous little book! It might be short on content, but it's long on wisdom - and that's exactly what I was hoping for when I picked it up. This is the kind of book I'll be reading over and over again. I got through it in under an hour, and that includes all the times I stopped to take notes, but I found myself nodding and smiling along every time I turned the page. Austin Kleon offers the kind of advice all artists would benefit from. It's straight-forward, no-nonsense advice, but with a touch of whimsy and humor. Basically, Austin gets us because he IS one of us. The book is both practical and inspirational, and it's found a permanent place on my keeper shelf. ( )
  Elizabeth_Cooper | Oct 27, 2023 |
Short but a beautiful book. I love Austin Kleon’s prolific newsletter and his style of works. This is a good read for anyone who wants to build and ship thing. Not only artists, this book is for software developers or marketers or people running business. This is a well produced book that you can pick up anytime to equalise a dull-boring-stuck-in-the-rut situation into a refreshing moment. ( )
  Santhosh_Guru | Oct 19, 2023 |
Common sense is not so common. This book is about uncommon commonsense.
Very effective. Very engaging.
  harishwriter | Oct 12, 2023 |

Austin Kleonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hirvikorpi, SusannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Art is theft."

-Pablo Picasso
"Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take,  and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different. The good poet welds his theft into a whole of feeling which is unique, utterly different from that from which it was torn."

-T. S. Eliot
For Boom--
whenever Boom gets here
ALL ADVICE IS AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL.

It's one of my theories that when people give you advice, they're really just talking to themselves in the past.
1: STEAL LIKE AN ARTIST

HOW TO LOOK AT THE WORLD (LIKE AN ARTIST)

Every artist gets asked the question,"Where do you get your ideas?"The honest artist answers,"I steal them."
The writer Jonathan Lethem has said that when people call something "original," nine out of ten times they just don't know the reference or the original sources involved.

Self-Improvement. Nonfiction. HTML:Unlock your creativity.

"Brilliant and real and true."â??Rosanne Cas

不是只有天才才能想出有創意的好點子,只要做你自己就可以了!這本書要告訴你:創意無所不在,人人都可以玩創意。

這本書是數位時代中的創意宣言,用正面的訊息、活潑的圖表和插畫、實用的練習與實例教導讀者,讓每一個人都能直接碰觸到自己屬於藝術的那一面。

這本書揭露了創意的真相:沒有什麼是原創的,所以不要害怕受到影響,從別人的作品中學習,混合之後成為另一種面貌,藉此走出自己的路。跟著自己的興趣走,有些看起來像是興趣的事情,可能會成為你終身的志業。別再管那些陳腔濫調,說什麼「寫你知道的東西」,而是要「寫你想讀的書;拍你想看的電影」。

最後,腦子保持靈光,不要揹上債務,在日常生活裡也要冒著變無聊的風險,這樣你才有撒野的空間,大膽嘗試想像,放手創作。

2011年,作者受邀到紐約一所藝術學院演講,跟年輕學子分享身為藝術家的人生經驗,演講的內容就是他希望有人能在他年輕時告訴他的事。結果那場演講大為轟動,網路上瘋狂轉貼演講影片,點閱人數突破百萬,許多年輕人紛紛留言告訴他,聽了這場演講讓他們更了解如何從事創意工作。於是,這場演講啟發了作者寫下這本書,結果發現這些道理不只適用於想從事藝術創意工作的人,而是所有的人。

《點子都是偷來的》提出10個能改變一生的原則,幫助讀者發掘自己的藝術天份,讓生活更有創意。

8. 要做好人(世界很小)
  9. 要耐無聊(只有這樣才能把事情做好)
  10. 創意是一種減法

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,157,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible