The Peripheral by William Gibson

The Peripheral

by William Gibson

Recently added byJackRegehr, Bestieboy666, bennt, private library, Necronian, johnhh, thindor, cjbanning, huntingsnarks
    Walkaway: A Novel by Cory Doctorow (melmore)
    melmore: Both works extrapolate from our current situation to imagine not-dissimilar futures. Both are concerned with questions of wealth distribution, resource depletion, human agency, equality, freedom. Both have super bad-ass female protagonists (who are nonetheless recognizable human beings).… (more)

English (44)  French (1)  All languages (45)
I’m kind of on the fence about this one? I liked it enough to finish it, but wow did it take a long time to get going. The setup at the beginning of the book is very, very, very slow. And I must have missed some stuff, because some things at the end still don’t make sense, but I honestly don’t care enough to try and find out.

There was a lot of neat technology stuff, though. That was cool. And the way time travel (ish?) worked was neat.
  bluesalamanders | Dec 31, 2018 |
2014 science fiction, mystery-thriller set in multiple futures is a good read and features a strong female protagonist and her brother, Burton. This book is set in two futures. The first is not very far off from our present day and takes place in a world where the only industries still surviving are lightly evolved versions of Walmart called Hefty Marts and the meth trade. The second future is set further into the future after a semi cataclysmic event that killed off most of the world’s population, leaving a world populated by gangsters, performance artists and publicists in London. It’s a bit of noir murder mystery and cyberpunk and a bit too entirely possible to be anything but an unsettling, however enjoyable read.
  Kristelh | Aug 1, 2018 |
Wm. Gibson is one of my all time favorite authors. What I love most about his books is the characters and this book is no exception. The POV characters especially, but the secondary characters were also wonderful.

The premise of this book was great. I love the idea of the near future being curiously viewed by the slightly further future. The science-fictiony aspect, future technologies, etc. were also very excellent. I am disappointed though that everyone seemed so excited about twist at the end of this book, (MILD SPOILERS) which wasn't so much of a twist to me as it was the only obvious outcome of what led up to it. It was a little too easy, almost forced on the happily-ever-after. But overall it was such an enjoyable book that the average ending doesn't detract much from it at all. ( )
  AjaxBell | Aug 24, 2017 |
I love William Gibson. I love all of his work in every medium i have known about it. This was a great version. ( )
  andrewlorien | Aug 5, 2017 |
Inspired to read this by this review by Henry at Crooked timber.
However, despite as always getting a lot of praise from knowledgeable people, yet again I found a Gibson book too complicated and hard to get into and follow to enjoy. I did not get too much out of it, but if you usually do, you will probably like this one too. ( )
  ohernaes | Apr 29, 2017 |
"The Gibson of The Peripheral is interested in ideas but he’s also very much interested in big-screen, popcorn-chewing thrills. Unlike more po-faced SF writers, he takes glee in kick-assery of an adolescent sort."
added by bookfitz | editThe Guardian, Sam Leith (Nov 19, 2014)

"The Peripheral" is engaged with serious ideas — the moral pressure of life in late capitalist society, the state of identity in a world of mingled gamer-selves, online-selves, physical-selves — and through them it achieves the strange effect of making our own accelerated days feel quaint, at least partially analog for a bit longer, "oddly optimistic," still yet to endure anything truly apocalyptic.

"What sets each book apart is the worldbuilding that surrounds that plot kernel. This time around, it’s particularly intriguing."
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (Oct 15, 2014)

"All of Gibson’s characters are intensely real, and Flynne is a clever, compelling, stereotype-defying, unhesitating protagonist who makes this novel a standout."
added by bookfitz | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 1, 2014)

William Gibsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Achilles, GretchenDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hasselberger, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have already told you of the sickness and confusion that comes with time travelling.

--H. G. Wells
To Shannie
They didn't think Flynne's brother had PTSD, but that sometimes the haptics glitched him.
“Why aren’t you up in the future,” Flynne asked him, “flying your washing machine?”

William Gibson returns with his first novel since 2010’s New York Times–bestselling Zero History.

Where Flynne and her brother, Burton, live, jobs outside the drug business are rare. Fortunately, Burton has his veteran’s benefits, for neural damage he suffered from implants during his time in the USMC’s elite Haptic Recon force. Then one night Burton has to go out, but there’s a job he’s supposed to do—a job Flynne didn’t know he had. Beta-testing part of a new game, he tells her. The job seems to be simple: work a perimeter around the image of a tower building. Little buglike things turn up. He’s supposed to get in their way, edge them back. That’s all there is to it. He’s offering Flynne a good price to take over for him. What she sees, though, isn’t what Burton told her to expect. It might be a game, but it might also be murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:46 -0400)

Depending on her veteran brother's benefits in a city where jobs outside the drug trade are rare, Flynne assists her brother's latest beta-test tech assignment only to uncover an elaborate murder scheme. "William Gibson returns with his first novel since 2010's New York Times-bestselling Zero History. Where Flynne and her brother, Burton, live, jobs outside the drug business are rare. Fortunately, Burton has his veteran's benefits, for neural damage he suffered from implants during his time in the USMC's elite Haptic Recon force. Then one night Burton has to go out, but there's a job he's supposed to do-a job Flynne didn't know he had. Beta-testing part of a new game, he tells her. The job seems to be simple: work a perimeter around the image of a tower building. Little buglike things turn up. He's supposed to get in their way, edge them back. That's all there is to it. He's offering Flynne a good price to take over for him. What she sees, though, isn't what Burton told her to expect. It might be a game, but it might also be murder"-- "New novel from New York Times bestselling author William Gibson"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,598,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible