Anne of Green Gables (1908)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables (1)

25,85951699 (4.32)3 / 1110
Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, rosylibrarian)
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa, Morteana)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (atimco)
    atimco: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    Anne of Avonlea [1987 film] by Kevin Sullivan (TheLittlePhrase)
    Anne of Green Gables [1985 film] by Kevin Sullivan (TheLittlePhrase)
    Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy (Cecrow)
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    A Faraway Island by Annika Thor (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: There are similarities between characters (young girl taken in by a stern older woman) and an island setting.
    The Lady of Shalott by Alfred Tennyson (Cecrow)

Canada (1)

English (511)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (520)
Anne of green gables is a very interesting and fascinating novel and very beautifully described every little detail.
  Laiba_Ejaz1122 | Sep 12, 2022 |
The perfect comfort read. ( )
  SarahMac314 | Aug 12, 2022 |
It sometimes feels nice to revisit your childhood and remember when life seemed simpler and problems all solvable. That is what reading Anne again felt like for me. I know why I loved it as a girl, because while being very rooted in what it is to be a child, it never speaks down to you. Anne has a distinct, overly excitable, personality, and she gets into a lot of scrapes, but everything in her world comes right in the end.

Did anyone besides me have an obsession with orphans, or at least the motherless, when they were young? [b:Eight Cousins|14570|Eight Cousins (Eight Cousins, #1)|Louisa May Alcott|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328864060s/14570.jpg|2905864] was a favorite book, Nancy Drew a favorite character, and I could watch Shirley Temple movies endlessly (and when did that little girl ever have a mother in a film?) It is no doubt one of the elements of this tale that attracted me, as well. The idea that you could be without any family and then find one full of love and acceptance...how comforting is that.

Some Anne sayings that I love:
"isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?"
"it's a serious thing to grow up, isn't it?...it's a great responsibility because I have only the one chance."
"What a splendid day!...I pity people who aren't born yet for missing it. They may have good days, of course, but they can never have this one."
"It gives you a lovely, comfortable feeling to apologize and be forgiven, doesn't it?"

She might be annoying at times, and often overly romantic, but there is a lot we could all learn from Anne Shirley. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
This classic story, written in 1908, about a fiery redhead eleven year old, Anne. Anne, an orphan, has come to Prince Edward Island to live on a farm with siblings the Cuthberts, who really wanted to adopt a boy. Her personality and wit win them over quickly.
  NikkiMcCulloch | Jul 27, 2022 |
There was a mistake. The siblings Marilla and Matthew expected a boy who could help with their garden, they got a girl called Anne with an "e" instead (She also likes to be called Cornelia). Unexpected to others, they decided to keep her. Anne is just that good, perhaps too much, or perhaps not enough, there is no stopping point in growth.

Anne of Green Gables is a story of imagination, ambition, and family. Anne imagines, talks, and dreams more than people are willing to listen to, and it is her greatest gift along with her heart.

A trip to a Canadian-fictional place, in 1908, called Avonlea is beautified through small Anne's eyes, nose, and ears. All the shades of the sky through the day sound poetic, and romantic, Anne tries to make them so, as most things she takes an interest in.

The dialog is charming, the characters have distinct voices. Matthew saying "Well now," made me happy every time because I made a conscious note of it. My favorite character is Marilla, but both siblings who take care of Anne are great. There's quite a bit of dated diction, but reading it on ebook and being able to look every word up helped immensely. (Learning 3 ways to name this specific boat, fun for me, but could be not fun for you.)

The book isn't perfectly joyous, or without meaning, there are lows, and downs, mistakes, and sad things. Before Anne reaches Green Gables she had a taste of a life not so blessed, she gets to learn plenty of things she missed out on and encounters new troubles. I cried a couple of times, but it is also not that hard to make me cry.

Reading this was a big joy :)) ( )
  NotaRein | Jul 25, 2022 |

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Has as a student's study guide

The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
The ISBN 0448060302 is the Illustrated Junior Library edition of Anne of Green Gables.

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

L. M. Montgomery's book Anne of Green Gables was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100712, 140010842X

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

BHC Press

An edition of this book was published by BHC Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,038,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible