Little Town on the Prairie

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Series: Little House: The Laura Years (7), Little House novels, chronological order (book 22)

Pa's homestead thrives, Laura gets her first job in town, blackbirds eat the corn and oats crops, Mary goes to college, and Laura gets into trouble at school, but becomes a certified school teacher.
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (Anonymous user)

English (69)  French (1)  All languages (70)
Wow, this is a tone shift from the previous one! Well, there is still 'blackbirds eat all our crops', but this is much more people living with people, Laura getting her first job, Laura going to school, Laura going to literaries and sociables, swapping name cards, going to birthday parties... it is very different from 'we are slowly freezing and starving to death'. And Almanzo is starting to court Laura (although she still seems more interested in his gorgeous horses than in him!) ( )
  atreic | Sep 2, 2022 |
“There is no comfort anywhere for anyone who dreads to go home.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little Town on the Prairie

I read the whole Little House series as a kid. I would like to reread some of them and this one is one of my all time faves from the series.

I adored the whole little house family and loved Laura's determination to become a teacher. I loved everything about the series and this book, even Nellie and her "name cards". I still get a smile on my face from these books even after all this time. ( )
  Thebeautifulsea | Aug 5, 2022 |
The Ingalls family have just come off that “long winter” with blizzard after blizzard after blizzard. Pa is working construction in town, in addition to growing corn and oats and raising a few animals on the homestead. In order to help with money to be able to send Mary to college, Laura takes a sewing job in town. Once that ends, school is starting. At 14-almost-15, Laura needs to be serious at school, so she can get her teacher’s certificate when she turns 16 so she can help with money in order to keep Mary at college.

A surprise person from Laura’s life a few years earlier reappears in her life at school this year. She knows who Almanzo Wilder is, as she sees him around town and he once gave her a ride to school when she is running late. As the Ingalls’ move into town for the second winter in a row, the people in town are creating more social activities to do. And the town keeps growing.

This is such an enjoyable series. The illustrations are very nice. There is one uncomfortable bit of town entertainment near the end, unfortunately, but at the time that it would have happened it wasn’t frowned upon, though it most certainly is now (to say the least). Laura’s recitation of American history is, while impressive, European white history. So, due to the time period it is set, there are some no-so-good things about the book, but overall, I still find these books a lot of fun. ( )
1 vote LibraryCin | Feb 27, 2022 |
A little lighthouse on the Hudson River regains its pride when it finds out that it is still useful and has an important job to do.
  BLTSbraille | Oct 14, 2021 |
Knowing Laura's fascination with certain horses, how could I help but rejoice that she became better acquainted with their owner? It wasn't until I aged a bit more that I really began to enjoy the subtle hints of the future. Wilder is an accomplished writer. Every time I pick up one of her books I remember how age-encompassing she is and how she makes even the most mundane events seem exciting enough for a chapter. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cazier, CatherineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, CherryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orsot, CatherineTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One evening at supper, Pa asked, "How would you like to work in town, Laura?"

The long winter is over, but there is still work to be done. Laura spends many hours each day sewing shirts to help send Mary to a college for the blind. But, in the evenings, Laura makes time for a new caller, Almanzo Wilder.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,354,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible