Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom,…

Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the… (2013)

by Robin Wall Kimmerer

331949,550 (4.56)9
    The Spell of the Sensuous: Perception and Language in a More-Than-Human World by David Abram (SonoranDreamer)
    SonoranDreamer: Both books are about seeing the world in ways we don't usually pay attention to.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and feel bittersweet about reaching the end of it. What I appreciated the most was Dr. Kimmerer's merging of a Western scientific approach with that of an indigenous peoples' perspective. As she noted, we need hands, head and heart in order to heal our relationship with the Earth and the more-than-human world. What particularly struck me was her emphasis on gratitude and reciprocity in dealing with both the planet and our fellow inhabitants. All the gifts we are granted also comes with responsibility. The overall message I got from this book is one I've received from many others I've read. It is this: The world is out of balance and it is the responsibility of us all to work toward addressing that. ( )
1 vote Maratona | Jan 4, 2019 |
This book describes a worldview that brings our major societal issues into focus and describes an ethic that shows interrelationships and could heal them all. ( )
  SheenaSharp | Oct 23, 2018 |
I listened to this as an audiobook from NYPL. Read by author. It’s absolutely amazing. I’m still processing all the moments I really connected with what she was saying. She is an incredible writer. I really, really recommend this book. ( )
  3wheeledlibrarian | Sep 27, 2018 |
See my review of Lab Girl. This is the book you read because someone told you too and you feel obligated. I advise reading it chapter by chapter as individual essays, since that is what they are - the same content (thank your food, don't waste, respect the earth, indigenous people got screwed) repeat in every chapter, so it is actually good if you forget what was in the last chapter before you read the next. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Dec 3, 2017 |
This is an excellent book, not only about plants and indigenous wisdom, but about finding reasons and hope to participate in saving our living planet. ( )
1 vote SonoranDreamer | Nov 2, 2017 |
For all the Keepers of the Fire
/my parents /my daughters /and my grandchildren /yet to join us in this beautiful place
For all the Keepers of the Fire...my parents...my daughters...and my grandchildren yet to join us in this beautiful place
She fell like a maple seed, pirouetting on an autumn breeze.
[Preface] Hold out your hands and let me lay upon them a sheaf of freshly picked sweetgrass, loose and flowing, like newly washed hair.

"An inspired weaving of indigenous knowledge, plant science, and personal narrative from a distinguished professor of science and a Native American whose previous book, Gathering Moss, was awarded the John Burroughs Medal for outstanding nature writing. As a botanist and professor of plant ecology, Robin Wall Kimmerer has spent a career learning how to ask questions of nature using the tools of science. As a Potawatomi woman, she learned from elders, family, and history that the Potawatomi, as well as a majority of other cultures indigenous to this land, consider plants and animals to be our oldest teachers. In Braiding Sweetgrass, Kimmerer brings these two lenses of knowing together to reveal what it means to see humans as "the younger brothers of creation." As she explores these themes she circles toward a central argument: the awakening of a wider ecological consciousness requires the acknowledgement and celebration of our reciprocal relationship with the world. Once we begin to listen for the languages of other beings, we can begin to understand the innumerable life-giving gifts the world provides us and learn to offer our thanks, our care, and our own gifts in return"-- "As a leading researcher in the field of biology, Robin Wall Kimmerer understands the delicate state of our world. But as an active member of the Potawatomi nation, she senses and relates to the world through a way of knowing far older than any science. In Braiding Sweetgrass, she intertwines these two modes of awareness--the analytic and the emotional, the scientific and the cultural--to ultimately reveal a path toward healing the rift that grows between people and nature. The woven essays that construct this book bring people back into conversation with all that is green and growing; a universe that never stopped speaking to us, even when we forgot how to listen"--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,539,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible