Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

Orphan Train

by Christina Baker Kline

3,3793561,609 (3.99)1 / 188
    Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Another good read showcasing a small bit of American history
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Isolated old ladies benefit by telling their stories to younger women.
    The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh (tangledthread)
    tangledthread: Similar story of a young woman aging out of the foster care system.
    My Notorious Life by Kate Manning (Anonymous user)
    Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult (JenniferMCampbell)

English (350)  Spanish (3)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All (356)
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Oct 16, 2017 |
For the most part, I did enjoy this story about a part of history I knew nothing about. I found the characters compelling, and I wanted to see good results for the children. The author surely tugs at readers' heart strings with all that happens to Niamh. Alternating with a modern story of a foster child, Molly, parallels are drawn between the two, even though their experiences are decades apart. I cared deeply for Molly too, since I have taught children who are part of the foster care system. I did find the coincidences a bit hard to believe at times, especially towards the end. I also felt that the end was very rushed, like the story had to end by a certain number of pages. Things were all too rosy there at the end! I always enjoy learning something new, and I am glad I read this novel and be introduced to part of American history I knew nothing about. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Oct 5, 2017 |
Would make a great YA book as an intro to history and parallels in history, as well as metaphor. ( )
  Abbey_Harlow | Oct 5, 2017 |
Superb! ( )
  RowleyWrites | Sep 28, 2017 |
I finally had a chance to read this book I kept hearing about, and it did not disappoint! This novel follows Molly, a present day child in the child welfare system, as well as a girl from the past known by many names. Molly meets this woman, now Vivian, through a community service project, and as they sift through Vivian's attic, they sift through her past. The story that unwinds, through Vivian's flashbacks, is a deeply moving story. I found myself rooting for young and old Vivian, and caring for Molly more and more each page while she grew as a result of learning Vivian's past. This was a remarkable read that I will be recommending to everyone!

Sarah M. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and believe that the plot was complicated enough to be intriguing but simple enough to remain understandable and easy to follow. I would recommend this book to a young adult but not to an adult or friend. While reading, I found the story to be mainly one sided, talking and focusing almost entirely on Niamh (Vivien) and it made the other characters feel shallow and not very complex – flat. Overall, I did like the book, especially the historical aspect and events in Niamh’s everyday life and I would definitely recommend to a young adult reader who wanted a strong heroine or who might be a history buff.
added by hannahmariebell | editMSU AdolLit, Hannah Bell (Sep 7, 1993)

This book was very good i think. It kept things historically accurate while also an interesting story.
added by m.marie.g | editMSU AdolLit, Michelle Green

I enjoyed this book and thought that it did an excellent job with keeping the historical accuracy correct while having an exciting and unpredictable story.
added by m.marie.g | editMSU AdolLit, Michelle Green

Metaal, CarolienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sævold, Ann-MagrittOvers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thieme, Britt-Mariesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toren, SuzanneReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In portaging from one river to another, Wabanakis had to carry their canoes and all other possessions. Everyone knew the value of traveling light and understood that it required leaving some things behind. Nothing encumbered movement more than fear, which was often the most difficult burden to surrender.
-Bunny McBride, Women of the Dawn
To
Christina Looper Baker,
who handed me the thread,
and Carole Robertson Kline,
who gave me the cloth.
Prologue
I believe in ghosts.
Through her bedroom wall Molly can hear her foster parents talking about her in the living room, just beyond her door.
"...you can't find peace until you find all the pieces."
– I learned long ago that loss is not only probable but inevitable. I know what it means to lose everything, to let go of one life and find another. And now I feel, with a strange, deep certainty, that it must be my lot in life to be taught that lesson over and over again.
Her hand flutters to her clavicle, to the silver chain around her neck, the Claddagh charm – those tiny hands clasping a crowned heart: love, loyalty, friendship – a never-ending path that leads away from home and circles back.

"Penobscot Indian Molly Ayer is close to 'aging out' out of the foster care system. A community service position helping an elderly woman clean out her home is the only thing keeping Molly out of juvie and worse.... As she helps Vivian sort through her possessions and memories, Molly learns that she and Vivian aren't as different as they seem to be. A young Irish immigrant orphaned in New York City, Vivian was put on a train to the Midwest with hundreds of other children whose destinies would be determined by luck and chance. Molly discovers that she has the power to help Vivian find answers to mysteries that have haunted her for her entire life--answers that will ultimately free them both. Rich in detail and epic in scope, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline is a powerful novel of upheaval and resilience, of unexpected friendship, and of the secrets we carry that keep us from finding out who we are."--from publisher's description… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,534,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible