Matilda (1988)

by Roald Dahl

Matilda applies her untapped mental powers to rid the school of the evil, child-hating headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, and restore her nice teacher, Miss Honey, to financial security.
Recently added byConnells, Lynwit98, alueck, Ryne-Eliabeth, IALibrary, EmilyMabb, Zhipeng1, private library, Masumi23
    The Girl with the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another children's story about a girl with the power of telekinesis (being able to move things around without touching them)
    The BFG by Roald Dahl (Morteana)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: Wicked adults are defeated and there is much humor. Erudition is prized. T. H. White is funnier than Roald Dahl, more erudite and less grotesque.
    Charlotte's Web by E B White (krizia_lazaro)
    The Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: Trunchbull & Miss Breakbone have the same militant teaching style
    Someday Angeline by Louis Sachar (infiniteletters)
    Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles by Rupert Kingfisher (allthesedarnbooks)
    Carrie by Stephen King (TomWaitsTables)

English (392)  Dutch (9)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (413)
This might be a perfect book. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
Of course Matilda is a cute book.
This is the first time I've read Matilda and I'm only a tad surprised. Obviously there are differences between the book and movie version, and I had only seen the movie version several times as a kid. I thought that Matilda had powers throughout the book but the powers were isolated to certain instances, which I thought was a smart plot move to support the overall theme. The characters were portrayed perfectly in the movie especially Miss Trunchbull and Matilda's dad. The only thing I found odd was Dahl's inconsistency largely when he switched tenses, which doesn't really matter in the scheme of YA writing. I loved this book and I'm glad I decided to read it.
I wish I had had a Miss Honey!! ( )
  booksforbrunch | May 5, 2021 |
I read this to my daughter and it’s the first time reading it for both of us. I really enjoyed it and actually would have like if it had been a longer book. I don’t know why it took me so long to read Matilda. But I’m glad I have. ( )
  Arkrayder | Mar 30, 2021 |
This book is about a young smart girl named Matilda that comes up with creative ways to outsmart the mean adults in her life. Matilda embarks on different adventures with the help of her teacher Ms. Honey and her classmates/friends. ( )
  virreyes7 | Mar 28, 2021 |

Winslet, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

For Michael and Lucy
It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers.
The reader of books

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314567, 0141805625, 0141322667

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,174,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible