Ethan of Athos by Lois McMaster Bujold
1,849445,393 (3.68)1 / 176
    Glory Season by David Brin (jorvaor)
    jorvaor: Los argumentos son muy diferentes, pero en ambas novelas se describen sociedades el método de reproducción ha sido diseñado por científicos y es diferente del nuestro.
    Commitment Hour by James Alan Gardner (PhoenixFalls)
    A Brother's Price by Wen Spencer (infiniteletters)

English (43)  Italian (1)  All languages (44)
Brilliant fun! Take this mostly horrible scifi concept of an all-female planet, reverse it to an all-male planet, then take it *seriously*. This poor protagonist doctor, sent out into the hostile and horrfyingly feminine universe, meets the brilliant Ellie Quinn of all people. It was SO MUCH FUN.
(Also, we get a gay happy end, in a way? Awwwww.) ( )
1 vote _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
I really loved this book. [a:Heidi Cullinan|3173295|Heidi Cullinan|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1258414504p2/3173295.jpg] recommended it to me in an "unofficial" side bet of the M/M Romance group "monthly pick it for me challenge" - or I might have never even picked it up.

Even though it was written in 1986, it contains quite a few new (to me - and I've read lots of sci-fi) and interesting ideas. It tells the story of an obstetrician/geneticist on the all-male planet of Athos. I liked the descriptions of a society where religious doctrine prescribes isolation from women, gay partnerships are the norm, and procreation is handled by technology. After 200 years of isolation this has led to quite a unique outlook and society. When Ethan is sent outside this protected circle he is confronted with quite a few surprises.

This is a great sci-fi story with only a few subtle m/m elements - much like I imagine a mainstream novel would look like on Athos. Very interesting! ( )
1 vote SerenaYates | Oct 14, 2017 |
What a cute story! I really was drawn into this one -- the same excellent eye for hidden implications of gravity in Falling Free is turned on gender in Ethan of Athos, and it's a delightful experience to see the pieces torn apart where I wasn't even noticing. The plot holds together, we get a bit more Quinn, and everything aligns in the end.... I was held rapt, of course. ( )
  pammab | Apr 16, 2017 |
Excellently read and an engrossing story! Plot: Ethan of Athos is a prenatal doctor/biologist from the planet Athos, an isolated, backwater, all-male society of the back-to-nature-and-God style. Children are born in replicators via ovarian cultures to men who have earned enough social credits and who are deemed fit for fatherhood. Things are going well until the current crop - the founding crop, actually - of ovarian cultures start to wear out, necessitating the purchase of more ASAP. Athos coughs up the money for a shipment, but, when it finally arrives, it turns out to be junk body parts. Ethan is reluctantly nominated as ambassador and sent to the originating space station to investigate and/or buy more. The first person Ethan sees upon docking is Ellie Quinn, a FEMALE mercenary who is interested in the missing shipment, too, because she's tracking an evil group who is killing anyone who gets between them and said shipment. This group kidnaps Ethan on his first day there and tortures him until they realize he's truly ignorant of the situation. Ellie and Ethan team up to solve the mystery and stay alive. (spoiler: there is no romantic spark between them, though Ethan comes to care for her as a friend. ( )
  lawjen3 | Feb 1, 2017 |
Ethan of Athos by Lois McMaster Bujold is considered as part of the Vokosigan Saga, but this science fiction story really stands alone with a new main character that we haven’t met before. That main character is Dr. Ethan Urquhart and he is the chief of biology at a reproduction centre on the planet of Athos. Athos is an exclusively male planet that relies on uterine replicator technology to have children. Unfortunately their cultures are getting old and have recently shown signs of permanently deteriorating. When a new shipment arrives and it proves to be total junk, Ethan is assigned the duty of hunting down a supply of fresh ovarian tissue cultures.

Venturing off the planet for the first time in his life, he travels to Kline Station and upon embarkation, the first woman that he meets is none other than Captain Elli Quinn, who is on leave from the Dendarii Free Mercenary Fleet. Ethan and Elli eventually join forces in order to investigate a plot by the Cetagandans involving a secret research project.

Another great entry into this sci-fi series. I had been hesitating to read it as I thought I would miss the Vorkosigan focus but this was a wonderful story and a great way to see Elli close up and in action. She is truly a kick-ass heroine and the relationship between her and Ethan was interesting. Lois McMaster Bujold continues to make the Vorkosigan series a huge favorite! ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 18, 2017 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elson, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gutierrez, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jainschigg, NicholasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For those who listened in the beginning:
Dee, Dave, Laurie, Barbara, R.J., Wes,
and the patient ladies of the M. A. W. A.
The birth was progressing normally.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067165604X, Mass Market Paperback)

Our hero is a quiet, upstanding citizen of Athos, an obstetrician in a world in which reproduction is carried out entirely via uterine replicator, without the aid of living women. Problem: the 200-year-old cultures are not providing eggs the way they used to, and attempts to order replacements by mail have failed catastrophically. But when Ethan is sent to find out what happened and acquire more eggs, he finds himself in a morass of Cetagandan covert ops and Jackson Whole politics--and the only person who's around to rescue him is the inimitable--and, disturbingly, female--Elli Quinn, Dendarii rent-a-spy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:42 -0400)

Dr. Ethan Urquhart is Chief of Biology at a District Reproduction Center. He delivers babies from uterine replicators. You see, on Athos there are no women. In fact, the planet is forbidden to them. Isolated from the galactic community by distance and a lack of exploitable resources, the Athosians have peacefully lived their peculiar social experiment for 200 years. But now, the ovarian cultures dating back to the original settlement of the planet are giving out. With the future of Athos at stake, Ethan is chosen on behalf of his cloistered fellows for a unique mission: to brave the wider universe in quest of new ovarian tissue cultures to replenish Athos' dwindling stocks. Along the way, he must tangle with covert operatives, killers, telepathy, interplanetary politics, and perhaps most disturbingly--an indomitable female mercenary named Elli Quinn.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,933,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible