As the Crow Flies by Jeffrey Archer

As the Crow Flies (1991)

by Jeffrey Archer

English (27)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (29)
once in a while a book comes which rekindles your interest in books.
this is one such book.
once i started it, it was very hard to part from it.
the way jeff archr takes the reader through the life journey of its character is unique. ( )
  abhidd1687 | Jul 9, 2017 |
I really liked Kane and Abel decades ago and this reminds me of that. Competently written with engaging and real characters and a thoroughly gripping story. Perhaps a bit formulaic but well done. Hardly literature but you are in good hands.
Story: 5/5 Brilliantly engaging.
World: 4/5 Interesting period but not sure how much the world was conditioned to fit the story. Convincing though.
Characters: 5/5 Interesting variety of characters who were a bit unpredictable (that's good). A bit overly polarised between good and bad though. Well developed as story progressed.
Writing: 4/5 Smooth and competent without pretending to be literature. ( )
  PeterWhitfield | May 19, 2016 |
Hugely enjoiyable and entertaining. My one criticism of J.A's books is that time runs either very slowlly or at an alarming speed, keeping me guessing how old the characters are. Rollicking good read, though, when there is always a twist at the end. ( )
  gogglemiss | Mar 26, 2016 |
I always enjoy Jeffrey Archer books and this was no exception. A rag-to-riches story, the reader follows the life of Charlie Trumpers Beginning in 1900 young Charlie is an eight year-old barrow boy and over the next seventy years, through hard work and perseverance, becomes a self-made millionaire and chairman of his own chain of London department stores. His highs and lows, joys and disappointments, and his on-going feud with the Trentham family makes this an entertaining read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Lighter saga @ Charlie Trumper - founder of large department store his may trials - okay

Growing up in the slums of East End London, Charlie Trumper dreams of someday running his grandfather's fruit and vegetable barrow. That day comes suddenly when his grandfather dies leaving him the floundering business. With the help of Becky Salmon, an enterprising young woman, Charlie sets out to make a name for himself as "The Honest Trader". But the brutal onset of World War I takes Charlie far from home and into the path of a dangerous enemy whose legacy of evil follows Charlie and his family for generations.
  christinejoseph | Dec 12, 2015 |
To James
To Frank and Kathy
"I don't offer you these for tuppence," my granpa would shout, holding up a cabbage in both hands, "I don't offer 'em for a penny, not even a ha'penny. No, I'll give 'em away for a farthin'."
Please distinguish between Jeffrey Archer's 1991 novel, As the Crow Flies, and Craig Johnson's 2012 novel of the same title (Book 8 in the "Walt Longmire" Series). Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312997116, Mass Market Paperback)

When Charlie Trumper inherits his grandfather's fruit and vegetable barrow, he inherits as well his enterprising spirit, which quickly lifts him out of poverty in London's East End. Success, however, does not come easily or quickly, particularly when World War I sends Charlie into combat and into an ongoing struggle with a vengeful enemy who will not rest until Charlie is destroyed. Charlie Trumper's epic journey carries him across three continents and through the triumphs and disasters of the twentieth century, all leading toward the fulfillment of his greatest dream.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:05 -0400)

Charlie Trumper, a poor boy, makes good as a department store tycoon and marries his sweetheart, but he becomes the victim of a nefarious campaign against him conducted by the father of his sweetheart's illegitimate son.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,063,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible