Little House on the Prairie (1935)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Series: Little House: The Laura Years (3), Little House novels, chronological order (book 18)

13,270206366 (4.1)420
A family travels from the big woods of Wisconsin to a new home on the prairie, where they build a house, meet neighboring Indians, build a well, and fight a prairie fire.
Recently added byGapeHorn, rayravi, branhamm12, private library, hannahlandis02, naomigreenberg, DJSmith6, jlyoungplus4
Legacy LibrariesRose Wilder Lane

English (204)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (206)
After I finshed Little house in the woods I didn't think would take the bother of reading this but i am glad i did! It Is more than a story it is history! The story and life of pioneer girls. And all there friends! ( )
  HVMkay | Jul 25, 2022 |
I had forgotten a lot about this book but it has been 30 years since I read it the first time. The boys enjoyed it very much. The writing style is perfect for reading out loud. There were suspensefull parts where the boys were worried about what was going to happen and lots of opportunities for learning about life 150 years ago. I enjoyed revisting this book. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
Despite this book being an epic tale of wilderness life, I found myself getting a bit bogged down in places - oh look, another chapter where they will all survive a Terrible Thing! Mostly everyone is superhumanly stoic and bold and content with their fiddle music under the stars, and there are only tiny glimpses of people not being happy with their lot (like when Laura feels she has to give all her pretty beads to her baby sister because Mary did.)

There is a prairie fire, malaria, nearly drowing in river crossings, nearly dying in a well.. it makes me very grateful for (and slightly embarrassed of) my own privileged existence!

The complete lack of challenge that Pa is anything other than a good and wise father figure is very kind and christian, but really, viewed with a bit of perspective, he makes some very bold decisions, minister - he takes his family away from all their friends and family, goes into disputed Indian territory, spends a miserable brutal year trying to build a house from scratch, and then loses it all because (turns out!) he was an illegal settler and can't stay there. His wife is a saint.

I feel I ought to warn it is completely of its time in its treatment of, well, everything, but mostly Native Americans. Although the bit where Laura watches them pass and sees the baby as some kind of delightful pet that she just wants to own is an excellent description of how you can other and exoticise things, that could be a good jumping off point for a more nuanced conversation. ( )
  atreic | Jul 12, 2022 |
Little House on the Prairie is the 3rd book of the Laura Ingalls Wilder collection. We follow Laura as Pa sells their log cabin and the travel from Wisconsin to the big skies of Kansas. They travel for many days in their wagon until the arrive and start building their home. Just when they seem to get settled and feel at home, they are faced with a dangerous conflict. ( )
  BeckyP94 | Feb 20, 2022 |
How have I not rated this yet? I must have read it 20 times - it was a staple of my childhood. ( )
  Monj | Jan 7, 2022 |

Taula, S. S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tholema, A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A long time ago, when all the grandfathers and grandmothers of today were little boys and little girls or very small babies, or perhaps not even born, Pa and Ma and Mary and Laura and Baby Carrie left their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin.
Wild animals would not stay in a country where there were so many people. Pa did not like to stay, either. He liked a country where the wild animals lived without being afraid. He liked to see the little fawns and their mothers looking at him from the shadowy woods, and the fat, lazy bears eating berries in the wild-berry patches.
ISBN 0064400042 is also for On the Banks of Plum Creek

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,820,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible