Charlotte's Web (1952)

by E. B. White

Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend, Charlotte, decides to help him.
Robin (5)
Read (14)

English (936)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (938)
Excellent book that I originally read as a child. ( )
  Jimbookbuff1963 | Jun 5, 2021 |
This is a beautiful story I read to my daughter over forty years ago, enjoying it as much as she did. ( )
  LGCullens | Jun 1, 2021 |
Journey of a pig and spider on their farm ( )
  VictorTran | Apr 19, 2021 |
This book is about a spider, pig and young girl who have a beautiful friendship and the different things that occur on the farm. ( )
  virreyes7 | Mar 28, 2021 |
This is an amazing story about a pig named Wilber and a spider named Charlotte. The two build a friendship and Charlotte teaches Wilber about life and never giving up. Charlotte makes amazing webs in order to make Wilber stand out and protect him from being killed. This book is great for children because it teaches them to not judge a book by its cover. It also teaches students the value of friendship and determination. ( )
  chloeherrera33 | Mar 26, 2021 |

Ferrari, AntongionataIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Streep, MerylNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
On foggy mornings, Charlotte’s web was truly a thing of beauty. This morning each thin strand was decorated with dozens of tiny beads of water. The web glistened in the light and made a pattern of loveliness and mystery, like a delicate veil. (77)
“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy. Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days…” (164).
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that” (164).
Every day Wilbur would stand and look at the torn, empty web, and a lump would come to his throat. No one had ever had such a friend – so affectionate, so loyal, and so skillful. (173)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch. (176)

This is the tale of how a little girl named Fern, with the help of a friendly spider called Charlotte, saved her pig, Wilbur, from the usual fate of nice fat little pigs.
Wilbur is a runt,
Zuckerman plans to eat him,
Can Charlotte save him?
In danger near Christmastime,
But one spider helps.
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

E B White's book CHARLOTTE’S WEB was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

4 1968

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141317345, 0141316047, 0141333383

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,057,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible