The Last Chronicle of Barset (1867)

by Anthony Trollope

Series: The Barsetshire Chronicles (6)

1,682468,899 (4.28)5 / 327
Anthony Trollope was a masterful satirist with an unerring eye for the most intrinsic details of human behavior and an imaginative grasp of the preoccupations of nineteenth-century English novels. In "The Last Chronicle of Barset," Mr. Crawley, curate of Hogglestock, falls deeply into debt, bringing suffering to himself and his family. To make matters worse, he is accused of theft, can't remember where he got the counterfeit check he is alleged to have stolen, and must stand trial. Trollope's powerful portrait of this complex man-gloomy, brooding, and proud, moving relentlessly from one humiliation to another-achieves tragic dimensions.… (more)

Very long but it mostly didn't outstay its welcome. A final wrap up of all those Barsetshire characters and there was at least one scene at end that gave me tears in my eyes. Mr Crawley was a very strange character - almost autistic at a time when such a diagnosis would not have existed.
The whole Lily Dean and John Eames saga got a go around again and another conclusion. I never expected to like Trollope when my reading group first tackled "The Warden" but I do. Will carry on reading him. ( )
  infjsarah | Oct 26, 2022 |
I'm so sorry that this is the end of this series. I'm tempted to go back and start at the beginning again. David Shaw Parker is a wonderful narrator. These books are real comfort reads for me. Great depth, wonderful characters, great play of language in a world I love to visit. Beautifully done. ( )
  njcur | Feb 5, 2022 |
There are some slow stretches in the intervening chronicles between Barchester Towers and the Last Chronicle, but this makes up for it. In fact, you can probably just skip straight over the middle books unless you really like Trollope. I do. ( )
  wunder | Feb 3, 2022 |
We only have vol one from library sadly ! ( )
  SarahKDunsbee | Aug 2, 2021 |
The final book in Trollope’s Barsetshire series is a very long shaggy dog story (almost 1000 pages) about one of the least sympathetic characters, The Rev. Josiah Crawley who is the perpetual curate of Hogglestock, who has been accused of stealing 20 pounds. The Bishop of Barsetshire, based in the city of Barchester, is constantly goaded into righteous zeal by his ambitious wife. Bishop Proudie forbids Reverend Crawley to hold services until the case is settled, but Crawley refuses. This complicates the situation because even some of his supporters criticize Crawley for arrogance. Complicating things is the fact that Rev. Crawley’s daughter Grace is in a romantic relationship with Major Henry Grantly whose father is the Archdeacon of Barsetshire, and who is totally opposed to the marriage of his son to the daughter of a felon.

The plot goes here and there & rounds Robin Hood’s barn until Trollope has everything settled and all the major characters of his Barsetshire series accounted for. If this is the first Trollope novel you’ve ever picked up, you will give up by page 100. However, if you have followed Trollpe’s gentle satire of the Anglican church through his multiple volumes, you will hang in there, just to see how everyone turns out. ( )
  etxgardener | Jul 12, 2021 |

Trollope, JoannaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, TimothyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, A. N.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'I can never bring myself to believe it, John,' said Mary Walker, the pretty daughter of Mr George Walker, attorney of Silverbridge.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437525, 0141199865

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,326,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible