Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and…

Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes

by Jeffrey Hamelman

The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread by Peter Reinhart (Tuirgin)
    Tuirgin: I purchased Hamelman's Bread after I'd worked with BBA for a while. Hamelman's book does less hand-holding, but is more thorough in describing shaping techniques as well as the practical technical information on additives, sourdough, ingredient temperatures, etc. I don't think I would have wanted to start with Hamelman's book, and I wouldn't have wanted to finish with Reinhart's book. Between the two of them I have enough recipes and information to keep me baking for a long time to come.… (more)

Fabulous book. Hamelman treats you seriously, assumes you have a brain and can work out that things can be varied. His recipes include a conversation with you about the variations. He also informs you in general about what you can expect when you vary things.

The nicest treatment of grain breads I've come across so far. My only mild quibble is that I wish the amounts for the home baker were given in metric as well as imperial. ( )
  devilish2 | Dec 26, 2011 |
Buy this book if you are serious about making top quality bread. The techniques are here. The diagrams are good. Performing it all takes practice and more practice. I have taken Jeffrey Hamelman's Fundamentals of Bread class at King Arthur in Norwich, Vermont. This book memorializes his teachings, which is vital for your quest for excellence in breadmaking. My baguettes are better each time I make them. They are better than any baguette available locally. I make 4 a week, and since I can't eat 4 a week, my neighbors love me. You, too can join this quest for perfection in bread; just buy Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes, lots of King Arthur flour, and go for it. ( )
1 vote brendajanefrank | Oct 13, 2011 |
This has become my primary reference for baking bread. I started with Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice and a few months later purchased Hamelman's Bread. While BBA goes into a fairly lengthy narrative describing Reinhart's flavor building techniques, Hamelman's Bread goes into greater detail on the actual handling and shaping of the dough, as well as providing detailed information on additives, ingredient temperatures, and other practical details.

There is one caveat to my recommendation of this book: earlier versions of it were very poorly edited and in some of the recipes the ingredient amounts are badly off, especially for the home baker. Make sure you seek out the errata sheet for the book. With this in hand, Hamelman's Bread is a complete success. I haven't had any disappointing bakes using this book. ( )
  Tuirgin | Dec 16, 2010 |
An indispensable book for the serious baker. It has excellent technical information about bread making, and wonderful recipes. It is geared more towards the professional baker, but recipes are provided with home versions as well. The chapter on rye breads is excellent; one of the very few places in English with information on German ryes. ( )
1 vote oriboaz | May 5, 2008 |

The warm, complex aroma of a fresh-baked loaf of bread can be utterly tantalizing; the first bite, a revelation. In Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes, award-winning master baker Jeffrey Hamelman presents the definitive, one-stop reference on the art and science of bread baking - a kitchen essential for seasoned home bakers and professionals alike. Hamelman, a professional baker for nearly three decades, was a member of the United States national baking team that won first place in the 1996 Coupe du Monde de la Boulangerie, the bread-baking World Cup. Here, he shares this experience, putting world-class artisanal loaves within reach of any serious baker. Opening with a comprehensive overview of the foundations - essential ingredients; hand techniques for kneading, scoring, and shaping; the basic process from mixing through baking - he lucidly guides bakers through all elements of this richly rewarding craft.

Bread contains 118 detailed, step-by-step recipes for an array of breads: versatile sourdough ryes; breads made with pre-ferments; and simple, straight dough loaves. Recipes for brioche, focaccia, pizza dough, flat breads, and other traditional baking staples augment the diverse collection of flavors, tastes, and textures represented within these pages. From the delicate flavor and aroma of classic French baguettes to the mellow smoothness of Roasted Garlic Levain, a bread for every season and every palate is here.

Each recipe clearly outlines the key stages, with easy-to-use charts that list ingredients in both American and metric measures, quantities appropriate for home baking, and baker's percentages. Hundreds of drawings vividly illustrate techniques, and 35 handsome color photographs display finished breads. Sidebars accompany each recipe and section with valuable tips, from the subtle art of tasting and evaluating breads to the perfect fare to complement Vollkornbrot. A complete chapter on decorative breads - with instructions on techniques as well as a wide variety of exquisite patterns - will inspire magnificent display creations.

Laced throughout the book, Hamelman's personal narratives offer a compelling portrait of a lifelong love affair with bread and vividly communicate this passion. For bakers seeking to finesse this time-honored craft or simply to learn the tricks of the trade from a real master, Bread is a resource to be consulted time and time again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:12 -0400)

"Jeffrey Hamelman, a professional baker for nearly three decades, shares his experience, putting world-class artisanal loaves within reach of any serious baker. Opening with a overview of the foundations - essential ingredients; hand techniques for kneading, scoring, and shaping; the basic process from mixing through baking - he guides bakers through all elements of this craft." "Bread contains 118 detailed, step-by-step recipes for an array of breads. Hundreds of drawings illustrate techniques, and 35 color photographs display finished breads. Sidebars accompany each recipe and section with valuable tips, from the subtle art of tasting and evaluating breads to the perfect fare to complement Vollkornbrot. A complete chapter on decorative breads - with instructions on techniques as well as a wide variety of exquisite patterns - will inspire magnificent display creations."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,518,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible