Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan

Pride of Baghdad (2006)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Niko Henrichon (Illustrator)

Other authors: Todd Klein (Letterer)

English (80)  Danish (1)  All languages (81)
Tomando como punto de partida un hecho real (el bombardeo de Bagdad y la huída de varios animales del zoológico) la obra de Vaughan dota de rasgos humanos e inteligencia a los animales para hacernos cómplices de sus emociones, de sus relaciones como manada y su estupor a todo lo que sucede a su alrededor. Porque pese a ser un grupo no demasiado bien avenido, en la adversidad deben cooperar entre ellos.
Que los leones hablen no convierte esta obra en algo infantil, al contrario: comprender sus sentimientos hace que todavía sea más desgarrador para el lector comprobar como en el fondo, el cómic es una crítica a la guerra de Irak desde el punto de vista de estos leones, que ven bombardeado su habitat y se ven libres, pero, ¿a qué precio?
'Los leones de Bagdad' nos muestra la guerra desde el punto de vista de los que han tenido simplemente la mala suerte de haber nacido en un territorio que se convierte en hostil a causa de unos dirigentes que no calculan el impacto sobre la población que puede tener un conflicto armado. Muy recomendable. ( )
  Carla_Plumed | Dec 3, 2018 |
I loved this graphic novel, especially the illustrations. I'm a sucker for lions - they are so easy to anthropomorphise. But what a sad story. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Goodreads Synopsis:
From one of America’s most critically acclaimed graphic novel writers – inspired by true events, a startlingly original look at life on the streets of Baghdad during the Iraq War.
In his award-winning work on Y THE LAST MAN and EX MACHINA (one of Entertainment Weekly’s 2005 Ten Best Fiction titles), writer Brian K. Vaughan has displayed an understanding of both the cost of survival and the political nuances of the modern world. Now, in this provocative graphic novel, Vaughan examines life on the streets of war-torn Iraq.

In the spring of 2003, a pride of lions escaped from the Baghdad zoo during an American bombing raid. Lost and confused, hungry but finally free, the four lions roamed the decimated streets of Baghdad in a desperate struggle for their lives. In documenting the plight of the lions, PRIDE OF BAGHDAD raises questions about the true meaning of liberation – can it be given or is it earned only through self-determination and sacrifice? And in the end, is it truly better to die free than to live life in captivity?

Based on a true story, VAUGHAN and artist NIKO HENRICHON (Barnum!) have created a unique and heartbreaking window into the nature of life during wartime, illuminating this struggle as only the graphic novel can.

My Review:
Let me say first that I really like the cover, and just the art in general. Although not something I would usually pick out for myself, I was recommended this book by my dad and really enjoyed it. It starts off with a crow saying that the sky is falling, and a lion saying that that's not possible, only to see jets fly over them in the Baghdad Zoo moment later. Safa, an old female lion, says that soon everything they know will be gone, while Sill just says that she's being dramatic. Little do they know just how much their lives would change.

Back in the den, the cub Ali's mother Noor is having a dangerous conversation with an antelope through the bars of their cages. She thinks that if they all work together, they can escape the zoo and taste real freedom. Everyone else is completely against the idea, not wanting to sacrifice food and shelter for freedom. The antelope says that they can either live apart or die together, and that those are the only two options. This book is exciting and thrilling in a completely different way that everything else I've read lately. Although the characters aren't actually people, they're lions, I got a little bit attached to them. Usually I'm not a big fan of books where the characters are animals, but this one was refreshing and I'm glad I read it. Definitely check it out if you get the chance.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon.

Thanks for reading! Check out this review and more at my blog.
(Radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com) ( )
  aurora.schnarr | Jul 20, 2018 |
This was an amazing graphic novel. I didn't know (or had forgotten) how the story played out so I was very surprised by the ending. I would highly recommend this book. ( )
  JillKenna | Jul 18, 2018 |
Entertaining graphic novel based on the true occurrence of 4 lions escaping the Baghdad zoo during the bombing of 2003. The novel is indeed graphic as it depicts the gruesome deaths of numerous animals including (spoiler) the 4 lions that the story centers around. A good read for teenagers--has all the language, violence, and references to sex that any teen boy could possibly wish for. ( )
  rdwhitenack | Jun 6, 2017 |
Vaughan has created a fascinating world – even if the characters are a little two dimensional – with a story that might seem all too Disney if it wasn’t for the story-bombs Vaughan keeps detonating, mixing things up and pulling us back from cosy talking animals to remind us of the horrors of war and nature.
added by stephmo | editGrovel, Andy (Mar 14, 2008)

Some of the happenings are a bit too convenient (for example, the two surprise rescues), and the writer occasionally allows the cub too many awww-inducing moments of cuteness. This isn’t a simplistic story, though, with an obvious message.

Damn those boys for making me cry like a man. It’s always a given that any story involving animals will hit me right where it counts, and Pride of Baghdad is no exception.
added by stephmo | editPopMatters, Niko Henrichon (Oct 9, 2006)

Vaughan's heart-wrenching story is graced by some of the most stunning visuals every collected in a single volume.
added by stephmo | editIGN Comics, Hillary Goldstein (Sep 14, 2006)

A Vaughan fan might forgive the faults of Pride and enjoy the art and successes, but a first-time reader would be better served by reading his back library than this well-intended but ultimately inadequate story.

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Henrichon, NikoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Daniel M. Kanemoto
-Brian K. Vaughan

For Laëtitia Cassan
-Niko Henrichon
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

In the Spring of 2003, a pride of lions escaped from Baghdad Zoo during an American bombing raid. Lost and confused, hungry but finally free, the four lions roamed the decimated streets of Baghdad in a desperate struggle for their lives.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,853,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible