Redeployment by Phil Klay

Redeployment (2014)

by Phil Klay

English (54)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (56)
Fin de mission est hilarant, mordant et triste. C'est ce qu'on a écrit de meilleur à ce jour sur ce que la guerre fait à l'âme humaine.
  ACParakou | May 31, 2018 |
It's not really fair to judge an author's work by saying you would prefer that he'd chosen a different project. But I do wish Klay had written a memoir rather than a collection of short stories. I found the setting too distracting; I kept wondering how much had really happened, and how much was artistic license. That's not fair, but it kept me from ever becoming fully immersed in a single story. I wanted to love this book, and I love the idea of this book, but it just never quite clicked for me. (Klay's writing, however, is uniformly strong.) ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Collection of short stories told from the soldiers' point of view. From boredom & frustration, to stark loss and gritty combat, through redeployments & back on home turf. A very intense group of stories that read as gripping first hand accounts covering all facets of the experience of serving. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
A collection of stories centered around Marines serving or who have served in the Iraq War.
This is a powerful collection, well and thoughtfully written. They're not easy stories to read, but I do feel that this is an important collection and one that should be read. And it really is very well done - the characters and their stories seem lovingly crafted and genuine. Definitely recommended. ( )
  electrascaife | Dec 18, 2017 |
I read a lot of military fiction and non-fiction so when I saw this book, I had to check it out. It was pretty good. A few of the stories will stay with me. Some of the stories made me wonder what would have happened if they were longer. Our servicemen and women go through so much and I'm grateful for their service. ( )
  Jewel.Barnett | Sep 6, 2017 |
For my mother and father,

who had three sons join the military

in a time of war
We shot dogs.

"Phil Klay's Redeployment takes readers to the frontlines of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, asking us to understand what happened there, and what happened to the soldiers who returned. Interwoven with themes of brutality and faith, guilt and fear, helplessness and survival, the characters in these stories struggle to make meaning out of chaos. In "Redeployment", a soldier who has had to shoot dogs because they were eating human corpses must learn what it is like to return to domestic life in suburbia, surrounded by people "who have no idea where Fallujah is, where three members of your platoon died." In "After Action Report", a Lance Corporal seeks expiation for a killing he didn't commit, in order that his best friend will be unburdened. A Morturary Affairs Marine tells about his experiences collecting remains-of U.S. and Iraqi soldiers both. A chaplain sees his understanding of Christianity, and his ability to provide solace through religion, tested by the actions of a ferocious Colonel. And in the darkly comic "Money as a Weapons System", a young Foreign Service Officer is given the absurd task of helping Iraqis improve their lives by teaching them to play baseball. These stories reveal the intricate combination of monotony, bureaucracy, comradeship and violence that make up a soldier's daily life at war, and the isolation, remorse, and despair that can accompany a soldier's homecoming. Redeployment is poised to become a classic in the tradition of war writing. Across nations and continents, Klay sets in devastating relief the two worlds a soldier inhabits: one of extremes and one of loss. Written with a hard-eyed realism and stunning emotional depth, this work marks Phil Klay as one of the most talented new voices of his generation"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,066,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible