Nelson Mandela by Kadir Nelson

Nelson Mandela

by Kadir Nelson

Nelson Mandela written and illustrated by Kadir Nelson. No modern life better illustrates the cost and the value of keeping the faith. Mandela was educated with the support of the United Methodist Church, drew strength from Thembu chiefs and his ancestors. The spare narrative moves swiftly through the timeline of Mandela’s life as a lawyer, activist, prisoner and president. The compelling pictures demonstrate his passion, character and generous spirit. ( )
  UnionCongUCC | Dec 19, 2018 |
Kadir Nelson tells the story of Nelson Mandela for children. It begins with Mandela's journey from his tribe at 13 to school. He's selected to leave and his new teacher refuses to use his native name and called him Nelson. I did not know that Mandela came from a tribe life or had his name changed because of school. I went by Luke until high school but I chose to change back to Lucas. Next Mandela hears the elders explain that "they made waron Europeans." I wouldn't think the South Africans believed they started the war. This the government started the apartheid, separating "African, Indian, European." Now that I understand Mandela's background better, I understand how Indian might also be categorized, but I did not know that was also happening. I wish Kadir Nelson would have spoken about or painted a version of his cell or a poem of Mandela's. The paintings are amazing. Done with oil on canvas and the lights and bright colors are especially highlighted throughout this relatively dark story. Notice too that when Kadir is both the author and illustrator, the book is labeled "words and paintings by," not Illustrated by. ( )
  lmoyers | Sep 24, 2018 |
"Nelson Mandela" was an inspirational and uplifting book. Its illustrations were beautiful and aided the story. The book and text structure of this book was unique but complementary. This book would definitely be best used as a read aloud book to students as the text was abundant and higher level. It was informative and shared the facts in an unbiased way. It exemplified hard work and standing up for what is right in the right way. The chant throughout, "Amandla!" "Ngawethu!" brought people together and unified their voices for the common goal. As a reader I could feel the weight being lifted and even the colors got brighter when he was released from prison. I enjoyed this read! ( )
  owaguespack | Sep 13, 2018 |
This is a good example of a biography because of it accurately describes a person's true life. When Mandela was nine years old, his father died, and he was sent to another school. When he grew up, he stood up for black people, which put him in prison. After 27 years, he became the leader of the nation. The illustration is an oil painting, which is good in the whole book. Teachers can use this book to teach black history. It may be suitable for students above grade three. ( )
  WuKundi | Mar 10, 2018 |
It is a good example of biography because it clearly explain Mandela's life to me.
Mandela is a fighter for the equality between color people and white people.
From the story, I am moved by his spirit. He never stop fighting even though he is in the jail. He devotes his life to the development of equality. The board "European only" has come down.
Good for elementary to teach history and discuss the festival of Martin Luther‘s Day ( )
  Zhaoying | Feb 28, 2018 |

One day when Nelson Mandela was nine years old, his father died and he was sent from his village to a school far away from home, to another part of South Africa. In Johannesburg, the country's capital, Mandela saw fellow Africans who were poor and powerless. He decided then that he would work to protect them. When the government began to keep people apart based on the color of their skin, Mandela spoke out against the law and vowed to fight hard in order to make his country a place that belonged to all South Africans.

Kadir Nelson tells the story of Mandela, a global icon, in poignant verse and glorious illustrations. It is the story of a young boy's determination to change South Africa and of the struggles of a man who eventually became the president of his country by believing in equality for people of all colors. Readers will be inspired by Mandela's triumph and his lifelong quest to create a more just world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

Presents a biography of the former South African president best known for his political activism and fight to end apartheid.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,573,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible