The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (2012)

by Catherynne M. Valente

Series: The Girl Who (2)

After returning to Fairyland, September discovers that her stolen shadow has become the Hollow Queen, the new ruler of Fairyland Below, who is stealing the magic and shadows from Fairyland folk and refusing to give them back.

English (69)  German (1)  All languages (70)
It cracked me open, then put me back together - all with a gentle soothing hand and iron grip.

To get this out of the way first.
That thing at the end, (you know the one, right?) it slew me good and proper. It threw me off quite a splendid cliff. NOW I NEED. TO. KNOW! But that's for later books, I suspect. Bother...

September grows up. Not completely, mind you. And she does grow a heart - for all the good and ill that befalls such a hazardous possession and its owner.

It's such a relief to read about a multifaceted world of neither black nor white. Such relief, let me tell you! And it is truly a splendid and heartening thing to be reminded that one always has a choice - and that NOT choosing is too a choice. Ought to remember thus in the darkest and most shining hours both, to carve thus deep: We can be anything and everything - all at once.

RECOMMENDED ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
I was skeptical about this because I had mixed feelings about the first book in the series. However, the series seems to be hitting its stride. I enjoyed reading this book and am looking forward to the next one. However, the book is much better as an easy, fun read -- I'm not a fan of the bits where the author attempts to convey Big Truths, the tone there strikes me as off, although I can't give any more specific criticism than that, so perhaps that bit is just not my taste. ( )
  leahsusan | Mar 26, 2022 |
Read. ( )
  sasameyuki | Oct 15, 2021 |
Once you get used to the style, it's a quick and fun read. I found it a little more enjoyable than that first book, and September's character growth is realistic and smart.

I do feel, however, that when her hour is taken, it's a little bit of a confusing cop-out. I understand it's meant to be disorienting, but it felt a little like Valente couldn't quite figure out how to write that section and so decided to skip it. As well, the fact that Belinda Cabbage's new machine just so happens to make new shadows seems a little convenient - I'm not sure how necessary it was that September had a shadow at all. But it was a nice ending for her to respect that shadow's autonomy. ( )
  Elna_McIntosh | Sep 29, 2021 |
What an amazingly and gloriously smart YA.

It's not only a fun and delightful quest and beautiful flight of imagination, but it's also rife with tons and tons of literary and mythical allusions, whether oblique or referenced almost directly. It's keeping my adult brain most occupied and thrilled and slathered in smarts.

And how in the world can such a tale also be written so smoothly and cleverly that a young child can follow it without a care in the world?

Answer: Catherynne M. Valente.

Seriously, people. She writes as if her pen were Michaels fiery sword or as if she were drawing from the long-brilliant tradition of the best snarky English authors, and Valente is American. *gasp*

Shadows are magic and allow you to have magic, you know, and the lady of teas and the mister of coffees have a way of masterfully messing up your drink.

One word of warning, though. The Revels don't actually happen until the very end. Sorry for the spoilers. The rest of the book is sheer adventure.
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Catherynne M. Valenteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Juan, AnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tucker, S. J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For everyone who has taken a chance on a girl with a funny name and her flying Library.  Let the Revel begin.
Once upon a time, a girl named September had a secret.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,705,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible