On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers

On Stranger Tides (1987)

by Tim Powers

1,327325,861 (3.94)2 / 121
    The Price of Freedom by A. C. Crispin (emilioeduardob)
    Fell Cargo by Dan Abnett (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another fun mix of pirates and the supernatural

magical, piratical adventures. Follows one man who is sucked into the world of pirates and magic against his will. Many of Powers ideas from The Anubis Gates are present here: reincarnation, destiny, magic. I really enjoyed this book. Maybe more so than The Anubis Gates. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Well, I had to read this, because, you know, Pirates. Of the Caribbean or not, pirate adventures must be read.
And also, zombie voodoo!
How could any story with these elements not be good?

It wasn't bad, but I have to admit, I kept wishing it was better. I think, after reading both this and The Anubis Gates, that something about Powers' writing style is just not for me. I find the way he writes distancing - I never felt like I knew or emotionally identified with the characters. In order to enjoy it, I had to visually picture the (lots of) swashbuckling action and imagine that I was watching it, like a movie. The story really does have lots of great visual elements, and i do hope they use a lot of it in the upcoming movie - I think it will work out well. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Pirates and voodoo? It can't be bad! And we'll it's not bad, just.... not really interesting. I mean the story is entertaining and well written but neither that neither the two dimensional characters were unable to grab my attention. ( )
  TheCrow2 | Jan 4, 2016 |
How could I resist a book about pirates, zombies, voodoo, and sailing on the high seas? I didn’t, of course. I love a good swordfight aboard a sailing ship on a tumultuous sea and there are plenty in ON STRANGER TIDES. Throw in zombies and I’ve got goosebumps! Tim Powers has just enough storyline to bind the adventurous parts together.
The main character, Jack Shandy, is out to avenge his father but is distracted by a woman. Yuck. That whole “saving the damsel in distress” storyline was a distraction. The part about traveling through thick swampland to and from the Fountain of Youth was darn near hallucinogenic. The problem with that was that it seemed wrong for the book. It needed to be either expanded (my vote is expansion) or not in the book at all.
The fourth PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN movie is based on this book but I’ve not seen the movie. As soon as the pirate Captain Davies appears in the story I couldn’t see anyone else but Johnny Depp playing him, even though he isn’t the main character. His humor and energy made him my favorite.
I really enjoyed the book, even with its small faults, because its a good adventure story full of derring-do. It even has a very satisfying ending. Recommended for pirate enthusiasts!
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |

Tim Powersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clifton-Day, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gurney, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pinchot, BronsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Though the evening breeze had chilled his back on the way across, it hadn't yet begun its nightly job of sweeping from among the island's clustered vines and palm boles the humid air that day had left behind, and Benjamin Hurwood's face was gleaming with sweat before the black man had led him even a dozen yards into the jungle.
This was written by Tim Powers.

Jack Shandy, bookkeeper and puppeteer, is the least likely man to get mixed up with pirates. Yet, on his way to seek revenge against his rich uncle for cheating his now-dead father of an inheritance, he is kidnapped by zombie pirates and taken into adventures, misadventures and lands filled with voodoo.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,376,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible