Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We… (2012)

by Brené Brown

Based on twelve years of research, thought leader Dr. Brené Brown argues that vulnerability is not weakness, but rather our clearest path to courage, engagement, and meaningful connection.

English (74)  Dutch (3)  All languages (77)
Original and eye opening. I love everything about Brene Brown and her theories on shame, vulnerability, and courage. ( )
  stemreadsbookclub | Jul 26, 2021 |
I'd like to re-read this book soon and take notes! ( )
  RedSonja76 | Jun 26, 2021 |
After watching Browns Ted talks and hearing a number of recommendations, I knew I had to check out her books. Browns openness sets a tone for the reader, staying vulnerable and staying curious on how she can adapt. The core concept of the book - that embracing vulnerability is a path towards many things is best conveyed by one line from the book:

"Vulnerability is the birthplace of love, belonging, joy, courage, empathy, and creativity. It is the source of hope, empathy, accountability, and authenticity. If we want greater clarity in our purpose or deeper and more meaningful spiritual lives, vulnerability is the path." ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
3.5. The book started really strong for me and I would recommend it for the first few chapters without hesitation. She began to lose me near the end, but since she was talking about parenting, it was more on me than her. Also she has a huge bugaboo about anonymity online and while I agree with her that creates huge jackasses, I would argue that for many people (especially young people) it gives them a freedom to be more vulnerable than they can be otherwise, due to any number of reasons. But that's my bugaboo. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
I’m glad I finally read (listened) to this, considering I’ve read most of Brown’s other books. This seems to be the big one from which almost all the others are rooted. It helped me look back and reconsider some defining situations in my life, so for that I’m grateful. ( )
  spinsterrevival | Jan 22, 2021 |
At times her [Brown's] suggestions sound like the satirical affirmations of the Stuart Smalley character from TV's Saturday Night Live: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me." But she also offers good insights into how people don personal armor to shield themselves from vulnerability.
added by sgump | editWall Street Journal, Laura Landro (Oct 30, 2012)

Brown, Brenéprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garceau, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Horst, Marijke van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Steve

Jij maakt de wereld zoveel mooier
en mj zoveel moediger
. . . when I look at narcissism through the vulnerability lens, I see the shame-based fear of being ordinary.
The word persona is the Greek term for “stage mask.” [...F]itting in and belonging are not the same thing. [...] I get to be me if I belong. I have to be like you to fit in.
...the level to which we protect ourselves from being vulnerable is a measure of our fear and disconnection.
Connection is why we’re here. We’re hardwired to connect with others, it’s what gives purpose and meaning to our lives, and without it there is suffering.

In Daring Greatly, Dr. Brown challenges everything we think we know about vulnerability. Based on twelve years of research, her book argues that vulnerability is not weakness but rather our clearest path to courage, engagement, and meaningful connection. The book that Dr. Brown's many fans have been waiting for, Daring Greatly will spark a new spirit of truth — and trust — in our organizations, families, schools, and communities.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,513,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible