Dataclysm: Who We Are* *When We Think No One's Looking

by Christian Rudder

An irreverent, provocative, and visually fascinating look at what our online lives reveal about who we really are--and how this deluge of data will transform the science of human behavior. Big Data is used to spy on us, hire and fire us, and sell us things we don't need. In Dataclysm, Christian Rudder puts this flood of information to an entirely different use: understanding human nature. Drawing on terabytes of data from Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, OkCupid, and many other sites, Rudder examines the terrain of human experience. He charts the rise and fall of America's most reviled word through Google Search, examines the new dynamics of collaborative rage on Twitter, and traces human migration over time, showing how groups of people move from certain small towns to the same big cities across the globe. And he grapples with the challenge of maintaining privacy in a world where these explorations are possible. Audacious, entertaining, and illuminating, Dataclysm is a portrait of our essential selves--and a first look at a revolution in the making. --… (more)

Fascinating insights into the world of real world data

The author by no ,Evans limits himself to data sets from OKCupid. Rather he draws from a rich pool with sources from Google, Facebook etc. Well worth reading. ( )
  Aetherson | Apr 26, 2021 |
Great relevant read. After Signal and the Noise, this book has some more to say about big data but in a smaller realm.. mainly with respect to online data and human psyche. Provides ample food for thought given our current invasive data climate. Lots of "did you know" tidbits. ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
Liked it enough to recommend it to an ex-flame and my brother, both of whom have very discerning tastes. Found it at Elliott Bay Book Co in Seattle: yay indies! ( )
  charlyk | Nov 15, 2019 |
Very fascinating read on how Big Data tells us more about human behavior and trends and how this information is compiled and used. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 1, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. I love the data he pulled together to show interesting things about how humans interact while online. While you don't need a background in statistics I will say that my having one made this book a lot deeper. I found myself asking questions about his data and what it was really telling us. Which the author also did on a number of occasions. A great read if you like data and what it tells us. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Christian Rudder's book Dataclysm was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,289,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible