Death Comes as the End by Agatha Christie

Death Comes as the End (1944)

by Agatha Christie

It is Egypt in 2000 BC, where death gives meaning to life. At the foot of a cliff lies the broken, twisted body of Nofret, concubine to a ka-priest. Young, beautiful and venomous, most agree that it was fate - she deserved to die like a snake! But at her father's house on the banks of the Nile, the priest's daughter Renisenb believes that the woman's death was suspicious. Increasingly, she becomes convinced that the source of evil lurks within their household - and watches helplessly as the family's passions explode in murder...… (more)

English (34)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (39)
La nostra cara Agatha ci porta, in questo romanzo, nell'antico Egitto tra le dinastie di Sacerdoti in Tebe. La giovane Renisenb, in seguito alla morte del marito, torna per cercare conforto nella grande casa del padre Imhotep. Ma non è conforto quello che troverà, bensì una serie di nefasti eventi dettati da potere, prevaricazione, gelosie e rancori. Riuscirà a scoprire se dietro a tutto questo ci sono gli spiriti dei defunti o la malvagità dei vivi?
Il romanzo, un po' diverso dai classici a cui siamo abituati, non ha nessun Poirot o Miss Marple ma è comunque un giallo con uno sfondo particolare e inedito. Nello scrivere questo romanzo un grande aiuto la Christie l’ha avuto dal marito archeologo e dai viaggi che hanno intrapreso insieme. Sembra anche che il marito le abbia bocciato un finale “obbligandola” a riscriverlo :) Nessuno sa quale fosse questo finale, ci teniamo quello del libro che comunque non è male :)
  Feseven78 | Apr 17, 2019 |
My favorite Agatha Chrsitie. The setting makes a nice change. ( )
  AndyGE | Feb 18, 2019 |
In which the members of an Ancient Egyptian household begin to die…

"Death Comes as the End" is one of my favourites, but as I begin to ask myself why, I have to admit to the book’s failings as well. The book was one of my favourites when I was young – with its focus on Ancient Egypt (a favourite era of both myself and Dame Agatha), how could I not love it? It was a daring challenge that Christie set herself, to tackle a mystery so far outside of her own time, and it’s a bit sad that she never tried something like it again.

The family of Imhotep is large, leading to a sizable suspect base. On the other hand, they die off quicker than even a seasoned Christie fan will believe! Christie renders this land believable, and has great fun utilising motives, beliefs and characterisations that simply wouldn’t be legitimate in a drawing room in St. Mary Mead.

Some reviews have claimed that this is basically a drawing room mystery, and that the characters have effectively been transported straight out of 1930s London. While I don’t entirely agree, I can understand these claims: the internecine arguments amongst the family do remind you of a contemporary Christie work, as the author chooses to focus on household and quotidian routines rather than politics or the larger culture of the age. Personally, the mystery fascinates me, with its two-faced characters and noble heroine, amidst the ravishing setting of Egypt at its height.

At the end of the day, "Death Comes" as the End is either my Christie guilty pleasure, or a quality novel which allowed Christie to challenge herself, while also leaving her free to write characters with motives and reasonings that could ignore the usual moral codes her characters had to operate within. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
This is different than other Christie books I've read. The story takes place a bout 4000 years ago in Egypt. A young woman returns home after her husband dies and family members start to die after her father brings home a beautiful concubine. She worries about being next and who to trust. The young concubine, Nofret, had convinced Imhotep that she was being treated badly and he planned to disinherit his family in her favor when she dies. More deaths and attempts follow. This was an ok mystery;
  taurus27 | Feb 21, 2018 |
As Christie herself says in the introduciton, the setting of this in Ancient Egypt is largely immaterial, it is a story that could be told in any time and age. A man has 3 sons and a daughter. The sons want to be allowed to take responsibility, but the father doesn't allow them to, believing that only he can do anything right. one is too cautious, one too bold, one too young. Things are bubbling away under the surface and all it will take is a match to set the powder keg off. In this case, the man arriving home with a new concubine.
From there, events unfold at an alarming rate. There are any number of people who could have committed the crime, but which of them did? It takes a while to get to the bottom of it.
The setting makes this somewhat different from the usual Christie story. It is also unusual in not having a detective as such. There are people trying to fathom out what is happening, but they don't function in the manner of a Poirot or similar.
Good but not brilliant. ( )
  Helenliz | Oct 7, 2017 |

Toklum, LeifTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wendbladh, Britte-MarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO PROFESSOR S. R. K. GLANVILLE

Dear Stephen,

It was you who originally suggested to me the idea of a detective story set in Ancient Egypt, and but for your active help and encouragement this book would never have been written.

I want to say here how much I have enjoyed all the interesting literature you have lent me and to thank you once more for the patience with which you have answered my questions and for the time and trouble you have expended. The pleasure and interest which the writing of the book have brought to me you already know.

Your affectionate and grateful friend,

Agatha Christie
Renisenb stood looking out over the Nile.

Nofret was beautiful, ambitious, cruel, intelligent ...

The master had brought her from the North. And everyone - or almost everyone - hated her and persecuted her. When the master discovered his family's disloyalty, he disinherited his sons, their wives, and their children - and announced his intention to marry Nofret.
But before the wedding day, Nofret was dead...
Murder mystery
set in 2000 BC
in ancient Egypt.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,820,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible