Burma: Rivers of Flavor (2012)

by Naomi Duguid

The best way to learn about an unfamiliar culture is through its food. This book shows the splendors of an ancient and wonderful country, untouched by the outside world for generations, whose simple recipes delight and satisfy and whose people are among the most gracious on earth.

Fascinating food-centric look at a culture. Recipes were intriguing but semi-daunting, even for a confident cook like me. But there were a lot of ideas popping into my head about how to incorporate Burmese-style flavors into our NW foods. ( )
  beckydj | Jun 9, 2013 |
A beautiful book that is as much a travelogue as it is a cookbook. I love Burmese food to death and after relocating from the Bay Area to a small town, I can't get it anymore! (No more Burma Superstar for me.) I thought I'd be able to replicate some of these dishes at home, but I don't really want to use a ton of dried shrimp or fish sauce (not really available organic, right?) so I might not be making it. I do want to try the Shan "tofu," though, which is made from the super-good-for-you-gluten-free chickpea flour, and add that to some rice noodle soups. YUM!
  evforija | Apr 29, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,386,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible