Little House on the Prairie (1935)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Series: Little House: The Laura Years (3), Little House novels, chronological order (book 18)

11,989195395 (4.11)405
A family travels from the big woods of Wisconsin to a new home on the prairie, where they build a house, meet neighboring Indians, build a well, and fight a prairie fire.

English (193)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (195)
This one was much more exciting than Big Woods. R (age 7) really loved it and can't wait to start the next one. T (age almost 5) was not as enthusiastic, I think a lot of it went over his head. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
I finished reading this to my children last night. I have somewhat regularly read them a chapter each night. I enjoyed reading this book and series when I was a boy. It is interesting to see it from an adult perspective, and see the historical perspective (I understand that the books were somewhat conglomerations by Laura and her daughter Rose, and that the sequence was actually Prairie THEN Big House in the Woods).

My kids enjoyed the stories about the birth of the pony, the Indian stories, and the story of Mr. Edwards encountering Santa Claus and bringing back things to them. I explained to them the wealth that they live in, compared to the poverty that these children and family experience; nevertheless, they were happy and enjoyed life. One phrase that was interesting to me was after planting gardens, they would "eat like kings". We truly eat like kings today, as we have many of the privileges that Monarch and/or Nobility once held to themselves. ( )
  quinton.baran | Mar 29, 2021 |
Little House on the Prarie is all about the Ingalls family and what they do as they travel and live throughout the state of Kansas. ( )
  maggieschneider | Nov 15, 2020 |
This is the book series for Kansans. The plains are brought to life in her breath taking stories. It makes life on the prairie seem like the best life their is, and maybe it is. I enjoy Kansas, and I believe this is a way to show the greatness of Kansas to the world. These books are something everyone needs to read. Historical Fiction. ( )
  evanlambert | Nov 15, 2020 |

Taula, S. S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tholema, A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A long time ago, when all the grandfathers and grandmothers of today were little boys and little girls or very small babies, or perhaps not even born, Pa and Ma and Mary and Laura and Baby Carrie left their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin.
Wild animals would not stay in a country where there were so many people. Pa did not like to stay, either. He liked a country where the wild animals lived without being afraid. He liked to see the little fawns and their mothers looking at him from the shadowy woods, and the fat, lazy bears eating berries in the wild-berry patches.
ISBN 0064400042 is also for On the Banks of Plum Creek

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,325,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible