dismiss

Matilda (1988)

by Roald Dahl

Matilda applies her untapped mental powers to rid the school of the evil, child-hating headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, and restore her nice teacher, Miss Honey, to financial security.
    The Girl with the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another children's story about a girl with the power of telekinesis (being able to move things around without touching them)
    The BFG by Roald Dahl (Morteana)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: Wicked adults are defeated and there is much humor. Erudition is prized. T. H. White is funnier than Roald Dahl, more erudite and less grotesque.
    The Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: Trunchbull & Miss Breakbone have the same militant teaching style
    Someday Angeline by Louis Sachar (infiniteletters)
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (krizia_lazaro)
    Carrie by Stephen King (TomWaitsTables)
    Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles by Rupert Kingfisher (allthesedarnbooks)

English (377)  Dutch (9)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (397)
Not one of my favourite Roald Dahl's as a kid, although I didn't dislike it. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Reading with the kid.

Oh, Matilda is the penultimate Mary Sue, but you know what?

I don't care.

She's SO over-the-top brilliant, reading grown-up books after teaching herself to read by five-years-old, playing wonderful pranks to even the score at the injustice of the world and even getting superpowers when it becomes TOO MUCH to bear.

A wish-fulfillment novel? Absolutely! She even gets a much better family and solves all the problems and everything is LOVE AND LIGHT.

Unbelievable? Who cares! It's sweet and Miss Trunchbull was NASTY HORRIBLE and WICKED and deserves EVERYTHING she got!

Plus, I got a little girl to say, "That was AWESOME, daddy!"

Fair enough. Fair enough. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
more books about telepathic kids please! ( )
  uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
I haven't seen many good reviews expressing their thoughts about the book. Most of them talk about the audiobook's narrator, which I have not listened to, or they talk about the movie. So here's my review on the book without giving too much away.

Matilda is a cute girl with amazing wits and is extremely smart for her age. Her parents are obnoxious and stupid, only caring about money, their looks, and how people view them. They constantly yell at Matilda, saying there is no use in reading a book when you could get by in life without knowing anything. Matilda is the exact opposite of her family, seeing no use in watching television if she could read a book. She does all the chores in her house, cooking, and cleaning.

She asks her parents if she could go to school to learn more and after a little bit of arguing she wins. Her new teacher is wonderful, but her headmaster abuses children and gives cruel punishments for little things.

I was especially surprised by some of the violent acts that take place, otherwise, it's an amazing book. Roald Dahl's books always contain an aspect of violence that enhances the story without making the book too gruesome. This book does not disappoint. ( )
  sarveshi | May 6, 2020 |
Due to a popular film and musical adaptation, Matilda has been on my radar for quite some time. Having now read it, I am honestly surprised that people embrace it as much as they do. Whereas Silverstein’s darker poems were still lighthearted, Dahl’s work definitely leans on the side of being crueler. For example, all the abuse that goes on at the school and elsewhere can get a little overwhelming at times. Although I did not mind this, I am surprised this has not turned off more people to the book.

But, while that did not bother me so much, there was something else that still does. Seemingly out of nowhere, Dahl throws telekinesis into the story. Even more unforgivable than her inexplicably gaining this power is how Matilda inexplicably loses it. I was fine with her extraordinary wit outsmarting the adults, but this turn of events was where the story jumped the shark for me. Luckily, this does not happen until the end, so the vast majority of the novel was entertaining to read.

On a side note (just to clarify), it has been placed in the 'ILS 516 Multicultural & International Books' category since Dahl was British and uses common English idioms throughout. ( )
  TNAEWWF123 | Apr 27, 2020 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslet, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

For Michael and Lucy
It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers.
The reader of books

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314567, 0141805625, 0141322667

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,900,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible