HomeGroupsTalkExploreZeitgeist
Search Site
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Loading...

Matilda (1988)

by Roald Dahl

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
18,754434200 (4.26)323
Matilda applies her untapped mental powers to rid the school of the evil, child-hating headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, and restore her nice teacher, Miss Honey, to financial security.
  1. 60
    The Girl with the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another children's story about a girl with the power of telekinesis (being able to move things around without touching them)
  2. 61
    The BFG by Roald Dahl (Morteana)
  3. 31
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: Wicked adults are defeated and there is much humor. Erudition is prized. T. H. White is funnier than Roald Dahl, more erudite and less grotesque.
  4. 75
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (krizia_lazaro)
  5. 20
    The Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: Trunchbull & Miss Breakbone have the same militant teaching style
  6. 31
    Someday Angeline by Louis Sachar (infiniteletters)
  7. 00
    Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles by Rupert Kingfisher (allthesedarnbooks)
  8. 44
    Carrie by Stephen King (TomWaitsTables)
1980s (89)
Robin (12)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 323 mentions

English (412)  Dutch (9)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (433)
Showing 1-5 of 412 (next | show all)
recensione completa qui: http://thereadingpal.blogspot.it/2016/11/recensione-33-matilde.html


Avevano un figlio di
nome Michele e una figlia di nome Matilde,
e nutrivano per quest'ultima la stessa
considerazione che si ha per una crosta, cioè
per qualcosa che si è costretti a sopportare
fino al momento in cui la si può grattar via,
eliminandola con un colpetto delle dita.



E' difficile recensire i classici, soprattutto quando ti deludono quanto io sono stata delusa da questo libro. Anni fa ho visto il film, che non mi era particolarmente piaciuto ma neanche dispiaciuto, e ho voluto provare a leggere il libro.
Grande errore.
E' stata una lettura noiosa e totalmente irrealistica, che non solo mi ha fatto sbadigliare; mi ha irritato non poco. E si, so di non essere il "target" del libro, ma un buon libro si dovrebbe poter leggere ad ogni età, chiuso.
Matilde è un personaggio totalmente irrealistico. Irrispettosa, soprattutto verso i genitori, e irritante, mi ha fatto alzare gli occhi al cielo più di una volta. Un minimo di realismo si deve avere nei libri, ed una bimbetta di cinque anni non si comporterebbe e non parlerebbe minimamente come fa Matilde.
I genitori di Matilde sono anche peggio. Sì, ci sono genitori così, per davvero, questo non lo metto in dubbio. E difatti sono irritanti proprio per questo.
La signorina Dolcemiele e la signorina Spezzindue sono i personaggi più stereotipati e più fissi che io abbia mai visto in tutti i libri che ho letto, e ne ho letti abbastanza.
Il libro da anche un'idea sbagliata degli insegnanti, soprattutto attraverso la Spezzindue. Se mio figlio avesse un insegnante così, non solo fioccherebbero le denunce, ma io l'ammazzerei di mia mano, altro che essere spaventata.
Non c'è stata una sola, minima cosa che mi sia piaciuta in questo libro, e di sicuro non lo farei leggere ad un mio futuro figlio. Ci sono cose molto migliori da leggere in giro... ( )
  thereadingpal | Jun 14, 2022 |
Letto, riletto e stra-letto alle elementari (con tanto di film stra-visto).. Probabilmente è uno dei libri da rileggere nei giorni in cui ci si sente particolarmente malinconici e nostalgici :) ( )
  XSassyPants | Jun 11, 2022 |
Recommended by my 13-year old daughter who states that she read it in the fourth grade. I don't recall her reading a "whole" book in the fourth grade...that was one of our issues with reading! So, on a recent library trip, she saw this on the shelf and said that it was really good, kinda like the movie, and that I should read it. So, I did. Sometimes it is funny to me, a person who enjoys reading kids and YA books, how the author can still engage an adult's thinking. There were several mature spots in the story that I wondered who he was writing to exactly, kids or adults. Is it a kids book because the main character is a child? Or is it a grown-up book that is about a fantastically smart child who isn't noticed by her parents? I enjoyed the whole thing and loved Matilda and Miss Honey. Still picture Danny Devito as the dad.... ( )
1 vote BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Sterling Roald Dahl book. Just about my favorite childhood book because I was a "Matilda". All I'm going to say is this, "A girl and her books." What more could you want? ( )
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |
This is one of my favourite children's stories, because it shows that you can be anything you want to be, regardless of who you are, what you look like, and where you came from.
Matilda didn't have a very good start in life, having parents who didn't care a jot about her. But that didn't stop her, and also being very determined, made a huge difference too.
I loved her kind, caring personality, and how she always reached out to people who she knew would be a good friend.
This is one book that I would definitely recommend to any school age child, who loves a light hearted, fun, outwit the bully type story. ( )
1 vote deaflower | May 8, 2022 |
Showing 1-5 of 412 (next | show all)

» Add other authors (37 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslet, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a teacher's guide

You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
For Michael and Lucy
First words
It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers.
The reader of books
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Information from the Spanish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Blurbers
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS
Canonical LCC

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Matilda applies her untapped mental powers to rid the school of the evil, child-hating headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, and restore her nice teacher, Miss Honey, to financial security.

No library descriptions found.

Book description
Haiku summary

Popular covers

Quick Links

Rating

Average: (4.26)
0.5 1
1 18
1.5 5
2 92
2.5 23
3 528
3.5 116
4 1393
4.5 183
5 1896

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

Penguin Australia

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314567, 0141805625, 0141322667

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,700,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible