The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

The Winner's Curse

by Marie Rutkoski

1,08011911,541 (3.91)27
Recently added byrena75, Slape, zaquira, thefirstdark
    General Winston's Daughter by Sharon Shinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These lush fantasy stories, both set in occupied countries, feature heroines who are torn between loyalty to their homelands and compassion for the conquered people around whom they now live. The novels also include resistance movements, rebellions, and star-crossed romance.… (more)

This. Book. Is. So. Good.
A thinking type heroine is a rare and wonderful find. Kestrel was most definitely one of those heroines. She strategizes, she outmaneuvers everyone around her as best she can, and feelings throw her off her game. It is so nice to have a girl who comes up with brilliant ideas just by thinking logically.
Also, the ending just broke my heart a little. Like, I'm trying to figure out how the heck this will resolve.

My only problem with this book was that the romance seemed kind of... light? It wasn't there, then WHAM! It hit you very strongly. There was so much story (good story, albeit), that there wasn't time to fit a convincing romantic storyline in there for the first half. The second half, however, fixed that, paying a bit more attention to our hero and heroine, and giving reasons and actions for WHY they love each other.

I see people say that this book is too much conversation, not enough action, but for analytical minded people, the conversations are amazing!

Cannot wait to read book 2! ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
4.5 stars, I think.

I don't really get why she bid on him in the first place. She didn't know why either? Not often you kind of buy someone by mistake. ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |
I had a hard time starting this book. I found it to be slow-moving and a little confusing at first. Somewhere around chapter 18 I got hooked. After that, I didn't want to stop reading. I love all the twists and turns. How the author gives exactly what is expected with a little topping of unexpected is great! I cannot wait to read the next book in the trilogy! ( )
  dms12880 | Nov 29, 2018 |
I LOVED this book! The world, the plot, Kestrel, the romance, all of it! I can't wait to see what happens next! ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Oh man. This book, you guys, has all my favorite things. Political intrigue, star-crossed romance, fantastic world building, a fierce and independent female lead, and equally fierce and protective male lead, beautiful writing, and great action. I can't really compare it to anything else I've read, but if you liked Graceling you'll love this. I'll be starting the sequel tonight...TGIF ;-) ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
Again, for Thomas
She shouldn’t have been tempted.

An aristocratic girl who is a member of a warmongering and enslaving empire purchases a slave, an act that sets in motion a rebellion that might overthrow her world as well as her heart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,098,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible