On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers

On Stranger Tides (1987)

by Tim Powers

1,366388,411 (3.93)2 / 123
    The Price of Freedom by A. C. Crispin (emilioeduardob)
    Fell Cargo by Dan Abnett (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another fun mix of pirates and the supernatural

Pirates, voodoo, the caribbean, black magic... stop me if you've heard this story.

But OST is much more than a cobbled together version of a Disney ride. Powers has created a swashbuckling epic, and has enough ideas for any three other novels. There's epic sea battles, drunken sailors, some extremely nasty vilains, and a nightmarish trip to the Fountain of Youth that is worth a read all on its own.

Powers has a fantastic imagination, and the skill to get it all onto the page. I'm in awe of his talent. ( )
  williemeikle | Dec 22, 2018 |
This book was the basis of the fourth of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean. On the one hand, it's surprising they took so long to notice it--this was originally published in 1987. On the other hand, Powers doesn't write the same thing over and over, and this is his only "pirates of the Caribbean" novel.

Also, the movie is based very loosely on the book.

John Chandagnac is the son of a French puppeteer, who eventually left his father's business to become an accountant with an English merchant company. He's on his way to the Caribbean to track down his uncle, Sebastian, who cheated his father of his rightful inheritance when the ship, Vociferous Carmichael, is attacked by pirates. It's not long before he's pressed into pirate service, and renamed Jack Shandy.

And not long after that, working with the most famous pirate of all: Blackbeard.

Vodun, or voodoo, magic is a big part of this story, with dire consequences for quite a few people Jack comes to care about. On his trip out, he'd met Elizabeth Hurwood and her father, Benjamin, who turns out to have really dire plans for her. Hurwood's partner in magic, Leo Friend, has his own terrible plans for Elizabeth.

So does Blackbeard.

Jack at least wants to have better plans for her.

If he can outwit three powerful magicians.

The plot takes many interesting twists and turns, and Jack finds some very unexpected use for his puppetry skills.

This is, as always with Powers, smart, well-written, creative, clever, and thoughtful. The characters keep surprising the reader in ways that are utterly plausible and convincing. Powers also never fails to do his research, giving the novel an overall depth and reality that just can't be counted on in freewheeling historical fantasy.

I loved it.

Highly recommended.

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
Ligera y entretenida historia de aventuras marineras, brujerías caribeñas, piratas zombis, abordajes... escrita con buen ritmo y estilo. Me gustó :) ( )
  LuisBermer | Sep 2, 2018 |
Tales of Voodoo in the Caribbean at the end of the free booting pirate era. Not up to Tim Powers' usual standard, the writing is a bit wooden in places and the plotting patchy. However you do identify with Shandy, the main character thrust into the pirate world, and his mentor the pirate captain Philip Davies. Narrator Bronson Pinchot was recommended by Kottke and I really enjoyed his reading. ( )
  Matt_B | Aug 1, 2018 |
Better than I thought-a book group choice. I thought I would struggle but quickly got into this supernatural pirate world. I would make this ones 3.5. I've never seen the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, but now feel I must. Of course, I saw Johnny Depp as Jack Shandy the entire time. I like to form my own mental images, but this time it worked. A truly fun read! ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |

Tim Powersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clifton-Day, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gurney, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pinchot, BronsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Though the evening breeze had chilled his back on the way across, it hadn't yet begun its nightly job of sweeping from among the island's clustered vines and palm boles the humid air that day had left behind, and Benjamin Hurwood's face was gleaming with sweat before the black man had led him even a dozen yards into the jungle.
This was written by Tim Powers.

Jack Shandy, bookkeeper and puppeteer, is the least likely man to get mixed up with pirates. Yet, on his way to seek revenge against his rich uncle for cheating his now-dead father of an inheritance, he is kidnapped by zombie pirates and taken into adventures, misadventures and lands filled with voodoo.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,677,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible