Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces…

Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions

by Dan Ariely

English (91)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (93)
I am pretty sure that I read this book when it was first published about 10 years or more. Interesting book with interesting insights and including interesting anecdotes and stories.

Some notes from the book:

“Let me start with a fundamental observation: most people don’t know what they want unless they see it in context. We don’t know what kind of racing bike we want – – until we see a champ in the Tour de France ratcheting the gears on a particular model.’

“We are always looking at the things around us in relation to others. We can’t help it. This holds true not only for physical things but for experiences such as vacations and educational options, and for ephermal things as well: emotions, attitudes, and points of view."

“What if you are single, and hope to appeal to as many attractive potential dating partners as possible… My advice would be to bring a friend who has your basic physical characteristics but is slightly less attractive than you.”

“If you’re a company, my advice is to remember that you can have it both ways. You can’t treat your customers like family one moment and then treat them impersonally – – or even worse, as a nuisance or a competitor – – a moment later when this becomes more convenient or profitable.”

“It should be a reminder to us all that we have doors – – little and big ones – – which we ought to shut. We need to drop out of committees that are a waste of our time and stop sending holiday cards to people who moved on to other lives and friends.’’

“The brilliant satirist Alexander Pope once wrote: “Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.” To me, it seems that Pope’s advice is the best way to live an object of life.”

“The brain cannot start from scratch at every new situation. It must build on what it has seen before. For that reason, stereotypes are not intrinsically malevolent.” ( )
  writemoves | Jun 17, 2019 |
A fun read, that's what characterizes this book. Good as a survey of some of Ariely's work, not so much as a rigorous defense of methodology. Personally, one of my complaints is that he seems to stretch a little in applications of lessons learned to the point where he's selling behavioral economics. Either way I liked how it was written, simple and enjoyable with some humor and many anecdotes. Great if approached as a fun read and not a treatise. ( )
  vhl219 | Jun 1, 2019 |
This is well written, and well organized. However, I have a low opinion of behavioral economics in general. I have not read the revised edition. ( )
  TheMagnificentKevin | Oct 12, 2018 |
This was as fun and interesting read, thought provoking and funny. I had an issue with the trials it was based on though; the deeper I went into the book the less I trusted his trials and his interpretations of them. ( )
  MikeMonje | Jul 29, 2018 |
Nous prenons des décisions absurdes par ce que nous ne sommes pas aussi rationnels que nous le voudrions. Cette irrationnalité se traduit par une multitude de "mauvais" choix, qui touchent tant à notre quotidien qu'à des décisions plus importantes.
  ACParakou | May 28, 2018 |

Dan Arielyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Galli, ChiccaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mentors, colleagues, and students -- who make research exciting
To my mentors, colleagues, and students—
who make research exciting
I have been told by many people that I have an unusual way of looking at the world.
There is also a revised and expanded edition. Please do not combine.

Why do our headaches persist after taking a one-cent aspirin but disappear when we take a 50-cent aspirin?.

Why does recalling the Ten Commandments reduce our tendency to lie, even when we couldn't possibly be caught?.

Why do we splurge on a lavish meal but cut coupons to save twenty-five cents on a can of soup?.

Why do we go back for second helpings at the unlimited buffet, even when our stomachs are already full?.

And how did we ever start spending $4.15 on a cup of coffee when, just a few years ago, we used to pay less than a dollar?.

When it comes to making decisions in our lives, we think we're in control. We think we're making smart, rational choices. But are we?.

In a series of illuminating, often surprising experiments, MIT behavioral economist Dan Ariely refutes the common assumption that we behave in fundamentally rational ways. Blending everyday experience with groundbreaking research, Ariely explains how expectations, emotions, social norms, and other invisible, seemingly illogical forces skew our reasoning abilities..

Not only do we make astonishingly simple mistakes every day, but we make the same types of mistakes, Ariely discovers. We consistently overpay, underestimate, and procrastinate. We fail to understand the profound effects of our emotions on what we want, and we overvalue what we already own. Yet these misguided behaviors are neither random nor senseless. They're systematic and predictable—making us predictably irrational.

From drinking coffee to losing weight, from buying a car to choosing a romantic partner, Ariely explains how to break through these systematic patterns of thought to make better decisions. Predictably Irrational will change the way we interact with the world--one small decision at a time   [book description from Amazon 9/17/2010]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006135323X, Hardcover)

Why do our headaches persist after taking a one-cent aspirin but disappear when we take a 50-cent aspirin? Why does recalling the Ten Commandments reduce our tendency to lie, even when we couldn't possibly be caught? Why do we splurge on a lavish meal but cut coupons to save twenty-five cents on a can of soup? Why do we go back for second helpings at the unlimited buffet, even when our stomachs are already full? And how did we ever start spending $4.15 on a cup of coffee when, just a few years ago, we used to pay less than a dollar?

Not only do we make astonishingly simple mistakes every day, but we make the same types of mistakes, Ariely discovers. We consistently overpay, underestimate, and procrastinate. We fail to understand the profound effects of our emotions on what we want, and we overvalue what we already own. Yet these misguided behaviors are neither random nor senseless. They're systematic and predictable...making us predictably irrational.

From drinking coffee to losing weight, from buying a car to choosing a romantic partner, Ariely explains how to break through these systematic patterns of thought to make better decisions. Predictably Irrational will change the way we interact with the world...one small decision at a time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:46 -0400)

An evaluation of the sources of illogical decisions explores the reasons why irrational thought often overcomes level-headed practices, offering insight into the structural patterns that cause people to make the same mistakes repeatedly.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,627,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible