dismiss

Nelson Mandela

by Kadir Nelson

Presents a biography of the former South African president best known for his political activism and fight to end apartheid.
Recently added byNgiad, mstylr9, annajobeck, GeoKids, private library, Afowa, ASEDS, AminaIs, lcslibrarian

The author did a great job of telling Nelson Mandela's story for a young reader to understand better. There were no complexities, just facts stated in this book. The way the past was tied into the present, for example, when the author mentions Africa's ancestors and why he met his wife Winnie, and why he dared to fight for equality for his people. It was a remarkable book and inspiring, of course. ( )
  KaylaCrescioni | Mar 23, 2020 |
I have mixed feelings on this book seeing as its extremely well written, paced, and drawn but the plot does not leave much in the sense of gripping conflict that engrosses the reader. It pushes the reader to think about freedom and what they would do when faced with injustice, but it more or less just tells. I do not feel like the novel wants to open me up, but instead just implant the necessary information given. The writing is solid alongside understandable language, but it lacks the luster that a Mandela story should have in my opinion. ( )
  rfoyle1 | Mar 3, 2020 |
What catches your eye right away is that there is no title or the author’s name on the front cover, there is just a portrait of a kind face of Nelson Mandela. I thought that was a great choice of the author and illustrator Kadir Nelson. This is a moving biography of Nelson Mandela , a former president and a great liberator of South Africa. I, personally, did not know that his dad dies at the age of 9. Then Nelson was put to study under a great chief far away from home. I also did not know that Nelson spent 27 years in jail. He was an inspiring leader who fought for justice and against apartheid. He was successful at that. I want to be him when I grow up!! :) ( )
  YUvarova | Nov 5, 2019 |
A well written and beautifully illustrated book on the life of Nelson Mandela. A good introduction for young readers on the history of South Africa and the role of their most beloved leader. ( )
  lisaladdvt | Jul 17, 2019 |
Nelson Mandela written and illustrated by Kadir Nelson. No modern life better illustrates the cost and the value of keeping the faith. Mandela was educated with the support of the United Methodist Church, drew strength from Thembu chiefs and his ancestors. The spare narrative moves swiftly through the timeline of Mandela’s life as a lawyer, activist, prisoner and president. The compelling pictures demonstrate his passion, character and generous spirit. ( )
  UnionCongUCC | Dec 19, 2018 |
What do children learn from reading Mandela? That black Africans suffered for centuries because they could not go to white beaches and that they were hopeless until Mandela came along. Mandela was all powerful and (reinforcing an all too familiar stereotype) Africans are poor and need to be rescued.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,986,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible