Anne of Green Gables

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables (1)

22,794479111 (4.32)3 / 1053
Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.
Recently added byAshlynde, MJPerry716, scaryaadillo, private library, jobinsonlis, Clarissa_, tlwright
Legacy LibrariesJack Layton, Sylvia Plath, Astrid Lindgren
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, rosylibrarian)
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa, Morteana)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (atimco)
    atimco: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy (Cecrow)
    Anne of Green Gables [1985 film] by Kevin Sullivan (TheLittlePhrase)
    Anne of Avonlea [1987 film] by Kevin Sullivan (TheLittlePhrase)
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    A Faraway Island by Annika Thor (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: There are similarities between characters (young girl taken in by a stern older woman) and an island setting.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    Heidi [adapted - Great Illustrated Classics] by Johanna Spyri (zottel)
    zottel: Both books describe childhoods of orphan girls, one high up in the Alps, one in rural Canada. Many parallels.

Canada (1)

English (472)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (480)
DNF @ 36%

OMG, shut up.

I might have liked this - maybe - when I was younger. And I admit Anne has a certain appeal - when I'm not trying to figure out what kinds of mental health issues she has - but I really can't take any more of this. Plus, this is very much a slice-of-life story, which I do enjoy, but there are no real conflicts here that don't get resolved immediately.

Also, the narration by Rachel McAdams is kind of flat. She comes to life when voicing Anne with an E, but the rest of the time, she's just reading words on a page.
  Linda_Bookworm | May 6, 2021 |
AO5, classics,
  akschanne | May 6, 2021 |
This is just as lovely a read as I remember from childhood. Anne becomes an essential member of the family from the very start.
As an adult you pick up subtle nuances that are missed.
A book for all ages ( )
  Northern_Light | Mar 18, 2021 |
❧ audiobook review

Isn’t it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive — it’s such an interesting world. It wouldn’t be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There’d be no scope for imagination then, would there? But am I talking too much? People are always telling me I do.

Good freaking rainbow toaster sticks, this book is just every shade of adorable. Anne has absolutely no chill and I. AM. HERE. FOR. IT. She reminds me of me, as a kid, actually. The hyper active but deeply insecure girl who just has no filter and yammers on and on. Hehehe. Embrace your lack of chill, guys. ;)

I'm not surprised by how much I liked it, though I'm surprised by things I probably wouldn't have picked up on if I'd read it as a kid. Watching Anne with an E had me drawing hearts around Anne and Gilbert, but this book totally had me wondering if Anne/Diana was the true OTP. And I'm not the only one. I could definitely see Anne and Gilbert being rivals and friends forever, with Anne and Diana being meant to be. But heck, they're all so cute. Anne probably has chemistry with the flowers in her garden, though. Whatever your interpretation or OTP, this book is just wholesome. Like, it's such a happy story, set in such a lovely, dreamy place. And crikey does it make me miss Canada. Nova Scotia's the only place I've really been (and Anne comes from Nova Scotia!), but now I'm desperate to see PEI.

And this → → I’d rather have you than a dozen boys, Anne. Just mind you that. Rather than a dozen boys. ← ← was just the *chef's kiss* of the book. Bearing in mind this was written in 1908. WE STAN A BIT, MATTHEW.

Also, I am perfectly content having Rachel McAdams narrate absolutely everything.

Gosh, she's so lovely, isn't she? (/◕ヮ◕)/

tr;dr read Anne of Green Gables, ya goobers. It's a delight. ( )
  rjcrunden | Feb 2, 2021 |
A Book I never read as a child, and one I've tried to read once or twice as an adult and have now completed!

Anne is a little Pollyanna-ish, all positive and seeing the good things in life, despite being an orphan. She is adopted by a brother and sister, who had wanted a boy to help on their farm but got Anne by mistake.

The next few years sees Anne grow up, hating her bright red hair and freckles, and getting into constant scrapes, much to the consternation of Marella.

It's a reminder about how young people are when they are considered to be adults - Anne trains to be a teacher and accepts the Avonlea job at 16 years old. Girls are also considered not worth filling their brains up with "teaching stuff" much into their teens.

Glad now that's another "must read" book I've crossed off the list, not convinced I'll read another in the series
  nordie | Jan 30, 2021 |

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
The ISBN 0448060302 is the Illustrated Junior Library edition of Anne of Green Gables.

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

L. M. Montgomery's book Anne of Green Gables was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100712, 140010842X

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

BHC Press

An edition of this book was published by BHC Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,850,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible