The Last Chronicle of Barset by Anthony…

The Last Chronicle of Barset (1867)

by Anthony Trollope

Series: The Barsetshire Chronicles (6)

1,399368,247 (4.3)5 / 305

I thought this would be a great book to have with me on the plane for a couple of trips, but I ended up reading it only in spurts for two weeks and then racing through the last 600 pages in one day. It's a pretty wonderful end to the Chronicles closing with the last days of the Warden, Septimus Harding. The proto-mystery wraps itself up pretty instantaneously after being dragged out for 700-odd pages, but I didn't mind. I am sure there will be some people who believe Lily Dale to be perfectly marvelous, but I found her mostly unbearable, not because she should have taken up with the young man who wooed her, but because she is so pleased with herself and her abnegation. In fact, when they make the Broadway musical of this book it will just be called "Abnegation!".

I have loved the entire series, although I did prefer them when they were under 400 pages. Next up the Palliser novels. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
The Last Chronicle of Barset is a novel about Privilege, and how when you have Privilege you suffer more than common people, whose lives being always terrible, are used to it and don't feel pain. Trollope goes to great lengths to prove to the reader that starving in a hovel doesn't compare to the exquisite pain of not having a new pair of evening gloves. Trollope may have an upswing in popularity in the next four years.

Josiah Crawley had first made an appearance in Framley Parsonage as a poverty-stricken curate of a poor district, far away from the usual comforts enjoyed by the clergy in these novels. Crawley's situation has improved in some ways, since a few of his children have died, but shame is about to come down on his head. He would almost rather the family be put out onto the streets than take assistance from concerned friends.

Crawley's final shame comes about at the start of the novel when a tradesmen, a butcher, pressures Rev. Crawley to pay a bill and so he pays with a banknote that...it appears he's stolen! He cannot account for how it came into his possession. It is the talk of the county and, unfortunately, is spoiling his daughter's chances of marriage with a son of the Archdeacon.

Jane Crawley is too noble by half to let herself marry the man she loves and drag the Grantly's into shame, but like so many other Trollope heroines, she is suspected of the lowest motives and never given information she has every right to possess until the last minute. Her story is a decent one, but the heart of the novel is in the slow fading of Septimus Harding, the former Warden, and Lily Dale, whose continued refusal to ever marry at the end The Small House is tested. She is thrown up against all the former heroines of Barchester, each one, yes, even Miss Dunstable, washed of personality by marriage.

This novel was not as rewarding as others by Trollope, but it at least tied up any loose ends and it did justice to more characters than not. The majority of the authors attention was already turning to the politics of london rather than the clerical gentry that were the heart of the Barchester stories.

Previous: The Small House at Allington ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
slow moving but therefore easy to remember.
minister charged with cashing check.
his daughter's engagement therefore in trouble.
lily 's former boyfriend who dumped her wants her back. another guy wants her too. ( )
  mahallett | May 6, 2017 |
My first Trollope and what a one to start with! An exquisitely constructed Victorian world inhabited by vivid characters and a strong plot to carry them along with.

Trollope contrives a plot wherein an impoverished vicar (quite presciently based on my own father) is implicated in the scandal of a stolen cheque. Trollope then uses this storyline to illustrate a range of Victorian societal views on issues of morality, religion, crime, gossip, friendship and, in a subplot, marriage and the role of women in determining their own futures. Along the way, we meet such unforgettable characters as the bishop and his insufferable wife and the ever-present vicar Josiah Crawley who we at once find ourselves both sympathising with and wanting to smack in the face.

The result is a very detailed portrayal of 19th century British life which, unlike Dickens, stops short of being at all an exaggerated caricature of the world of the novelist.

This is the last in a series of six books that Trollope wrote about the mythical county of Barsetshire and if any of the other novels are even half as good as this then that's an awful lot of good reading out there. I'll focus for the time being on the three other novels he wrote that have appeared on the 1001 list. But if I should in fact finish that before I die, I know where to come for more engrossing reads. ( )
  arukiyomi | Sep 9, 2016 |
This novel brings back many familiar characters (which I appreciated) and some new ones. It mainly tells the story of the Reverend Crawley (who readers will remember from earlier volumes) who is accused of stealing a check and using it to pay a bill at the butcher. He recalls that it came from Dean Arabin in a packet of bills, but the Dean denies that the check was in the packet. So consequently he begins to doubt himself and think that he really stole it; he sinks into a depressive state. This and the consequences of it form a big part of this novel.

The son of the Grantlys, Major Grantly, is in love with Grace Crawley, the elder daughter of the Crawleys, and she with him. This strikes horror in his parents, mainly his father the Archdeacon, who don't want him to marry beneath him, let alone the daughter of an accused thief.

But as in all of Trollope, there as subplots. The main one involves Johnny Eames who is still in love with Lily Dale, who steadfastly maintains she will not marry him even after seeing the man who threw her over twice and realizing she is no longer in love with him. John has a friend who's an artist, Conway Dalrymple, who paints pictures of real women in classical settings. Dalrymple invites him to a dinner party at another woman's house, where John meets various people who will figure in the subplots. They are too complicated for me to explain, but John goes to Italy to meet Mrs. Arabin, who solves the mystery of the missing check; John is a cousin of the Crawleys. There is also a lawyer with the delightful name of Mr. Toogood, who is related to the Crawleys too.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, and am sad that I've come to the end of the Barsetshire novels, as I was about the Palliser series last year. How will I get my Trollope fix?
  rebeccanyc | Aug 20, 2016 |

Trollope, AnthonyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilmartin, SophieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Skilton, DavidEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Small, HelenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trollope, JoannaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, TimothyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'I can never bring myself to believe it, John,' said Mary Walker, the pretty daughter of Mr George Walker, attorney of Silverbridge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

Anthony Trollope was a masterful satirist with an unerring eye for the most intrinsic details of human behavior and an imaginative grasp of the preoccupations of nineteenth-century English novels. In The Last Chronicle of Barset, Mr. Crawley, curate of Hogglestock, falls deeply into debt, bringing suffering to himself and his family. To make matters worse, he is accused of theft, can't remember where he got the counterfeit check he is alleged to have stolen, and must stand trial. Trollope's powerful portrait of this complex man-gloomy, brooding, and proud, moving relentlessly from one humiliation to another-achieves tragic dimensions. --Publisher.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437525, 0141199865

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,417,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible