Above the Waterfall: A Novel by Ron Rash

Above the Waterfall: A Novel (2015)

by Ron Rash

Enduring the mistakes and tragedies that have shaped their lives in contemporary Appalachia, a sheriff on the brink of retirement and a haunted park ranger confront violent forces when an elderly local is accused of poisoning a trout stream.

Les is a long-time sheriff in a small Appalachia town and he has a close albeit a bit problematical relationship with Becky a park ranger since both are damage people with sad memories and that makes them a bit restrained and not eager to jump into a new relationship. Les only has 3 more weeks to work when a Gerard an elderly man is accused of poison the trout stream out of revenge because the resort that owns the land doesn't want him trespassing on the land because he is scaring the guests. Becky is convinced that Gerard is innocent and Les isn't so sure either that Gerald is the one behind the deed. And, there are some people that would benefit from Gerald convicted and off his land...

I'm a big fan of Craig Johnson's Longmire series and when I saw this book about a sheriff in an Appalachia town, well I jump at the chance to read it. In several ways, it did remind me of the Longmire books. We have an old sheriff in small town and also the day shift dispatcher is called Ruby and we even have a character called Martha in the book. So now and then I got some Longmire vibes. What the book lacked was a Vic character. But I liked Becky, she is a park ranger with a sad past, she survived a school shooting as a kid and the memories of that are something she is carrying with her all the time. Les and Becky have a close bond and it shows in the book.

The story in the book, the case with Gerald is my biggest problem because I felt right away that he is probably innocent and if it is so then somebody else must be the culprit and there weren't many suspects to choose from. So even though I enjoyed the book I also felt that it would have been so much more interesting to read if the story had been more elaborated. A twist or two to the story would have been great. Now it was just an acceptable reading, not an engrossing one. And, that is too bad because I really liked both Les and Becky.

I received this copy from Ecco through Edelweiss in return for an honest review! Thank you! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Well. This was readable but not up to the hype which other writers give Ron. Perhaps they were too rash. ( )
  adrianburke | Aug 5, 2018 |
Considered a major figure in Southern Gothic literature, Ron Rash stuns in his dark, thematic novel about a brutal mystery in a small Appalachian town.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jan 30, 2018 |
Ron Rash has always been one of my favorite writers.....no.2 after Kent Haruf and I would rate his books high no matter what, but this book just wasn't up to his usual great writing. . The book jumped from one subject and one person to another and at the beginning of every chapter you had to stop and figure out which character it was. I liked the book but just not as good as Serena or Saints at the River. Still great writing and would recommend it highly. ( )
  txwildflower | Jul 28, 2017 |
It’s difficult to describe how thoughtful, subtle, intricate and compelling this story is. All the characters have their problems and past wounds that contribute to their actions. I won’t summarize, but nature clashes with the messy reality of greed, drug abuse and poor choices. Despite that, Rash writes of a chance for redemption for those that seek it. ( )
  Hagelstein | Jun 18, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,926,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible