Caddie Woodlawn (1935)

by Carol Ryrie Brink

Series: Caddie Woodlawn (1)

The adventures of an eleven-year-old tomboy growing up on the Wisconsin frontier in the mid-nineteenth century.

I have always loved classic children's literature and have read much of it. I especially love the classics that have animals in them. This particular book is one of my favorites and I think it is equally good when you read it as an adult or as a child. The characters are engaging and realistic and the story draws you in. It is a book I enjoy re-reading. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Caddie Woodlawn is a free-spirited and outdoorsy girl, living with her large family at the Wisconsin Frontier in 1660s. She was raised alongside her brothers and allowed to run free with the boys as much as she wants. She is fun-loving, strong and adventurous.

This book is unique for 20th century historical fiction in that it ages well. Caddie and her family interact with local Indians but unlike their neighbors they see their Indian neighbors for their humanity and don't understand why others don't. ( )
  klnbennett | Oct 7, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I was sure I had read this as a kid but the more I read, the less I remembered except the prairie fire. It is billed as a Laura Ingalls Wilder style and it is certainly a pioneer family story told from the point of view of a tomboy daughter but the Little House books are better writing and have real characters you come to know. This was pretty one-dimensional and very dated.
  amyem58 | Jun 26, 2020 |
In addition to their own small family, the Woodlawns are on very good terms with the Indians that live locally, especially Indian John (who has the advantage of command of the English language, although it's unfortunately depicted as the stereotypical pidgin English common in books from this period). The book follows a year in Caddie's life- picking nuts, riding horses, going to school, and worrying about rumors of Indian massacre, eagerly awaiting the mail after a long winter, and eating entirely too much turkey. Over the course of events, Caddie does mature and become ready to at least consider that a lady's skills have some merit.
added by cej1027 | editNewbery Project (May 6, 2010)

They made the pioneers seem like angels and the Native Americans like inhuman monsters.

Carol Ryrie Brinkprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hyman, Tina SchartIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seredy, KateIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gram, whose tales of her childhood in Wisconsin gave a lonely little girl many happy hours.
In 1864 Caddie Woodlawn was eleven, and as wild a little tomboy as ever ran the woods of western Wisconsin.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,193,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible