dismiss

Joy of Cooking (1931)

by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker (Author)

Other authors: Ginnie Hoffmann (Illustrator), Beverly Warner (Illustrator)

Series: Joy of Cooking (1951-1974)

This lay-flat paperback format of the 1997 edition is truly an indispensable and beloved reference and recipe source for home cooks concerned about freshness, nutrition, and taste.

The most essential, all-encompassing cookbook you will ever own, the Joy of Cooking should be on the shelf of any respectable kitchen. ( )
  smichaelwilson | May 23, 2017 |
Whether you're wondering what to do with that pheasant your brother-in-law shot or how to cook a perfect coddled egg, every home cook needs a reliable reference cookbook to turn to for solid information, advice on technique, and great recipes. We've collected our favorite kitchen bibles of all time, including the latest edition of Joy of Cooking, useful not just for the beginning cook but for old kitchen hands as well. ( )
  Tutter | Feb 17, 2015 |
Everything I know about cooking food, I learned from this book. ( )
  aulsmith | Apr 20, 2014 |
This wondrous marvel, from 1953, contains more wisdom and useful information than exists in any two or three other books you might name. I have a later copy, and although it has different information, also useful, it's sadly lacking in some of the items that are in this volume. If you have the opportunity to get the older editions, I recommend that you do so. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Dec 28, 2013 |
This was a staple of my mother's kitchen when I was growing up. It sits on a shelf in my childhood home. Still. It is grease stained, dog-eared and a little worse for wear (I think I took a crayon to it when I was two) and yet my mother would never dream of getting rid of it or updating it for a newer edition. Her reason? This is the ultimate cookbook for every occasion, every season and every reason. With Rombauer and Becker you can't go wrong. On ever page there is a wealth of information from entertaining to grilling. From setting the table to eating lobster. Soup to nuts as they would say. Even though the methods are a little dated and the illustrations are a little cheesy it's a classic. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jan 25, 2013 |

Irma S. Rombauerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Becker, Marion RombauerAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoffmann, GinnieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Warner, BeverlyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Joy of Cooking (1951-1974)
These appear to be the cookbooks published/printed 1951 thru 1974 including the 1951 and 1964 editions, published up to and including 1974, only the later years with ISBNs. ( some copies however may belong to earlier or later editions but cannot be separated out as they are hidden within small clumps of books automatically combined by LT in the past).

Dates of the various Joy versions are easy to determine by the fabric of the cover. The blue and white plaid cover is present on all pre-1951 Joys. Irma is the sole author. The next version is the blue cover with the verticlal white stripes interspersed with the Joy logo. That is the 1951 version, with Irma's daughter as co-author. The solid greenish-blue covers arrived on the scene in the 60s.
Includes one copy from the Earnest Hemingway Legacy Library with no publication data available, but must be pre 1961, the date of the library list. {combined with 1951- group}

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,010,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible