Inheritor by C. J. Cherryh

Inheritor (1996)

by C. J. Cherryh

Series: Foreigner (3)

I waited too long to review this, and now my memories are a bit fuzzy, but I'll do the best I can.

In Inheritor, Bren is once again trying to make do with incomplete information. The book takes place 6 months after the previous one. Bren has been separated from Jase for a bit, and that separation makes their already strained relationship worse. Jase doesn't seem to be handling the culture shock of living among the atevi, living on a planet, and speaking mostly Ragi very well. Bren has his own frustrations and worries – after the events of the previous book, he doesn't dare go back to Mospheira for fear that he'll be arrested or otherwise prevented from leaving. Mospheira's conservative element has become more powerful, and the rift between Bren and his family (and all other humans) continues to grow.

I know that a lot more happened but, again, it's been a while and I'm fuzzy on the details. What it comes down to is that, although I didn't dislike this book, I didn't love it either. This was a bit disappointing, since I'd enjoyed the previous book so much.

I enjoyed getting to see Banichi, Jago, and Ilisidi again, and there were several nice moments that made me smile or laugh. I liked the glimpses of Jase's difficulties adjusting to his new position – not just the work involved in trying to learn a new language, culture, and social expectations, but also adjusting to living on a planet rather than on a station.

That said, I was frustrated with several things. One of them was kind of my fault: I started reading this book too soon after finishing the previous one. I thought it'd be like Invader and start right where the previous book left off. Instead it was 6 months later, and readers were treated to lots and lots of recapping that I didn't particularly want or need.

I was also frustrated with Bren, who expected more from Jase than I thought was fair. In Bren's mind, Jase wasn't just the ship paidhi-in-training, he was also a potential friend (yes, Bren's quest for friendship continues). However, Jase wasn't as open and friendly in person as he'd been in their communications in the previous book, and Bren was disappointed. That disappointment kind of irked me, because Jase didn't owe him friendship. I know, I know, emotions just are, but it was like in Foreigner, when Bren was desperately trying to explain to Banichi how he felt about him and the conversation kept going wrong. This wasn't just one conversation, however, but rather several hundred pages of Bren trying and failing to connect with Jase.

A revelation late in the book added an element to the story that would probably make this a better reread than first read, at least for me, so I'm looking forward to eventually listening to the audiobook version I bought. That one bit of information put a new spin on so many moments and scenes. I loved that, but I also disliked that it took so long for that information to be given. It made the book feel like a very long setup for the next story arc, rather than something meant to be enjoyed on its own.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Oct 30, 2016 |
Ok wrap-up to the trilogy. ( )
  MikeRhode | Jun 17, 2015 |
Book three in Cherryh's Foreigner series. I found this a much faster read than the first two, which was nice. I confess, I had some trouble following all the alien politics, but it held my attention well, anyway, and there were some surprising and interesting plot developments. The ending kind of tied a lot of things up rather too abruptly, but it also leaves some promising directions for future volumes to go in, so I'll be looking forward to those.

Rating: 4/5. I'm not, I admit, entirely sure whether that rating is based more on how much I actually liked it, or how much I decided I was darned well going to like it, having already invested this much time in a very long series that I already own most of. But, hey, it worked for me either way. ( )
  bragan | May 16, 2015 |
Review: Inheritor (Foreigner 3) by C. J. Cherryh
(ISBN 0886776899)

The Atevi have taken to the idea of racing the planet-bound humans in their rush to reach the space station. Bren Cameron, the only human diplomat on Atevi soil, is firmly in the Atevi camp. So much so, in fact, that it's creating trouble for friends and families on the island the Atevi gave the humans -- and to which they are restricted. The cultures do not mix well, and they've already fought one war.

It seems as though the humans may be pushing for another one. The reactionary people have gotten control, none of Bren's family is safe, and he can't reach anyone who will protect them. Even when his mother is in the hospital, he can't go home, much to the dismay of his brother.

Bren doesn't need the extra human emotional baggage. He's having trouble enough with Jason, the man the ship sent to train as the Paidhi between them and the Atevi. Jason is prickly, morose, unused to open spaces, mistrusting -- but he is working hard to learn the Atevi language. That he and Bren don't get along as well as Bren had hoped might, in fact, have more to do with Bren's inability to relate to humans as well as he should.

And then when Jason learns, in a circular way, that his father has died, the relationship been Jason and Bren and Jason and the Atevi take a turn for the worse. With an important Atevi about to visit the apartment, keeping Jason in line is going to be very difficult.

And perhaps a vacation afterwards would be nice. Jason would like to see the sea. The redoubtable Ilisidi agrees to help -- and that is Bren's big mistake. Illisidi, grandmother of the most important person in the world, literally has her own agenda.

It doesn't help that Jason has been lying about a number of things and that Deanna Hanks is trying to encourage a rebellion in the Atevi world -- and that the human government is doing nothing to get her in control.

And it doesn't help Bren that he's feeling more and more drawn to his Atevi guard, Jago.

Nothing is going to work well.

I did feel that this book perhaps started out a little too slowly. I enjoyed the characterization, but there were times when I wanted less talking and more action -- however, by the end of the book there was more than enough going on! ( )
  zette | Feb 8, 2010 |

C. J. Cherryhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abbey, LynnIllustrator (Map)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fancher, JaneIllustrator (Map)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
May, Daniel ThomasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallejo, DorianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elsie
The wind blew from the sea, out of the west, sweeping up to the heights of the balcony and stirring the white tablecloth with a briskness that made the steaming breakfast tea quite welcome.

In this riveting sequel to "Invader" and "Foreigner", six months have passed since the return of a human starship to the skies above the world of the atevi, upsetting the planet's balance of power and putting Bren at the center of a firestorm that could consume both human and atevi.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,404,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible