Authority by Jeff VanderMeer

Authority

by Jeff VanderMeer

Series: The Southern Reach Trilogy (2)

1,296808,797 (3.63)1 / 91
    Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer (sturlington)
    Solaris by Stanisław Lem (Tuirgin)
    Tuirgin: Despite the concept of Area X being strikingly similar to the Strugatsky's Roadside Picnic, there are also echos of Stanisław Lem's Solaris—the idea of a type of communication so alien to human modes of communication that it can be harmful to us.

A new director has been appointed to the Southern Reach to get to grips with the current state of the investigation into Area X but faces resistance to his appointment by the former director's assistant and second in charge. There's also the debriefing of the returning members of the last expedition to conduct also so Control, as he likes to be called, has his hands full. Getting straight answers from the staff that still remain at the outpost is challenging at best and Control doesn't know whether that's the characters themselves or if being at the Southern Reach has infected everyone with an obfuscation disease. There also seem to be factions back at headquarters and this makes Control wonder just how much control he actually has.

This follow-up to Annihilation sets quite a different tone to its predecessor. While that is not necessarily a bad thing, I didn't enjoy the direction this one took quite as much. More focus on the bureaucracy element of the organisation investigating the phenomenon behind Area X than what it actually is. As I predicted after completing the first volume in the trilogy I wasn’t expecting too much in the way of answers to the mysteries of Area X and I was correct in that summation. I’m not entirely sure all the answers will be forthcoming in the next one either but I’m willing to venture forth in hope of at least some. Especially as I quite liked the ending to this one, even if it did finish with a bit of a cliff-hanger. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Aug 22, 2018 |
For the first half of the book, my major problem was that every time I read more than a few pages, I tended to fall asleep. It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't keeping me awake. Taking the eerie tone and looming sense of dread from the first volume and applying them to a workplace environment just didn't work for me. After snoozing through the book for several days, I slapped myself a few times and powered through the second half in a day. Fortunately, I was rewarded for my efforts with a build-up in the momentum of the book that lifted me past the early doldrums to a satisfactory conclusion that leaves me wanting to read the concluding volume soon. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
Authority is the second book in the Southern Reach trilogy. I’m still enjoying the series quite a bit.

This book is different from the first one, both in the way the story is told and in what it focuses on. The first book is pretty much all questions with no answers, and with no hints that you can really trust. This book didn’t provide many answers either, but the facts and hints it did provide felt more tangible, so I felt more like I had some basis for speculation about what was going on, and I was able to figure some things out before they were revealed.

I liked the difference in focus and perspective. As much as I enjoyed the first book, I might have gotten bored if it had been too much more of the same. There were a few sections here and there where I lost interest and had to push through, but it picked up again pretty fast. I look forward to seeing how things finish up in the last book. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Jul 4, 2018 |
Although this book is not as atmospheric as Annihilation it is still worth a read. It is quite a change of pace, setting and characters but adds another dimension to what we've found out in the first book. Not to the extent of actually explaining anything fully, but enough to keep you interested. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Jun 26, 2018 |
[b: Authority|22030734|Authority|R.K. Lilley|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1398992390s/22030734.jpg|41350852] was a worthy follow-up to [b: Annihilation|17934530|Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)|Jeff VanderMeer|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1403941587s/17934530.jpg|24946895], something I wasn't entirely certain could be done.

Whereas [b: Annihilation|17934530|Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)|Jeff VanderMeer|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1403941587s/17934530.jpg|24946895] brought us deep into Area X and the topographical anomaly that the twelfth expedition discovered there, [b: Authority|22030734|Authority|R.K. Lilley|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1398992390s/22030734.jpg|41350852] brings us into the inner workings of Southern Reach, and just how difficult it is to manage a team studying what is essentially resistant to study. Area X, whatever it might be, doesn't seem to wish to reveal all the scientists wish to know about it. What does one do in that situation? How does one describe what is essentially, by its very nature, indescribable?

[a: Jeff VanderMeer|33919|Jeff VanderMeer|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1400594878p2/33919.jpg] has created an interesting puzzle, and one that the longer you spend looking at it the more it changes and spirals upward towards your own mind. Like the best hermeneutics, the Southern Reach trilogy goes beyond what our language is capable of encompassing. It exists in some strange liminal state beyond it all. I'm grateful these books encompass just a sliver of the ideas possible to touch when discussing the implications of such a notion. The philosophy is deep, the writing taut, and the horror as sharp as a knife-point.

Why not dive on in? ( )

Kellner, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyquist, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strick, CharlotteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ann
In Control's dreams it is early morning, the sky deep blue with just a twinge of light.

In the second volume of the Southern Reach Trilogy, questions are answered, stakes are raised, and mysteries are deepened . . .

In Annihilation, Jeff VanderMeer introduced Area X—a remote and lush terrain mysteriously sequestered from civilization. This was the first volume of a projected trilogy; well in advance of publication, translation rights had already sold around the world and a major movie deal had been struck.
     Just months later, Authority, the second volume, is here. For thirty years, the only human engagement with Area X has taken the form of a series of expeditions monitored by a secret agency called the Southern Reach. After the disastrous twelfth expedition chronicled in Annihilation, the Southern Reach is in disarray, and John Rodriguez, aka “Control,” is the team’s newly appointed head. From a series of interrogations, a cache of hidden notes, and hours of profoundly troubling video footage, the secrets of Area X begin to reveal themselves—and what they expose pushes Control to confront disturbing truths about both himself and the agency he’s promised to serve. And the consequences will spread much further than that.
     The Southern Reach trilogy will conclude in fall 2014 with Acceptance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:49 -0400)

"In the second volume of the Southern Reach Trilogy, questions are answered, stakes are raised, and mysteries are deepened. In Annihilation, Jeff VanderMeer introduced Area X--a remote and lush terrain mysteriously sequestered from civilization. This was the first volume of a projected trilogy; well in advance of publication, translation rights had already sold around the world and a major movie deal had been struck. Just months later, Authority, the second volume, is here. For thirty years, the only human engagement with Area X has taken the form of a series of expeditions monitored by a secret agency called the Southern Reach. After the disastrous twelfth expedition chronicled in Annihilation, the Southern Reach is in disarray, and John Rodriguez, aka "Control," is the team's newly appointed head. From a series of interrogations, a cache of hidden notes, and hours of profoundly troubling video footage, the secrets of Area X begin to reveal themselves--and what they expose pushes Control to confront disturbing truths about both himself and the agency he's promised to serve. And the consequences will spread much further than that. The Southern Reach trilogy will conclude in fall 2014 with Acceptance"-- "In the second volume of the Southern Reach trilogy, Area X's most troubling questions are answered... but the answers are far from reassuring"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,827,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible