The Underwater Welder

by Jeff Lemire

"As an underwater welder on an oilrig off the coast of Nova Scotia, Jack Joseph is used to the immense pressures of deep-sea work. Nothing, however, could prepare him for the pressures of impending fatherhood. As Jack dives deeper and deeper, he seems to pull further and further away from his young wife and their unborn son. Then one night, deep in the icy solitude of the ocean floor, something unexplainable happens. Jack has a mysterious and supernatural encounter that will change the course of his life forever" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

English (17)  Italian (1)  All languages (18)
A sparse yet affecting ghost story that cuts to the bone. Underwater Welder author, Jeff Lemire, puts together a bare bones portrait of fatherhood and the wounds from childhood that can carry over. Lemire's spare black and white illustration creates a perfect mood that punctuates the darkness of the turbulent seas inside the main character. Highly recommended. ( )
  JeremyBrashaw | May 30, 2021 |
Interesting as a Jeff Lemire one-man show (the choice to put the whole thing in black and white was a good one, and gives the whole thing a spooky feeling) but ultimately kind of one-note and boring - the big reveal was more of a groan than a gasp. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
I wish I had a stronger reaction to this book as it has all the hallmarks of a great Lemire book (memory, loss, childhood, unresolved sorrow, evocative illustrations) but it didn't quite cohere for me. Perhaps the intro from Damon Lindelof describing it as a Twilight Zone episode was off-putting. It really wasn't very much like a TZ, and I didn't love being told that it would be? ( )
  steveportigal | Dec 31, 2020 |
In the introduction to The Underwater Welder, Damon Lindelof describes the story as an episode of the Twilight Zone and that is probably the best description possible. I must admit, I am enchanted by Jeff Lemire. Essex County was one of the best graphic novels I've read and now this "little" graphic novel was extremely powerful. Before I read any of his work, I heard him being talked about as a graphic novel "god" so when I finally read him, I was surprised at what I got. Both of these works have been deep, insightful and moving. They're insights into humanity, not superheroes. I highly recommend picking up The Underwater Welder and Essex County (which is awesome). ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
Incredible. I started reading it with hot tea and a warm cookie. By the time I put it down, I had completely forgotten and was left with cold tea and a hard cookie. The art is wonderful, so sketchy, so textured.. without actually being so. The best graphic novel I've read.. possibly ever. ( )
  e.b.soucy | Jan 7, 2020 |
For Gus.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,670,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible