The Thousand Names by Django Wexler

The Thousand Names (2013)

by Django Wexler

Recently added byprivate library, kd_lawson, DuckOfDoom, joeslucher, LoZioSpino, guido47, alexezell, TaraWood

The last chapters of the book bumped it up from four to five stars ( )
  Eclipse777 | Jun 2, 2018 |
A fun and entertaining read overall and one that I will be continuing on with the rest of the series. It started off somewhat different than I expected with plenty of action going on but little to no magic apparent. I had in my mind that this was a similar type story to Brian McClellan's Powder Mage series but, except for the muskets and cannons, this was a completely different animal that took me awhile to get my head around. I am glad I stuck it out as this one provides some serious magic stuff later in the book and a really great ending to this chapter of the series. I can't wait to get started on the next bool!!!

4.5 Stars for a really fun read and recommended for all fantasy fans. ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
I read this book in 2013 and remembered only a whiff of 1 non-essential side discussion. Which is why, fresh from reading it I cannot give it more than 3/5 where if I had reviewed it in 2013 I might have ranked it as high as 4/5 but 3.5 is more likely. While some scenes are absorbing and Wexler keeps the battles fairly brief, I was too often wanting the current bit to finish up to get to the more interesting stuff. The characters aren't bad, but not quite top notch, the most interesting being Colonel Janus. Winter, the woman in disguise as a soldier never convinces me, but isn't otherwise annoying. ( )
  quondame | Apr 10, 2018 |
I'm 100% here for Winter. She's one of the best characters I've come across lately, and I loved her story arc. I will definitely continue this series because of her.

The rest of the book didn't really grip me. I'm not sure if the military aspect of the book was too dominant (which wouldn't be the book's fault, since that's its genre) or if me and Marcus just didn't click. Sadly half the book is about Marcus, and I just couldn't bring myself to care about him or his arc.

The world building is clever and intricate, the magic system promising. I thought the first half of the book was quite slow, and I ended up finding the bad guys much more interesting than the good guys. I wish we could have seen more of the other side. Their magic is nifty!

Maybe in the next book? ( )
  Vinjii | Mar 22, 2018 |
Technical, tactical writing.
Gave you a dash of magic at the start and left you dry for the next 75% of the book.
Momentum was ramped up in last 25% and really gripped my interest in finishing the trilogy... dangit, 2 more books to read now lol. ( )
  LongTrang117 | Oct 6, 2017 |
For Rachel and Stanley, who believed
Prologue

The new supreme rulers of Khandar met in the old common room of the Justices,  the cudgel-bearing peacekeepers and constabulary who were now the closest thing the city of Ashe-Katarion had to a civil authority.

Winter Ihernglass poses as a man to enlist in the Vordanai Colonials and must form an allegiance with a new colonel, appointed by the king to restore order, after she's promoted to a command post.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,863,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible