The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes

by Amy Thielen

"Thielen applies her professionally honed cooking skills to the classic Midwestern dishes she grew up with in northern Minnesota while also unearthing local gems across the region. In a warm, impassioned voice, she reveals how the Midwest is responsible for much of what we consider our American food heritage. The cuisine is generous, thrifty, intuitive, seasonal, and intimate: "Each cook here is a pioneer of sorts, hitched to a food history of plain talk and salted butter. "Living here tastes pretty good," says Thielen, and by following her sure and steady lead home cooks can fall in love with America's captivating, local flavors"--… (more)

That's a nice cookbook if you're particularly interested in Midwestern cooking, but I prefer the newly released Heartlandia over it. I really craved the Corn Fritters with Green Chile Buttermilk Dip, though! And I'm curious to try the poppy seed streusel bar. It reminded me of those poppy seed pastries they make in eastern europe. ( )
  womanwoanswers | Dec 23, 2022 |
This book is just gorgeous and amazing. I made two recipes from her that were on her television program, the chicken and wild rice hot dish and the old-fashioned, not-from-a-packet onion dip. They were both astonishingly good and the hotdish has become a regular fixture of dinner. This cookbook takes items like that and expands on it. The photography is beautiful, the stories introducing the dishes are well-written and interesting and there is a wonderful variety of old-world food, like pate and salted fish and deviled eggs. Thielen is absolutely right: the Midwest IS rising.
  kristinides | Nov 22, 2013 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,872,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible