Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

Anne of Green Gables

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables (1)

18,486404127 (4.32)1 / 984
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, rosylibrarian)
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa, Morteana)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (atimco)
    atimco: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    Anne of Green Gables [1985 film] by Kevin Sullivan (TheLittlePhrase)
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    A Faraway Island by Annika Thor (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: There are similarities between characters (young girl taken in by a stern older woman) and an island setting.
    Anne of Avonlea [1987 film] by Kevin Sullivan (TheLittlePhrase)
    Marilla of Green Gables: A Novel by Sarah McCoy (Cecrow)
Canada (1)

English (404)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (410)
You may have watched the movie, the 2-night special, or the latest adaptation on Netflix - but you haven't truly experienced Anne of Green Gables until you read the books. I read them as a pre-teen and have re-read them many times. Published well over a hundred years ago the narrative reads a tad clunky and dated at times. But I am not saying that is a bad thing. In a world filled techno-gadgets, vampires, and witches, where something is blown-up or killed every three-seconds-- it was nice to have a stress-free, relaxing reading experience.

Anne is an 11-year-old orphan longing for a home to call her own. Despite her tender age, she had known heartbreak. It was how she chose to deal with it that resonates with me to this day. Anne looked for the good in everyone and everything and with her boundless imagination if she couldn't find it -- she simply created it. She had a light within her that refused to be dimmed. This is a timeless classic I cannot wait to share with my granddaughter. If you have never read this book or if it has been a while, sneak off to your favorite, comfy spot and reconnect with a simpler time.

Happy Reading,

RJ ( )
  MrsRJ | Mar 9, 2019 |
This was an absolutely delightfully sweet book to read, and hilariously funny! Anne, spelled with a romantic e, is an upbeat and impossibly optimistic orphan girl with far too much imagination, and asking far too many questions, just as I wished I could have done when I was a child without the constant "stop asking questions!" from very nearly all of the adults. And she doesn't even get beaten up by any of her classmates! A wonderful hopeful book and well worth reading and reading again!

for #cooperatives #EndPoverty, #EndMoneyBail, #PublicDomainInfrastructure 4:
1. #libraries
2. #ProBono legal aid & Financial/Consumer #Education
3. #UniversalHealthCare
4. good #publictransport!
Read, Write, Dream, Walk !

#PublicDomainInfrastructure
ShiraDest

June 22nd, 12018 HE

ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
Summary:
Anne Shirley (with an e) is a red-headed , creative, and very imaginative girl. Anne despises her red hair and hehr looks, even her name. She would like to be named Cordelia, and have raven black hair, and have no freckles. The Cuthbert’s wanted to adopt a orphan boy so he can help around the farm. But there was a mix up at the orphanage, a girl had arrived to Avonlea on Prince Edward Island. When riding back to green gables Matthew Cuthbert did not have the courage to tell Anne there was a mix up. He decided to let his sister Marilla Cuthbert tell her. Anne likes to talk a lot and Matthew enjoyed her company, and convinced Marilla to keep her even though she was not a boy. She went to the Avonlea School. Made friends with Diana Barry. And a few other girls. On her first day a boy named GIlbert Blythe called her carrots and Anne wacked him in the head with her slate. Anne vowed to never mention Gilbert in an way ever again. Anne was one day walking her way home and a mysterious man sold her black hair dye. When she got home she tried to dye her hair the raven black she always wanted it to be. It turned out green! Marilla had to cut her hair to a short pixie cut and Anne learned that looks aren't everything. Anne was selected to take an accelerated course of study, and by the end, try out for a school in Queen’s. Anne decides to take a break from her studies and come to Avonlea to teach even though she won the Avery scholarship award. She doesn't want Marilla to live alone and be lonely since Matthew has passed away.

Opinion:
I really liked this book. The author used so much description, you had to take your time to take in all of the small details. At times it got slow but still captivating. Anne’s personality growth over time is so well written. And i just loved this book as whole. I can not wait to read the next book. And hear more of Anne and her wonderful personality. Anne uses these big and meaningful words which just add to her personality in so many positive ways. I wouldn't say you could skim through this book, you would have to take your time and take in every detail. Once you start the story you just want to know what happens next to Anne. ( )
  SanaA.G1 | Mar 3, 2019 |
I just love the simple times that this story depicts. There's just so much innocence and sweetness permeating from the characters, that I find myself coming back to this tale time and time again. It's a lovely retreat from the complications of our world today. I love the relationship between Anne and Grandpa Matthew. It's just really heartwarming. And I love how Anne is so kind to her grandparents while having a little spunk to her personality. Something about this book just keeps drawing me in over the years; it's a cherished favorite that will always have a place on my bookshelf.
  Syeu715 | Feb 23, 2019 |
I had seen the movie several times and even saw the musical when I was in Charlottetown about 20 years ago (which was when I bought the books) but I never actually read the book. I loved it. Lucy Maud Montgomery wrote with such lovely language that you could picture everything that was happening. I even cried when Matthew died, although I knew it was coming. I am so glad that I finally read this book.

If you are not familiar with this series, Anne Shirley is an orphan who accidentally ends up in Avonlea to live with Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert (siblings) when they asked to adopt an orphan boy to help on the farm. Once she arrived, there was not turning back. She had an imagination that would not quit. She was such a loving and caring person that others flocked to her. She also set goals in her education that she worked hard on. She made many, many mistakes along the way, but learned from each one. There is humour, warmth, love and sadness in this story, but everyone will find something to like about it. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
The ISBN 0448060302 is the Illustrated Junior Library edition of Anne of Green Gables.

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055321313X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Marilla Cuthbert's brother, Matthew, returns home to Green Gables with a chatty redheaded orphan girl, Marilla exclaims, "But we asked for a boy. We have no use for a girl." It's not long, though, before the Cuthberts can't imagine how they could ever do without young Anne of Green Gables--but not for the original reasons they sought an orphan. Somewhere between the time Anne "confesses" to losing Marilla's amethyst pin (which she never took) in hopes of being allowed to go to a picnic, and when Anne accidentally dyes her hated carrot-red hair green, Marilla says to Matthew, "One thing's for certain, no house that Anne's in will ever be dull." And no book that she's in will be, either. This adapted version of the classic, Anne of Green Gables, introduces younger readers to the irrepressible heroine of L.M. Montgomery's many stories. Adapter M.C. Helldorfer includes only a few of Anne's mirthful and poignant adventures, yet manages to capture the freshness of one of children's literature's spunkiest, most beloved characters. There's just enough to make beginning readers want more--luckily, there's a lot more in the originals! Illustrator Ellen Beier creates vibrant pictures to portray the beauty of the land around Green Gables and the spirited nature of Anne herself. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:50 -0400)

Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

L. M. Montgomery's book Anne of Green Gables was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

5 1995

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100712, 140010842X

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible