Collected Stories of William Faulkner by…

Collected Stories of William Faulkner (1951)

by William Faulkner

1,116None7,372 (4.17)38

This collection of Faulkner's short fiction is divided into geographical settings, starting in the familiar land of Yoknapatawpha County and extending outward to encompass the rest of the country and beyond, with the final section involving elements outside of this world. I personally found the stories in the first few sections the most compelling. They involve many of the characters and settings familiar from his novels and provide us with a variety of viewpoints of life in the county. Of the latter stories, many involve military service and utilize unexplained lingo and events I was unfamiliar with, so that may have colored my perception. A few favorites for their unique narration and/or unexpected plot: "A Rose for Emily", "Dry September", "Elly", "That Will Be Fine", "Turnabout" and "Beyond".
1 vote sholt2001 | Jun 22, 2010 |
3443. Collected Stories of William Faulkner (read May 11, 2001) I saw that I had read every National Book Award fiction winner from the institution of the award in 1950 till 1968 except this book. So I thought I would read this since it was at the library. There are 42 stories and I found it a chore to read one after another for 900 pages. Some of the stories are very good, but some are poor and dull. Many have the defect common in modern-day short stories--not telling what happened and kind of leaving the reader up in the air. "A Rose for Emily"--which I believe has been anthologized quite a bit is, I thought, probably the best story in the book, if I had to choose one. ( )
  Schmerguls | Nov 23, 2007 |
I was blown away by this collection. I've never come across a better collection of stories than this one. His WWI stories, I don't particularly care for, but I was mesmerized by almost everything in this book. Faulkner is my ultimate hero. ( )
  BeaverMeyer | Jul 29, 2007 |
"A Rose For Emily" is, well, perfect
  thm61 | Jan 20, 2006 |
Faulkner is no longer known for his short stories, except perhaps for “The Bear,” which appeared both as a stand-alone and as part of Go Down, Moses, but the collection for which he won the National Book Award is really a stunning achievement, and as unsettling as they come.

The store in which the Justice of the Peace's court was sitting smelled of cheese.

“I’m a failed poet. Maybe every novelist wants to write poetry first, finds he can’t and then tries the short story which is the most demanding form after poetry. And failing that, only then does he take up novel writing.” —William Faulkner

Winner of the National Book Award

Forty-two stories make up this magisterial collection by the writer who stands at the pinnacle of modern American fiction. Compressing an epic expanse of vision into hard and wounding narratives, Faulkner’s stories evoke the intimate textures of place, the deep strata of history and legend, and all the fear, brutality, and tenderness of the human condition. These tales are set not only in Yoknapatawpha County, but in Beverly Hills and in France during World War I. They are populated by such characters as the Faulknerian archetypes Flem Snopes and Quentin Compson, as well as by ordinary men and women who emerge so sharply and indelibly in these pages that they dwarf the protagonists of most novels.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:15 -0400)

A selection of short stories by William Faulkner.

68 wanted4 pay3 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible