The Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood

The Wicked Girls (2012)

by Alex Marwood

Weirdo by Cathi Unsworth (Soupdragon)
    Soupdragon: Both are convincingly told crime stories with dual narratives, featuring seaside towns in South-East England and schoolgirls accused of murder in the 1980s.
    Troubled Daughters, Twisted Wives: Stories from the Trailblazers of Domestic Suspense by Sarah Weinman (sturlington)

This book! If I were allowed to do so, I'd give the first half of Alex Marwood's crime novel an enthusiastic five stars. Marwood started with a bang, with the story of two pre-adolescent girls who were convicted of a murder and, years later, given new identities after their release, to protect them as their case was a famous one. The novel begins with the adult lives of the two women, although the reader doesn't know which adult was which child as both stories unfold.

In the present day, there are a series of murders of young women in the holiday seaside town of Whitmouth. Both women are tangential to the crime; Amber works as a cleaner in the amusement park where one body is found and Kirsty is a freelance reporter, sent to cover the story. As their paths begin to circle, the story tightens.

I read the first half of the book sure that I'd found another author as brilliant as [[Tana French]]. Then, as the story unfolded, it became more predictable, so that the third quarter of the book slipped back to a three and a half star read. I was still interested, but the plot started to fall into predictability. And the last quarter of the book was a generous two star read; the writing and the characters lost their nuance and vivacity and became rote, predictable and something that would not surprise anyone. I'm still surprised that a novel that was so good could change so completely, as though the first half had been written by a different person than the second half. ( )
1 vote RidgewayGirl | May 19, 2017 |
slow on the story but ends up having some good twists semi predictable . Not as action packed or wicked as it sounds it earned two stars because in the end a selfless act saved someone whom was doomed from childhood due to her last name that had gotten a great headstart after she served her time . Not Dark or Disturbing that was a big let down . ( )
  jsnickola | Nov 12, 2016 |
decent ( )
  ChrisWay | Jul 5, 2016 |
[b:The Wicked Girls|11940384|The Wicked Girls|Alex Marwood|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1340853882s/11940384.jpg|16901602]

From Amazon:
On a fateful summer morning in 1986, two eleven-year-old girls meet for the first time. By the end of the day, they will both be charged with murder. Twenty-five years later, journalist Kirsty Lindsay is reporting on a series of sickening attacks on young female tourists in a seaside vacation town when her investigation leads her to interview carnival cleaner Amber Gordon. For Kirsty and Amber, it’s the first time they’ve seen each other since that dark day so many years ago. Now with new, vastly different lives—and unknowing families to protect—will they really be able to keep their wicked secret hidden?

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed the audio of this read by Anna Bentinck. She had great, creepy voices for the proper characters, which not only added to the creep factor of the story, but helped keep the characters straight for me; there were so many of them. At first I was very confused as to what anything had to do with anything else, but as I finally surrendered to the story, it all started come together. I do have a few questions, but nothing that takes away from the story. There were so many twists and turns, I found myself talking aloud in my car while I was listening, much like when watching something suspenseful and you find yourself saying "Don't go in there!". I do warn there are some graphic parts describing very gory injuries in great detail and some horrible things done to dogs, which I know is a huge NO for some readers. I will seek more from this author for sure. ( )
  Jen_Bartels | May 31, 2016 |
From Amazon:

On a fateful summer morning in 1986, two eleven-year-old girls meet for the first time. By the end of the day, they will both be charged with murder. Twenty-five years later, journalist Kirsty Lindsay is reporting on a series of sickening attacks on young female tourists in a seaside vacation town when her investigation leads her to interview carnival cleaner Amber Gordon. For Kirsty and Amber, it’s the first time they've seen each other since that dark day so many years ago. Now with new, vastly different lives—and unknowing families to protect—will they really be able to keep their wicked secret hidden?

My Thoughts:

The story was really well constructed and I liked the way the story jumped between the present day and the past. The story of the two women as young girls and how the events unfold that terrible day are done slowly. The layers are peeled back as at the same time the reader sees what is happening in their lives currently. It seems like these two women have no chance to redeem themselves as once again their lives clash in the worst possible way. The subject matter of children that kill children may be hard for some to deal with but Alex Marwood tackles the subject masterfully. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
For William Mackesy
There’s a blanket, but from the aroma that rises from its folds, she guesses it’s never been washed. The cells are overheated and, despite the fact that Jade balled it up and pushed it into the corner of the room when they first brought her in here, the stink of stale piss and unwashed skin is hard to ignore. Officer Magill picks it up and holds it out towards her, wadded in her hand. ‘You’re going to have to wear this,’ she says. ‘Over your head. Apparently they’re not allowed to see your face.’

The noise was overwhelming, the feral, chanting voices of strangers wanting Justice.

That's us. We're the girls who killed Chloe. We are the Devil now.

One summer morning, three little girls meet for the first time.
By the end of the day, two will be charged with murder.

Twenty-five years ago, two little girls were imprisoned for murder. Now journalist Kirsty Lindsay is reporting on a series of sickening attacks on young women and her investigation leads her to cleaner Amber Gordon.

For Kirsty and Amber, it is the first time they have seen each other since that dark day when they were children. Aware of the danger they are in and with new identities — and families — to protect, they will do anything it takes to keep their wicked secret hidden...

"A gritty, psychological thriller that asks the question: How well can you know anyone? On a fateful summer morning in 1986, two eleven-year-old girls meet for the first time. By the end of the day, they will both be charged with murder. Twenty-five years later, journalist Kirsty Lindsay is reporting on a series of sickening attacks on young female tourists in a seaside vacation town when her investigation leads her to interview carnival cleaner Amber Gordon. For Kirsty and Amber, it's the first time they've seen each other since that dark day so many years ago. Now with new, vastly different lives--and unknowing families to protect--will they really be able to keep their wicked secret hidden? Gripping and fast-paced, with an ending that will stay with you long after you've read it, The Wicked Girls will appeal to fans of the Academy Award-nominated film Heavenly Creatures and the novels of Rosamund Lupton and Chevy Stevens."--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,179,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible