Let Him Go

by Larry Watson

20738102,449 (4.11)136
In 1951 North Dakota, years after losing her son in a horse riding accident, Margaret Blackledge seeks to retrieve her grandson from the daughter-in-law who ran off with another man but finds her efforts challenged by her reluctant husband and the boy's stepfamily.
    Plainsong by Kent Haruf (DeltaQueen50)
    DeltaQueen50: Similar styles of writing and viewpoint

“For God’s sake, you don’t get across the river standing on the bank wondering if you can do it. You get wet.”

Right from the get-go, Margaret jumps off the page as a grandmother not to be messed with, not even by her husband George. She is strong and she is determined. And I love the dialogue between her and George! And really, I just enjoyed this story! Love for a grandchild, love for a woman, and the time tested idea of "how far will you go?". And man-o-man, did I hate those Weboys!

“Lifelong? No, ma’am. Just all the life as I’ve lived so far.” ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Feb 22, 2021 |
This novel tells a good story. Margaret and George Blackledge's only son had died in an accident and they are estranged from their only daughter. They have a grandson whose mother has re-married and moved away. They miss their grandchild and have trouble letting him go....so, they travel to his new home to retrieve him, hoping to convince his mother to give up custody. As you might imagine, things don't go exactly as planned.

I liked the story and the writing style, but found the plot a bit forced. I would have preferred a more character-driven story. ( )
  LynnB | Apr 25, 2017 |
good story, well written prose, so far from my reality it was compelling to see what they did next
  asyouth | Feb 9, 2017 |
I do not remember where I first heard of this book or why I added it to my list of books to be read, but whomever that messenger was all I can say is thank you. This book is breathtakingly brilliant. The author has picked up each word and placed it so precisely and perfectly that it reminds me of a typesetter setting type; nothing is said that need not be and everything that needs to be said is expertly conveyed. This book packs a wallop; it hits you in the heart and in the gut. Beautiful, smart prose and character development so fine I felt like I was watching a movie instead of reading a book. At times this story made me gasp out loud. This book is a triumph and is not to be missed. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
A lean, dark and vivid tale. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
What distinguishes “Let Him Go” from Watson’s previous novels is the relentless narrative energy. Without compromising any of his trademark style, Watson manages to tell a story that is riveting in its many twists, one that turns from sweetness to sorrow with an amazing economy.

To Susan
The siren on top of the Dalton, North Dakota, fire station howls, as it does five days a week at this hour.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Larry Watson's book Let Him Go was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,336,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible