Dave Barry is Not Making This Up (1994)

by Dave Barry

Other authors: James K. Davis (Cover designer), Jeff MacNelly (Illustrator), Bill Wax (Cover photographer)

Nonfiction. Humor (Nonfiction.) HTML:

"Dave Barry has a knack for giving his readers more than a few laughs. This audio presentation is no exception. Read by "Laugh-In" veteran Arte Johnson and featuring introductions by the Author, this is audio comedy at its best. The earnestness and honesty of Barry's humor are stylized with perfection by Johnson's warm and distinctive voice. If you're a fan of Dave Barry's columns, you'll have to have this audio program."

.… (more)

Always fun to read a Dave Barry collection. Listening to it was interesting since Barry only did intros to the sections and not the whole book reading. ( )
  Catherinesque | Jan 25, 2023 |
Dave Barry is one of the funniest writers I've read. He writes about everything with a serious tone, but it's hysterical. He says he is not making this up. Maybe he is, but who cares when you're rolling on the floor laughing? ( )
  ChristinaGoebel | Mar 30, 2019 |
This was a couple of dozen of his columns which I've always loved. The perfect length as my sense of humor tends to trip out after a while. I was cutting up a tree that ice storm took partially down in the horses' field while listening to this, so I had to take a few breaks when things got dicey.

(Lots of energy & twisting left in that big, old hackberry. I wish the wood was prettier as it was 16" in diameter & should make some nice bowls, but I'll have to stain them or something. I don't like the gray cast the wood gets.)

This wasn't all humor, though. The last one was about how he felt when his 12 year old got hit by a car while riding his bike. A broken leg & stitches patched the kid up, but he made a great point about how parenthood changes a person.

I can't remember all the subjects he tackled, but they were pretty diverse & a lot of fun. His dating advice for a teenage boy was hilarious. Excellent as an audio book. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Fun. My parents read him a lot when I was a kid. It's silly, but cute. This book has a piece that is a description of Hong Kong before the hand over. Interesting in retrospect. ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
Learn all about Dave Barrys favorite colums he's ever written. Incuding his dance class, Elvis, and his old rusty boat which i belive is named Earl. I hope he doesn't get lost in the Bermuda Triangle. ( )
  th1nkitup | Jan 2, 2013 |

Dave Barryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davis, James K.Cover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
MacNelly, JeffIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wax, BillCover photographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Earnest, who was a big help; and to Zippy, who was a small emergency backup help.
People often say to me: "Dave, you are a leading journalism professional and not as short as I expected. What is your secret of success?" (From the introduction)

Nonfiction. Humor (Nonfiction.) HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,180,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible