dismiss

Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan

Pride of Baghdad (2006)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Niko Henrichon (Illustrator)

Other authors: Todd Klein (Letterer)

In the spring of 2003, a pride of lions escaped from the Baghdad Zoo during an American bombing raid. Lost and confused, hungry but finally free, the four lions roamed the decimated streets of Baghdad in a desperate struggle for their lives. In documenting the plight of the lions, Pride of Baghdad raises questions about the true meaning of liberation -- can it be given, or is it earned only through self-determination and sacrifice? And in the end, is it truly better to die free than to live life in captivity?… (more)

English (86)  Danish (1)  All languages (87)
Gorgeous art and a moving story

I first read this book almost thirteen years ago. It has been on my mind since I came across it while rearranging my library a couple of weeks ago so I sat down with it this afternoon.

Still an amazing story, based on the escape of four lions from a zoo in Baghdad during a bombing raid in 2003. The lions here are imagined with human-like personalities (think Disney's "The Lion King", only much darker) and the art is fantastic.

I'm pleased this story has never been animated as I'd hate to see it done "on the cheap". I do however wish more people got so read books like this, to see how well a story can be presented in this format.

Very highly recommended. ( )
  freelunch | Jan 18, 2020 |
Very quick read, but very disturbing. ( )
  trinker | Jan 9, 2020 |
I'll give it two stars for it's originality but despite the rich landscape the writer didn't do very much with the story. I even found much of the brutality (that rape scene was out of nowhere am I right?) too disconnected to provide more than it distracted. Was it worth the half hour it took to read? Maybe. Maaaybe. ( )
  Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |
  Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |
Based on a true incident, Pride of Baghdad tells the fictionalized story of four lions that escape the Baghdad Zoo as the American military takes over in 2003. Told from the lions' perspective, the story addresses questions about freedom and survival. Beautifully illustrated, Niko Henrichon's use of color enhances the telling of this solemn, thought-provoking story. ( )
  TAPearson | Sep 30, 2019 |
Vaughan has created a fascinating world – even if the characters are a little two dimensional – with a story that might seem all too Disney if it wasn’t for the story-bombs Vaughan keeps detonating, mixing things up and pulling us back from cosy talking animals to remind us of the horrors of war and nature.
added by stephmo | editGrovel, Andy (Mar 14, 2008)

Some of the happenings are a bit too convenient (for example, the two surprise rescues), and the writer occasionally allows the cub too many awww-inducing moments of cuteness. This isn’t a simplistic story, though, with an obvious message.

Damn those boys for making me cry like a man. It’s always a given that any story involving animals will hit me right where it counts, and Pride of Baghdad is no exception.
added by stephmo | editPopMatters, Niko Henrichon (Oct 9, 2006)

Vaughan's heart-wrenching story is graced by some of the most stunning visuals every collected in a single volume.
added by stephmo | editIGN Comics, Hillary Goldstein (Sep 14, 2006)

A Vaughan fan might forgive the faults of Pride and enjoy the art and successes, but a first-time reader would be better served by reading his back library than this well-intended but ultimately inadequate story.

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Henrichon, NikoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Daniel M. Kanemoto
-Brian K. Vaughan

For Laëtitia Cassan
-Niko Henrichon
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,276,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible