Hansel and Gretel by Jacob Grimm

Hansel and Gretel (1812)

by Jacob Grimm, Wilhelm Grimm

English (16)  French (1)  All languages (17)
5. The historical fiction picture book, “Hansel and Gretel,” portrays the message that courage and love can save souls from hardships. It focuses on broadening readers understanding of sibling love and protection. This classic story is one of my favorites, so I love this book. First of all, the characters are believable and courageous. I like how the children are closely connected. The illustrations help support the characters relationships by showing the siblings holding hands in the dark forest and on every page the siblings are side by side. Next, I love the language because it is clear, descriptive, and patterned. As a reader, you are not left with questions. The language is patterned through consistent conversations between one another. It goes along with a nice flow within the writing. In addition, the plot is suspenseful and keeps you on your toes. You want to know more about the story as you read along. Though the story includes fire, witches, and threats, the illustrations balance out the book with fun, colorful candy houses and calm animals of nature. I like this this book because it helps readers understand different perspectives of time. For example, the way the children dress, the past names of occupations like woodcutter, and the names of the characters are dated. I have always enjoyed this read ever since my childhood.
  kacieforest | Apr 19, 2015 |
Classic tale
  Telfair230 | Jul 30, 2014 |
This has been one of my favorite story since I was little. I still live it today.
  BeckyPugh | Jul 19, 2014 |
Wonderful! Full-length version of the story, with lovely descriptions and rich language. The illustrations are meticulous and as usual Jeffers especially shines when portraying animals and the natural world. LOVE the double-page spread of Hansel and Gretel coming home in the moonlight forest. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
Classic story of Hansel and Gretel. ( )
  rwalsh06 | Oct 20, 2013 |

Pacovska, KvetaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scribner, Charles, Jr.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watts, BernadetteIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zipes, JackTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

When they are left in the woods by their parents, two children find their way home despite an encounter with a wicked witch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible