The BFG (1982)

by Roald Dahl

Other authors: Quentin Blake (Illustrator)

Kidsnatched from her orphanage by a BFG (Big Friendly Giant), who spends his life blowing happy dreams to children, Sophie concocts with him a plan to save the world from nine other man-gobbling cannybull giants.

English (277)  Dutch (7)  Hungarian (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Czech (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (291)
Hello, my name is Chelsea and I have loved The BFG beyond all reason since I was a little kid. I loved the weird animated movie from the nineties and I loved Disney's CGI creation that came out just a few years ago. It's like I'm incapable of not loving this story in any form it's in. When I was little, this was my comfort book. Whenever I was anxious or feeling unwell, I read this book. I read it when I was sick so many times that my original copy has orange juice stains on the corners of the pages.

As far as the plot goes, it's an original one. An orphan, Sophie, witnesses a giant, The BFG, blowing dreams into the windows of her neighbor's children's room. Except, it's just after midnight and at the time she has no idea what he's doing. The BFG reacts in what he views as a logical manner: he kidnaps Sophie and brings her back to Giant Country. The story that follows involves cannibalism, truly horrid vegetables, a visit to Queen Elizabeth, and a military campaign against the evil giants themselves.

Despite all these odd points, it remains one of my favorite books of all time and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to know what a good middle-grade book is like. ( )
  cthuwu | Jul 28, 2021 |
My 8 year old says this book is exciting, amazing and awesome. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
A friendly 24-foot-tall giant who has superhuman hearing and immense speed ( )
  VictorTran | Apr 19, 2021 |
Intermediate; Middle; Fantasy/ Science Fiction; This book is a sweet story about a good giant befriending a little girl after she sees him in the city. The two work together to put an end to the bad giants that eat people during the night. It is engaging and positive, fit for any audience as a read aloud book and for older children as read alone book. This was a great book that introduced honesty and being kind. ( )
  MaggieRemy | Feb 27, 2021 |
Okay, how have I NOT read this one yet? I've read so many Roald Dahl books and somehow missed The BFG. Goodness.
  rjcrunden | Feb 2, 2021 |
The BFG captures the imagination of every adult and child with an imagination worth capturing. Wonderfully written, witty, courageous, understated and with such a strong morality, this book is a treaure for young and old readers alike. We have been blessed with the gift of language and writers like Roald Dahl allow themselves to roll in the hay with letters and words. The result is a story with a big heart and a dancing theme.
added by bogs | editNew York Times, bogs (Oct 8, 2009)

Dahl, Roaldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziliotto , DonatellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a teacher's guide

For Olivia

20 April 1955 -
17 November 1962
Sophie couldn't sleep.
A brilliant moonbeam was slanting through a gap in the curtains. It was shining right onto her pillow.

out by alex

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805919, 0141322624, 0141332166, 014134301X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,707,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible