The Last Rhinos: My Battle to Save One of…

The Last Rhinos: My Battle to Save One of the World's Greatest Creatures (2012)

by Lawrence Anthony, Graham Spence

Life on Lawrence Anthony's game reserve, Thula Thula, is rarely dull. But at least his orphaned rhino Heidi is calm around people, and a favourite of staff and guests alike. Until she is brutally slaughtered for her horn. Furious and heartsick, Lawrence heads off to track down the poachers, but also embarks on a bid to save the Congo's last few northern white rhino from extinction. Diplomatic efforts are failing, so he takes action himself, flying into a warzone to negotiate with rebels. Will he survive his most dangerous adventure yet, and will Thula Thula survive the drought that threatens the region? Peopled with unforgettable characters, from the local witch doctor to eccentric conservationist Brendan and the elephants who have such an extraordinary bond with Lawrence, The Last Rhinos is a sometimes funny, sometimes moving, always gripping read.… (more)

Lawrence Anthony was running a game reserve in South Africa when he heard that there were only about 15 northern white rhinos left in one reserve in the Congo. Unfortunately, the reserve had been abandoned by the people meant to protect the rhinos because of the presence of a terrorist group, the Lord’s Resistance Army. Lawrence was still worried about those rhinos, so he gathered a group of people who were willing to help and went to government officials to see if he could convince them to allow him and his people to rescue the rhinos to take them somewhere safe. In amidst all this, Lawrence ended up negotiating with the LRA for peace, while trying to enlist their help in protecting the rhinos.

I really liked this, even though there was more politics in the book than I’d expected. The start and end of the book focused on the rhinos and the animals in Lawrence’s own reserve, but most of the middle of it was his negotiations with the LRA. Even so, it was written in a way that I was quite interested in how it would all go, both with the animals and with the peace negotiations. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 24, 2019 |
After reading the Elephant Whisperer I could not wait to read another of Lawrence Anthony's books. This book is best read after the Elephant Whisperer because it continues the story of the animals on and off the reserve and the many adventures related to them. It brought me back to our wonderful time spent in Africa and also feeling the shock and outrage towards poachers. We as human beings are actually guests stepping into the animal world when in Africa on the reserves and Anthony is very attuned to this truth. He is truly inspirational in working to protect and save these remarkable creatures. Knowing how to get things to happen in the "African way and time" is his greatest achievement. ( )
  Katyefk | Apr 24, 2016 |
As before, it was amazing to accompany Lawrence Anthony on his brave journey. ( )
  BridgitDavis | Apr 22, 2016 |
I enjoyed The Elephant Whisper more but still very much enjoyed this book. It ended up being more about African politics than wildlife but, sadly, that is the truth and needs to be heard. Lawrence Anthony was truly an amazing and dedicated man! Great, worthwhile read!! ( )
  becka11y2 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Excellent story-telling. This is a biography and an epitaph. The story is inspiring but yet sad. I strongly recommend the book. ( )
  GlennBell | Aug 26, 2014 |

Lawrence Anthonyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spence, Grahammain authorall editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,851,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible