Let Him Go by Larry Watson

Let Him Go

by Larry Watson

Plainsong by Kent Haruf (DeltaQueen50)
    DeltaQueen50: Similar styles of writing and viewpoint

This novel tells a good story. Margaret and George Blackledge's only son had died in an accident and they are estranged from their only daughter. They have a grandson whose mother has re-married and moved away. They miss their grandchild and have trouble letting him go....so, they travel to his new home to retrieve him, hoping to convince his mother to give up custody. As you might imagine, things don't go exactly as planned.

I liked the story and the writing style, but found the plot a bit forced. I would have preferred a more character-driven story. ( )
  LynnB | Apr 25, 2017 |
good story, well written prose, so far from my reality it was compelling to see what they did next
  asyouth | Feb 9, 2017 |
I do not remember where I first heard of this book or why I added it to my list of books to be read, but whomever that messenger was all I can say is thank you. This book is breathtakingly brilliant. The author has picked up each word and placed it so precisely and perfectly that it reminds me of a typesetter setting type; nothing is said that need not be and everything that needs to be said is expertly conveyed. This book packs a wallop; it hits you in the heart and in the gut. Beautiful, smart prose and character development so fine I felt like I was watching a movie instead of reading a book. At times this story made me gasp out loud. This book is a triumph and is not to be missed. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
A lean, dark and vivid tale. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
How much of life is that. Right there. Trying not to land wrong. Page 41

George and Margaret Blackledge set off on a journey from North Dakota to retrieve the grandson they lost after the death of their own son. Travelling through the American Midwest, encountering a land both strangely foreign and yet unsettlingly familiar at the same time, both are driven by a love so strong, yet so different from one another, it demands they forge ahead when accepting the loss would have been the sensible and safer choice.

Watson's writing is so simple and serene that it casts a deceptive calm in your reading so that when you encounter the sudden violences in the story, it stands out glaringly in a landscape of peaceful monotony. It is both jarring, unexpected, but a point well made. You know an author is gifted when the character that you can't seem to shake off is the one who rarely appears in the story, barely uttering a single word. The Blackledge's grandson, Jimmy is that such character. A young boy caught between the complicated world of adult affairs, his appearances in the story are short and brief, but unforgettable and gut wrenching. If you are fan of thoughtful characterizations and writing that evokes a strong sense of place and time, Let Me Go is definitely a gem that shouldn't be passed up. Highly recommended. ( )
3 vote jolerie | May 17, 2015 |
What distinguishes “Let Him Go” from Watson’s previous novels is the relentless narrative energy. Without compromising any of his trademark style, Watson manages to tell a story that is riveting in its many twists, one that turns from sweetness to sorrow with an amazing economy.

To Susan
The siren on top of the Dalton, North Dakota, fire station howls, as it does five days a week at this hour.

In 1951 North Dakota, years after losing her son in a horse riding accident, Margaret Blackledge seeks to retrieve her grandson from the daughter-in-law who ran off with another man but finds her efforts challenged by her reluctant husband and the boy's stepfamily.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Larry Watson's book Let Him Go was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,101,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible