Authority by Jeff VanderMeer

Authority

by Jeff VanderMeer

Series: The Southern Reach Trilogy (2)

1,440927,938 (3.61)1 / 92
    Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer (sturlington)
    Solaris by Stanisław Lem (Tuirgin)
    Tuirgin: Despite the concept of Area X being strikingly similar to the Strugatsky's Roadside Picnic, there are also echos of Stanisław Lem's Solaris—the idea of a type of communication so alien to human modes of communication that it can be harmful to us.

Still creepy, even as most of this takes place outside of Area X at the headquarters of the Southern reach organization. This is a densely packed collection of nightmares and hypnotic suggestions as the central character identifies himself as 'Control' even as he clearly demonstrates that he has little.

This is a great middle section ramping up the stakes from the first and making me both nervous and excited about the third. I cannot read the phrase, "I am not the biologist," without all the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end. ( )
3 vote asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
I only gave the first volume, Annihilation, two stars because I felt the characters and writing were flat and affectless. Even if this was an intentional technique to heighten the overall sense of menace, it didn't work for me. And yet, here it is a year or two later, and suddenly I have a craving to move ahead with the story. I connected better with this volume, since I could follow events through one character who kept my interest by keeping my understanding of him off balance. I read the last 50 or so pages in a very sleep-deprived state that made its weirdness even weirder. I'm sure I'll be reading the final volume in another year or two, although I have a feeling I may not ever really know what the hell is going on in the Southern Reach! ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
It was as if a different person put the key in the ignition and drove away from everything that was familiar.

Well, shit. It is another Sunday and my sinus issues haven't been resolved, neither have my questions concerning the first volume of this inspired arc. The problem is, I'm afraid, I'm not sure any answers would suffice at this point. Authority is readily described by critics and fans as a spy novel. My experience in the genre may be limited, but this isn't cloak-and-dagger. Authority is more of a procedural, much like Edward G. Robinson's character in Double Indemnity sifting through the receipts, piecing together possible scenarios. Introduce the paranoia of the first installment and the resulting admixture becomes, well, taxing. It isn't the structure of the work which challenges, nor is it a display of imaginative wordplay. It is an opaque events being experienced by blunted characters. I did not care. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Moving this to abandoned. I just can't work up the desire to pick this up again. My book club has already discussed it, so the "deadline" has come and gone. I thought the first book was great, and this one is "interesting" inasmuch as it is connected to that, but on its own, it just feels like it is spinning its wheels. Nothing really happens. I was actually happy to leave the story at the end of Annihilation, which was satisfying even though it didn't answer any questions. Which is I guess what I will essentially do, unless the third book gets chosen...
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
Authority is the second novel in The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer.

Plot:
John Rodriguez, who likes to be called Control, has recently taken over the Southern Reach agency. It’s a disorienting agency and Control has trouble getting his bearings. People seem to keep things from him. His handler, called The Voice, isn’t happy with him and his progress. His assistant Grace might be plotting against him. And anyway, what is the deal with Area X in the first place?

Authority gives us an entirely different perspective on Area X than Annihilation did and I loved it in all its fucked-up weirdness.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2018/05/21/authority-jeff-vandermeer/ ( )
  kalafudra | Feb 6, 2019 |

Jeff VanderMeerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blomeyer, MarionCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellner, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyquist, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strick, CharlotteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ann
In Control's dreams it is early morning, the sky deep blue with just a twinge of light.

In the second volume of the Southern Reach Trilogy, questions are answered, stakes are raised, and mysteries are deepened . . .

In Annihilation, Jeff VanderMeer introduced Area X—a remote and lush terrain mysteriously sequestered from civilization. This was the first volume of a projected trilogy; well in advance of publication, translation rights had already sold around the world and a major movie deal had been struck.
     Just months later, Authority, the second volume, is here. For thirty years, the only human engagement with Area X has taken the form of a series of expeditions monitored by a secret agency called the Southern Reach. After the disastrous twelfth expedition chronicled in Annihilation, the Southern Reach is in disarray, and John Rodriguez, aka “Control,” is the team’s newly appointed head. From a series of interrogations, a cache of hidden notes, and hours of profoundly troubling video footage, the secrets of Area X begin to reveal themselves—and what they expose pushes Control to confront disturbing truths about both himself and the agency he’s promised to serve. And the consequences will spread much further than that.
     The Southern Reach trilogy will conclude in fall 2014 with Acceptance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:49 -0400)

"In the second volume of the Southern Reach Trilogy, questions are answered, stakes are raised, and mysteries are deepened. In Annihilation, Jeff VanderMeer introduced Area X--a remote and lush terrain mysteriously sequestered from civilization. This was the first volume of a projected trilogy; well in advance of publication, translation rights had already sold around the world and a major movie deal had been struck. Just months later, Authority, the second volume, is here. For thirty years, the only human engagement with Area X has taken the form of a series of expeditions monitored by a secret agency called the Southern Reach. After the disastrous twelfth expedition chronicled in Annihilation, the Southern Reach is in disarray, and John Rodriguez, aka "Control," is the team's newly appointed head. From a series of interrogations, a cache of hidden notes, and hours of profoundly troubling video footage, the secrets of Area X begin to reveal themselves--and what they expose pushes Control to confront disturbing truths about both himself and the agency he's promised to serve. And the consequences will spread much further than that. The Southern Reach trilogy will conclude in fall 2014 with Acceptance"-- "In the second volume of the Southern Reach trilogy, Area X's most troubling questions are answered... but the answers are far from reassuring"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,384,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible