William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope

by Ian Doescher

Other authors: George Lucas (Inspiration)

Series: William Shakespeare's Star Wars (Part the Fourth)

A retelling of Star wars in the style of Shakespeare, in which a wise Jedi knight, an evil Sith lord, a beautiful captive princess, and a young hero coming of age reflect the valor and villainy of the Bard's greatest plays.

English (121)  Swedish (1)  All languages (122)
Well, this was...... interesting.
So basically, Ian Doescher has taken the story of Star Wars 'A New Hope' & set it to iambic pentameter.
I actually did mostly enjoy this, it was pretty funny in places eg:
Luke: Pray whither goest, thou naughty droid?!
R2-D2: Beep, meep, beep, squeak!
I don't really think there's much more to say except that if this had been published while I was in high school, I might actually have wanted to study Shakespeare lol!
  leah152 | Aug 16, 2022 |
This book was pure nerdy fun... I'd love to see a production of this parody, either film or stage! ( )
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
Doescher knows his Shakespeare and his Star Wars. I was thoroughly amused. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
The best part about this book is not the "translation" of the Star Wars script into Shakespearean poetry, but how Doescher uses the conventions of Shakespeare to enhance the script. The first time I read an "[aside]" by R2-D2 I laughed with delight. Most of the characters have at least one added moment of private musing which is shared with the audience: Luke on his loyalty to his family vs his desire for adventure, Obi-Wan pondering how much of the truth he should tell Luke, Tarkin about his relationship with Vader, and etc.

For readers who are familiar with Shakespeare, there are familiar (slightly twisted) lines sprinkled liberally throughout the text: "What light through yonder flashing sensor breaks?" Some are a bit awkwardly melded, as when Luke jumps from "Friends, rebels, starpilots, lend me your ears" (Julius Caesar) to Henry V's Crispin Day speech, but even those are more amusing than jolting.

I suspect that Society for Creative Anachronism events and Science Fiction conventions of all sizes will witness a lot of productions of the text -- which will simply add to the hours of fun and pleasure that are the legacy of Star Wars. ( )
  jsabrina | Jul 13, 2021 |
The author makes a pretty strong case for the connection between Star Wars and Shakespeare (the hero archetype, etc), but when it comes down to it the epic saga of the Rebel Alliance doesn't quite fit the 5-act play format. Doescher does a great job translating the dialogue into iambic pentameter, but there's just too much happenning visually in the movie to be appropriately conveyed through the dialogue alone. He also adds a Chorus (which is in the style of Greek and Roman dramas, but not so much Shakepeare's plays) to describe the scenery, but it just feels a bit forced. (No pun intended, seriously). I did like how he gave R2D2 real lines besides the beeping though; sometimes those asides are just handy! ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |

Prologue:
Outer space.
Enter
CHORUS

CHORUS: It is a period of civil war.
The spaceships of the rebels, striking swift
From base unseen, have gain'd a vict'ry o'er
The cruel Galactic Empire, now adrift.
Thou knave!

With thy last breath hear thou this word: if this

Is but a cons'lar ship, then where is the ambassador?

May the verse be with you! Inspired by one of the greatest creative minds in the English language—and William Shakespeare—here is an officially licensed retelling of George Lucas’s epic Star Wars in the style of the immortal Bard of Avon.

The saga of a wise (Jedi) knight and an evil (Sith) lord, of a beautiful princess held captive and a young hero coming of age, Star Wars abounds with all the valor and villainy of Shakespeare’s greatest plays. Reimagined in glorious iambic pentameter, William Shakespeare’s Star Wars will astound and edify learners and masters alike. Zounds! This is the book you’re looking for.
Verily, the tale
of Star Wars IV: A New Hope
doth herein be told.
(yoyogod)
What if "A long time

ago" really meant back in

Shakespearian words?

(legallypuzzled)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ian Doescher's book William Shakespeare's Star Wars was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,764,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible