Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Matilda by Roald Dahl

Matilda (1988)

by Roald Dahl

The Girl With the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another children's story about a girl with the power of telekinesis (being able to move things around without touching them)
    The BFG by Roald Dahl (Morteana)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: Wicked adults are defeated and there is much humor. Erudition is prized. T. H. White is funnier than Roald Dahl, more erudite and less grotesque.
    The Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: Trunchbull & Miss Breakbone have the same militant teaching style
    Someday Angeline by Louis Sachar (infiniteletters)
    Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles by Rupert Kingfisher (allthesedarnbooks)
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (krizia_lazaro)
    Carrie by Stephen King (TomWaitsTables)

English (356)  Dutch (8)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (375)
Ho adorato questo libro fin dalle prime pagine!
Matilda è un bambina di 5 anni con una intelligenza di gran lunga superiore al resto dei bambini della sua età. Questa sua dote però non viene riconosciuta dai genitori (che la trattano malissimo) e neanche dalla preside della scuola che frequenta.
L'unica che le crede e che vuole aiutarla ad emergere è la dolce insegnante Mrs Honey con la quale Matilda crea subito un bellissimo legame di amicizia.
La storia è molto carina, anche se le ingiustizie che subisce Matilda mi hanno fatto venire il nervoso nei primi capitoli, avrei voluto picchiare i genitori!!!
Un libro per ragazzi ma che possono leggere anche gli adulti per passare qualche ora spensierata! ( )
  Feseven78 | Apr 17, 2019 |
What fun! ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Mar 28, 2019 |
When reading this book I thought it would be like the movie Matilda, but it was better. This is a story about a little girl who has family issues because her parents did not understand how to realize she was brilliant! She taught herself to read. Matilda was a genius and her parents did not approve of it. All she wanted to do was read books. This book is nothing like the movie, but is an awesome book for middle schoolers to read! ( )
  TaylorBraswell | Mar 16, 2019 |
Synopsis: This is a classic children's book.
Matilda is a precocious little girl who reads well above her age level. She longs for knowledge but her parents have no love of books or learning. When she finally is allowed to go to school she finds a teacher who appreciates her keen mind and thinks she needs to be in gifted classes. Unfortunately, the principle doesn't agree. Matilda uses her intellect and supernatural powers to play pranks on the adults who wrong her.

My rating: 3/5

This book didn't really work for me. I did like the relationship between Matilda and her teacher Miss Honey. I also loved Matilda's passion for books and the early scenes with her in the library.

The ending was heartwarming and I thought that the last quarter of the book was decent though I wasn't much of a fan of the first 3/4.

I liked Matilda's power though I thought it should have featured sooner in the book.

My biggest complaint about this book was the child abuse. I thought it was overdone and hard to stomach, especially for a children's book.

All of the adults in this book, with the exception of Miss Honey, are terrible people. That really bothered me. The terrible adults are very underdeveloped as characters and we only ever see Matilda's dislike of them and her negative feelings towards her parents.

Another issue I had, and this is very much a personal thing, I felt like there was a lot of fat shaming in this book. The mother and principle (both terrible people) are both fat and that is mentioned several times while Miss Honey is thin and fragile.

Matilda as a character didn't work for me either. I didn't think that the tricks she was doing were warranted (except perhaps to the principle).

I think that several things in the book were meant to be humorous but I just didn't find them funny. This really just wasn't a book for me. I know it is a loved classic and that I am offering an unpopular opinion but I just didn't like this book very much. ( )
  authorjanebnight | Mar 14, 2019 |
A hilarious children's book about a girl who is so talented and brainy that she's developing supernatural abilities. Too bad her parents are ignoramuses and her principal is a horrible mean hammer throw champion.

Read this in Slovene under the title Matilda. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslet, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Boy / The Witches / Matilda by Roald Dahl

Matilda / Fantastic Mr. Fox / The Witches / The BFG by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl 6-Book Boxed Set: The Witches, George's Marvelous Medicine, The Twits, Esio Trot, Matilda, The BFG by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl Omnibus: The BFG / Matilda / George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl

Gsx: Dahl 10 Copy Audio Set in Zipped Tin (Tbp) by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl 15 Book Box Set (Slipcase) by Roald Dahl

Has the adaptation

For Michael and Lucy
It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers.
The reader of books

Matilda applies her untapped mental powers to rid the school of the evil, child-hatting headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, and restore her nice teacher, Miss Honey, to financial security.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410373, Paperback)

Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. For starters she has two of the most idiotic, self-centered parents who ever lived. Then there's the large, busty nightmare of a school principal, Mrs. ("The") Trunchbull, a former hammer-throwing champion who flings children at will and is approximately as sympathetic as a bulldozer. Fortunately for Matilda, she has the inner resources to deal with such annoyances: astonishing intelligence, saintly patience, and an innate predilection for revenge.

She warms up with some practical jokes aimed at her hapless parents, but the true test comes when she rallies in defense of her teacher, the sweet Miss Honey, against the diabolical Trunchbull. There is never any doubt that Matilda will carry the day. Even so, this wonderful story is far from predictable--the big surprise comes when Matilda discovers a new, mysterious facet of her mental dexterity. Roald Dahl, while keeping the plot moving imaginatively, also has an unerring ear for emotional truth. The reader cares about Matilda because in addition to all her other gifts, she has real feelings. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

Matilda, a brilliant, sensitive little girl, uses her talents and ingenuity to seek revenge on her crooked father, lazy mother, and the terrifying Miss Trunchbull, her wicked headmistress, and save her beloved teacher, Miss Honey.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314567, 0141805625, 0141322667

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible