Caddie Woodlawn (1935)

by Carol Ryrie Brink

Series: Caddie Woodlawn (1)

The adventures of an eleven-year-old tomboy growing up on the Wisconsin frontier in the mid-nineteenth century.

Read again to my daughter. Forgot about the racial slurs, had to skip a lot and explain a lot but the overall story is good. ( )
  panamamama | Aug 2, 2022 |
For some reason the beginning of this book really had a plot-less, garbled feel to me. If I had viewed it as “one year with Caddie Woodlawn” from the very start, I probably would have felt the cohesion between blurbs sooner. My mistake, I think. So setting that aside, she’s a mighty headstrong girl… who may perhaps be a little too mighty. Some scenes took me out of the moment because it was pushing “strong young female!” too hard. Caddie is likable, and the book is well done. But her amazing tenacity was pushing the bounds of credulity for me.

Everything could have been redeemed, though. As things were wrapping up, I saw one scene with Caddie and her father as adorable, and a perfect nod to Caddie’s struggle with her place in the world. I would totally have this book’s back (covers?) if the book had ended there. It won me over completely. Buuut... the author tacked on a rouse of the dad’s long lost English noble heritage, and how everyone in the family deserved a vote on what the family would do. Parents deciding what’s best for their children? Naw. It brought me back to the disbelieving side of things. Super sweet scene in there, though.
  Allyoopsi | Jun 22, 2022 |
I have a feeling that Caddie Woodlawn is actually a much better book than its audiobook narrator would have me believe, but after reading the Little House series, I think I still would've found this novel a bit of a letdown. From what I've seen, people seem to identify with (and love) one or the other, and I appear to be more of a Laura Ingalls Wilder person than a Carol Ryrie Brink one.

Caddie is certainly an engaging scamp and she has plenty of adventures, but most of those adventures read, to me, more like predictable sitcom hijinks than genuine happenings: at times, I could almost hear a studio audience laughing or awwwing in the background. It's possible I would've enjoyed the story more if I'd read it as a child, but to be honest, even as a kid, I had a pretty low tolerance for vicarious embarrassment...and there's plenty of that in Caddie Woodlawn.

I definitely understand why others might enjoy Caddie's story, but for me, I'll stick to the dangers and triumphs of pioneer life with the Ingalls family. ( )
1 vote slimikin | Mar 27, 2022 |
Follow a young Caddy Woodlawn around the wilderness adventures of Wisconsin for a year. ( )
  MaryRachelSmith | Jan 21, 2022 |
I have always loved classic children's literature and have read much of it. I especially love the classics that have animals in them. This particular book is one of my favorites and I think it is equally good when you read it as an adult or as a child. The characters are engaging and realistic and the story draws you in. It is a book I enjoy re-reading. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
In addition to their own small family, the Woodlawns are on very good terms with the Indians that live locally, especially Indian John (who has the advantage of command of the English language, although it's unfortunately depicted as the stereotypical pidgin English common in books from this period). The book follows a year in Caddie's life- picking nuts, riding horses, going to school, and worrying about rumors of Indian massacre, eagerly awaiting the mail after a long winter, and eating entirely too much turkey. Over the course of events, Caddie does mature and become ready to at least consider that a lady's skills have some merit.
added by cej1027 | editNewbery Project (May 6, 2010)

They made the pioneers seem like angels and the Native Americans like inhuman monsters.

Carol Ryrie Brinkprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hyman, Tina SchartIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seredy, KateIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gram, whose tales of her childhood in Wisconsin gave a lonely little girl many happy hours.
In 1864 Caddie Woodlawn was eleven, and as wild a little tomboy as ever ran the woods of western Wisconsin.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,035,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible